Nettie's house of spaghetti - tinton falls, nj

I will chime in and say, as a person who spent way too much time trying every happy hour in the area for a while, the rule of thumb for is that it’s bar area only. It’s the exception more than the norm that you can get HH deals at the main seating areas.

At Avenue, on some happy hour nights it would get positively absurd, there were times when the restaurant was basically empty while the bar is so packed you can’t even place an order.

2 Likes

Yes, everyone has different experiences and expectations. However I do think that it’s up to the restaurant, rather than the consumer, to make those expectations clear in their written advertisements.

I think Nettie’s was generous to accommodate a patron who misinterpreted their vague statement of ‘all menu drinks’ being discounted. One has to be careful when saying all, never, etc. :unicorn:

2 Likes

Yeah, making that adjustment if the customer didn’t know and you didn’t specify - that’s a no brainer IMO.

2 Likes

At Avenue, one can sit at the booths by the bar and get happy hour prices. My friends recently went to Johnny Piancone’s in Long Branch for happy hour. Because the small bar was full, they were seated at a table and happy hour prices were honored.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the info. I want to say when I used to go that wasn’t the case at Avenue but I’m not entirely sure. I stopped going because it was so hard to get a seat some times (and because their food deals kinda stink now).

Another very good meal with the family this past Friday at Nettie’s. We started out with the house-made mozzarella and and an order of the 30 month aged prosciutto along with their great bread and olive oil. We then followed with their ever dependable carbonara, ravioli and vinegar chicken and finished with their bomboloni and orange cake. Everything from the food to the service was spot on. As I am sure you can tell from this and my prior posts, I really like and appreciate this restaurant and I have to make an effort to dine there more often.

4 Likes

@bgut1 - I too have enjoyed numerous meals at Nettie’s. In case anyone is looking for something to do on Thanksgiving Eve…

It’s been a year since we opened our doors and we think that calls for a celebration! :champagne::partying_face:
Please join us for dinner on Wednesday, Nov. 27th, and stay for the party afterwards! We’ll have food & drink specials all night throughout the restaurant. DJ Foggy Notion starts spinning records at 9pm. Come party!

1 Like

Based on the recommendations here I decided here rather than Zhangs… :joy:

The first issue is I got off duty a bit late and when we called they were very cooperative and all was handled with no fuss… Extra points here. And from the moment when we did arrive and were seated the service was impeccable. Lots more points since the service can make or break an entire meal.

I very much enjoyed the simple menu that had enough variety yet did not overwhelm. We choose to start with the ricotta and the fennel along with the Hen of the Woods mushrooms and salad. And now the food review…

[20200126_180347|525x700]

upload://xTUEhkUcflA6tAQlLT8DPWLStyx.jpeg

The salad was enormous and wonderful. The amount of dressing was exact… Every bite had some but there was no puddle at the bottom as some times happens. The flavors and textures were spot on. However, while the salad mostly would be considered 'chopped ’ there were just enough oversized pieces which made the one ability to put a fork full in one’s mouth difficult on occasion. The ricotta was simple and succulent… I was thrilled at this point.

But then came the mushrooms. Hen of the woods have a unique and earthy taste and deserve just that hint of spice, salt, bite to complement them… Not here, the overly thick and bland batter completely eliminated any trace of the mushrooms… My wife, a mushroom fanatic, was crushed…

And then finally the fennel arrived… Based on dishes served around us, it might have been overlooked… Yet it was the stunner of the night. Soft but not mushy and flavored perfectly with a hint of pear? Slices. Perfection. Maybe a touch more acid but otherwise excellent

I almost stopped there but the main courses were still to come. Vinegar chicken and the night’s special Lasagna…

I can’t say anything about the chicken as it was on point. All the textures, the layers of flavor, the juiciest chicken I have had in a very long time… A 10 of 10…

But the lasagna was meh… Not enough red sauce. Very bland. Too much soggy almost massively dense layers of pasta at the bottom. No umami at all. It was huge as the waiter had said but… It need punch, some red pepper flakes? Some sharp salty parm? Maybe, gasp, some meat to provide counterpoint to the starch… Very disappointing…

Finished off with the bombolino and coffee…

Ultimately we will be back, but a bit more strategic in ordering…

9 Likes

Well I’m glad you enjoyed what you enjoyed and well…sorry about the couple of disappointments. I’m aware this might draw the ire of the owner but it’s similar to my past experiences, some good/great dishes and some let downs. Service on 2 of my trips were very good, once it was very slow.

(FYI I think you tried to post two more pics, I went into moderator / edit mode but couldn’t figure out why they aren’t posting, if you want to to re-upload them)

1 Like

Reuploaded… All good…

1 Like

I feel like we need to start a cheat sheet of the verified winning dishes here so people can make sure to order plus dishes. This s def on my list to try as I think it’s a unique concept and def close by and not in a "hot spot’ like RB or SB, which I appreciate.

2 Likes

I can see it now…

Wait staff: are you ready to order?
Me: yes. I will have the HO dinner meal number 3…

5 Likes

All I can say is that mine was definitely not one of the recommendations that drew you here. Still sounds like you had a better meal than I did Ed.

Thanks for the review and the excellent pictures and I am glad you enjoyed your meal. I’ve never had the lasagna and can’t comment on it though I have had the hen of woods mushrooms and really enjoyed them. Your picture shows quite a dusting of za’atar and I am surprised therefore that the batter was bland. The spices and a nice squeeze of lemon usually do the trick for me. I am going to give it another try the next time I am there. Your comments are spot on about the house salad and vinegar chicken which are my favorites. I am going to assume you liked the bombolino (which is another favorite) and I would suggest giving the orange cake a try the next time there.

2 Likes

If you are tempted to give them another try, I would love to join you.

That sounds great @bgut1 ! As long as you don’t mind eating early one night, let’s do it.

We have not been back to Nettie’s since our first time. Depending on what day/date you decide to go, perhaps Michael and I could join you and @bgut1? (We’re fine with eating early.)

Sounds great to me! I don’t think we’ve all eaten together since the old Chowhound days.

I think you’re right. It’s been a very long time.

That’s awesome. Getting the old gang back together. Let’s circulate some dates and times. I am open for during the week and early as well. I can’t wait to see you both.