Need some minced pork inspirations

Lettuce wraps?

3 Likes

THIS!
I second.

1 Like

By “except meatballs” - do you mean all meatballs :joy:? Because my first thoughts were Italian meatballs in red sauce and Lion’s head meatballs. But I’m thinking of non-meatball ideas.

1 Like

Thai larb - I love the chicken version, but pork may actually be more authentic. Easy too.

You could make a version of various things that typically use chunks/slices of meat too, by browning the minced pork and adding to the sauce - bulgogi, kheema, vindaloo, and so on. And bulgogi reminds me - you could also use as a component in bibimbap.

+1 Ants Climbing A Tree. I actually bought ground pork specially for this and forgot to make it.

4 Likes

We make this French Canadian meat pie every year for Christmas but it would be good anytime!

Tourtiere

This filling is for one pie.

pastry for two crust pie.

1 large onion chopped
2 or 3 tablespoons oil or butter
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 pounds of ground pork
1 cup gravy or stock (saved from turkey or pork)
2 russett potatoes (par boiled)
2 Tablespoons chopped celery leaves
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon thyme,
1/2 teaspoon rosemary (or more)
salt and pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon allspice, more to taste

Saute the onion in oil until transparent, add the garlic and saute for
one minute and then add the ground pork. Cook until the meat is brown.
Add 1/2 cup stock or gravy and cover pan and simmer for about 15 or 20
minutes. Preheat oven to 425°F

Uncover pan and reduce liquid to 2 or 3 tablespoons. Add the
seasonings and stir to blend.Adjust seasonings to taste. Add potatoes
and add enough additional gravy to moisten. Should not be too wet.

Spoon filling into pastry shell. Use egg glaze on along overhand.
Place crust on top and trim. Fold the top edge under the bottom and
crimp edge. Brush with egg glaze and decorate with extra pastry if
desired. Sprinkle with Coarse salt.

Bake in the lower third of oven for 15 minutes and then raise to the
middle shelf, lower heat to 350 and continue to bake until golden
brown. About 45 to 55 minutes.

7 Likes

I keep ground pork in flat 2 oz portions in the freezer wrapped in wax or parchment paper and use it fairly often. Some ideas (most of which have already been mentioned above):

mapo tofu

zhajiangmian

pad Thai

dandanmian

ants climbing a tree

hu tieu nam vang

yuk bang https://thewoksoflife.com/steamed-pork-salted-fish/

2 Likes

Actually why not?! Meatballs or sausages deserve a thread on their own. :rofl: Love lion’s head meatballs, a recipe I used with great success.

The meat pie is delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Now I try to think where do all the minced pork end up in France
 they are used in meatloaf or farce (sometimes mixed with beef as well), sausages, meatballs and pork paté.

1 Like

I don’t know about this particular Vietnamese noodle soup, thanks for the introduction.

2 Likes

The Cuban hash looks good.

2 Likes

How can I forget beancurd roll? One of my favourites in dim sum.

I like the version with bamboo shoots more.

Ha, I was going to say there are tons of Chinese recipes with minced pork and I see you already have a bunch of them. I prefer mapo tofu with minced pork over minced beef, which some recipes call for. One of my dad’s and sister’s favorite is the very homey steamed pork with salted fish patty, which was already mentioned.

How about Vietnamese fried spring rolls (cha gio)?

Blend minced pork with minced beef and you can make Japanese hamburg steaks.

How about Beijing style Zha jian mian? This website suggested diced pork, but I usually see it with minced pork.

One of the things I’ve always wanted to try, but never have is to make Scotch eggs. The pork wrapping is actually sausage meat, so you’d have to flavor the pork to make ‘sausage meat’ first.

3 Likes

Me too but it’s because of deep fry, don’t do a lot at home! Yeah, they are sausage meat.

Another favourite with minced pork that came to mind was steamed eggs with minced pork. I’ve made it once but the egg didn’t come out as I hoped, so no recipe to share.

There are a few recipes for an oven-baked version, but since I like the runny egg yolks, this would do me no good. If you’re not averse to a fully cooked egg in the center, you can try the baked version.

A great way to use up the last of the season’s cucumbers.

2 Likes

I liked both of these recipes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bonappetit.com/recipe/stir-fried-udon-with-pork/amp

Could make pork pies or empanadas

3 Likes