New Better Than Bouillon

We recently added a tablespoon or more of this to a low sodium beef broth - we were making mushroom gravy for Jagerschnitzel and it came out quite tasty and wasn’t overly salty. They also have a chicken concentrate I’m going to try.

3 Likes

love that one too.

I think my mistake was getting the Costco sized jar. Still working on mine (maybe a little longer than I should have). I like old fashion chicken broth for some things, and then I use this or similar bouillon for others. I should stick with regular sized jars, and try some different varieties.

Is there a secret to getting this stuff to dissolve well though? While it is ok when blended into your pot of food, when I try to be precise and mix this in with hot water for a recipe, it invariably stays a bit goopy and doesn’t fully dissolve. When I pour that cup of broth into the dish, I sometimes get leftover BTB goop still clinging to the measuring cup. This happens with my giant Costco jar, or a newly opened jar, so don’t give me that sus look at my jar of BTB in the fridge. :smirk:

1 Like

I use a whisk after adding the hot or cold liquid. The shelf life is good but you can always transfer to a freezer vessel in portions or flatpack in freezer bags portioned.

3 Likes

@kobuta I measure very hot tap water, then add the BTB and stir with a fork. Works most of the time.

1 Like

I do that with my hot water pot too. Adding almost boiling water, and I stir…still doesn’t dissolve it completely unless I really spend 5 minutes with a fork/whisk trying to break up those bits. At best I still get little clumps.

1 Like

water first, then BTB, helps to prevent sticking in the corners. Sometimes I stir with the measuring spoon, and the concentrate dissolves gradually.

Do you store the jar in the frig? I haven’t had a dissolving issue at all but what you describe sounds like more than typical. If you have a microwave, would a few secs in there help loosen it, then hot water?

1 Like

I just bought a jar of beef, of chicken, and of mushroom. I’d love to hear your favorite ways to use this product. It sounds - so far - like gravies, and adding a touch to various soups and stews to enhance the umami qualities of the dish.

2 Likes

Soups, stews, marinades, dips, to enhance water in a recipe, in stir fry, in savory bread dough (like biscuits) in pasta, in a wet rub. We like it as an alternative to salt in a dish where doable.

7 Likes

I use half-strength to make quick broth bases for soups, where the broth is not the main flavouring agent. I like the flavour of the vegetable variety enough to use (half-strength) the base for quick soup noodles. i.e., when one might otherwise open packet noodles.

3 Likes

Helpful tip, thank you!

1 Like

Forgot to mention adding flavor to meatloaf or meatballs.

5 Likes

That’s a thing for my daughter too.

3 Likes

I store it in the freezer, as it still scoops without thawing. I usually let the scooped amount thaw for a bit first, then whisk with boiling water or stir it into boiling soup/stock/sauce…

4 Likes

I’ve never used these as I figured they were mainly salt. What is your best way to use them?

1 Like

I’ve had trouble with jars cracking in the freezer so we use stasher bags or ice cube trays.

I use it when a recipe calls for broth but it’s not really a featured ingredient, for example a taco filling. I usually have homemade chicken stock cubes in the freezer, but never have beef.

1 Like

They are not nearly as salty tasting as cubes and powders. Beef is especially useful because it takes FAR more beef to make a worthy homemade stock than to make one with poultry. I use beef BTB plus water and homemade chicken or turkey stock when I make onion soup. Since I started doing this, I have never ordered French Onion Soup in a restaurant because I adore onions, and my homemade version is better than the FOS I have had in even deluxe restaurants.

Other than that, I add BTB to the cooking water for rice, noodles, and dumplings. It also serves to extend pan drippings so as to make larger amounts of gravy. I use fish, clam, or lobster BTB for chowders.

7 Likes

I love that idea!i think I’ll pick some up!

1 Like