Need advice with two party apps pls!

Food bank?

2 Likes

I doubt it, especially if it’s cut up/unpackaged.

1 Like

What kind of cheeses? Perhaps you can repurpose somehow - i.e. gratin, fromage fort, fondue, grilled cheese, etc., … but 6lbs is a LOT, I’ll give you that.

2 Likes

Doesn’t hurt to ask.

2 Likes

1 batch of Martha’s Perfect Mac and Cheese used about 2 lbs iirc. Her mac and cheese freezes well.

1 Like

The biggest is a giant hunk of Jarlsberg. I did put them all in the freezer. The family is very cheese-picky. So if they won’t eat it fresh, they won’t eat it melted either. I also hate tossing food, but if the freezer changes the texture for the worse, I will toss it. I don’t need to eat that much cheese alone! I also have a bunch of Beemster gouda and the red wine soaked cheddarish one. All three from costco i.e. massive. Also a chunk of brie, someone left smoked cheddar, and naturally all the bits and bobs of cheese we just had for our own use before I went party shopping. Ah well.

3 Likes

I’d probably use the Jarslberg in Cheese Spaetzle.

My uncle sent us 7 different cheeses around Dec 15th, around 5 lbs. I’ve already used up most of them.

I used half the Jalapeño cheese tonight in Enchiladas.

1 Like

Very, very nice!

Freeze some and whip out for magic hostessing when friends drop by. Especially the quiche bars.

1 Like

I wolfed down mini quiche for lunch today while standing at the kitchen island. :joy:

1 Like

I don’t know much about Jarlsberg (never having bought it), but given the quantity mix of cheeses at hand, I’d suggest grating in the FP before freezing so it’s easily usable later.

Or turning it into cheese sauce that can be used for all kinds of things (mac & cheese being the most obvious, but cheesy bechamel / mornay goes well with plenty of other things like potato and cauliflower).

Another good use for frozen cheese is Apero bread or other savory cheese quick breads or gougeres (see this BCOTQ for a number of iterations, though Dorie’s version was my introduction to this dish) – but it takes less space to store grated cheese than to freeze baked goods incorporating it :joy:

2 Likes

You can use Jarlsberg pretty much anywhere you would use a Swiss type cheese - Mac and cheese, fondue, quiche, grilled cheese. It does freeze well. As @Saregama suggested, you may want to grate it for easier use when thawed.

3 Likes

TWO POUNDS OF CHEESE :astonished: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

ETA: OTOH, that only leaves 4 lbs for @Sasha to contend with…

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions all but as a rule, no one here but me eats hot or melted cheese, except on pizza and the occasional grilled cheese (2 of us). Mac and cheese is not a thing here. Nor are cheese topped casseroles, gratins, and so on. They are most open to eating cheese in its cold state, with bread and cheese and pickly things. But not the particular types of cheese that I have a lot left of. Hence my predicament is not from I don’t know how to use it up, but rather, no one here likes it but me. It’s ok. No pity party needed :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’d give it to a friend who makes those things we’ve suggested, if you have way too much, if you have a friend who will take it. Or do a trade with a local Hungry Onion Cheesehound. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Eh. Get a new fam :wink:

5 Likes

This is a very good suggestion.

Ya know, that’s so much easier :joy:

1 Like

Of course. Just the wrong cheeses, as I mentioned. Note to self. Never buy 10 lbs of things, even for a party. And don’t buy things that no one in your family will eat but you, if they are left over.

4 Likes

I have 2 friends who are usually grateful recipients when I buy the wrong things or too many things.

One gets whole coffee beans and pretty much everything I don’t like.

The other gets extra produce from the farmers’ market that is too much for our house and surplus wheat carbs, since they don’t buy wheat carbs because his wife is gluten-free and Celiac.

Toronto now has some community fridges where one can leave unopened cheese, dairy, meat and eggs.

1 Like