Need a "Food Photography & Video" board!

I have a few “film” cameras as well, some with film still in them! I’ve taken old VHS tapes to Walmart, and they can put it on CD’s. (remember them?). I think they might take film as well, but they send them out.

1 Like

Yes! photography is painting with light. The biggest misconception people has is that better camera produces better pictures. Rather, a better photographer produces better pictures. I still remember how disappointed I was with my first set of SLR pictures when I thought they would take that magical step up from my snapshot pictures.

I think the best set up for anyone learning to take pictures, or food pictures, is get a cheap old DSLR, get a sharp prime, get a cheap flash, and learn all about natural light and bouncing the flash.

3 Likes

What do you recommend now that they are discontinued?

For better food photos, if you don’t want to invest in lights, one of the best option is to use natural light at daytime. Unfortunately, most cooking are done at night.

3 Likes

My stove top light works great!

2 Likes

I built a replica of that light using about $30 USD in parts from a hardware store and crafts store since I couldn’t find anything similar online. Took 10 minutes to assemble.

The key elements are two daylight spectrum LED bulbs with a CRI (color rendering index) of 90+ (don’t get any in the 80s) and some craft fabric to diffuse (soften) that light, so it’s not too harsh. The other parts were a 2 bulb adapter, a lamp cord to plug it in to, and a foam posterboard.

This page outlines how to put those parts together. The main difference is that I used LED bulbs rather than CFL. http://thesuchef.com/2015/04/09/diy-lowel-ego-light-box/

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips and the link, very useful.

1 Like

Another pic using the galaxy auto food setting
Dinner looked better than it tasted

EDITED to add iPhone pic

And one taken with iPhone 8

4 Likes

I like the first one better; not sure why. My husband has a recent iPhone. Do you choose settings, or do you let it do it’s iPhone thing?

I took the pic with the iPhone and let it do it’s own thing … I’m really liking the galaxy, DH took that pic

1 Like

I like it too! Is that a galaxy phone or a tablet?

galaxy phone and my iPhone is a 6 his is an 8, so the pic I took was with the iPhone 6, his 8 takes better pics, but I still am liking the galaxy … Sorry for the confusion .

1 Like

For the colours, I prefer slightly the iPhone photo, more warmth. But both are very good.

Of course the galaxy one has a nice field of depth, which only the recent iPhones X or Plus versions with 2 cameras have it.

Which camera do you use for your food photos?

I use an Olympus E-M5 II paired with either a macro lens or a 50mm equivalent.

2 Likes

I looked through the pics I took the other night, there are a couple that are nearly as good as the galaxy pics … I also made a mistake I have DH’s older 8, he has the 10 + but was using his galaxy work phone. We never bring a camera and lenses into a restaurant, but he often schelps an enormous ipad with him … it does take great food pics

1 Like

I have been schlepping my iPad to restaurants as well lately :grinning: It takes better food pictures than my Nikon Coolpix, and you don’t have that annoying flash that over brightens the food.

2 Likes

Steve Jobs has got to be rolling :sob:

2 Likes

Can I call it “food photography” if it’s a pepper plant?

This time of year I’m taking more pictures in the garden than in the kitchen. I’m sharing this one because I’m trying to figure out what to make of this close-up function. I think it’s called macro.

2 Likes

Hi jon914,

Was the macro lens you used on your Oly OMD 5 mkII the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro? Was it autofocus or manual focus? It is supposed to be a very good lens but might take some work in the manual focus mode.