Necessity is the Mother of Invention....Great Food Related Inventions

Yes, many of these dried fish (and other dried seafood) can be used for fish stock. Some are indeed used for its meat too, but they need to be soften up either by steaming or by heating in water.

“neatly” crack the egg top is the key. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! Mine doesn’t work that way. It has a spring inside and you lift the handle all the way the way up then let it spring back down to make the crack. As I said, in some cases I do think the edge of a spoon is just as good, but it’s just so cool!! :sunglasses:

OMG, this might be a life changing moment. That is awesome!! How have I never seen one of these before??? Williams and Sonoma I know what I’m getting for Christmas this year. I’m so bad at peeling eggs I’ve just accepted shell fragments as part of the experience.

Tuna jerky is ono!

Unless you have a thing for mono-taskers, just use a vegetable peeler. Works perfectly.

I have, and recommend, the Rosle Egg Cracker/Topper. It’s <$15 on Amazon. The first time I saw this style was on Martha Stewart’s pre-jail series. Looked it up at the time but it was almost $100.

Every year I get my wife a novelty Christmas gift or two from Williams Sonoma, I do believe this is going to be on the list this year.

But, J, it’s not a peeler.

Correct, but it removes the top for easier peeling/eating, correct? No more mouth full of shrapnel.

Thx…My counselor recommended I take shop classes, as community college would be a reach!

1 Like

Thanks, NJVV!

Never tried it on a hard boiled egg. I always just crush the egg lightly on the counter or cutting board and roll it around to loosen the shell. If there’s a problem removing shell, usually because the egg is too fresh, I don’t know if this gadget would help. I’ll try it soon and report, but it seems like more effort than necessary.

Awesome! I’m buying this right now from Amazon. Can’t wait to use it.

Wait… Wait. … (or is it too late?)

Anyway, I have seen videos where it works 100% of the time, and I have also seen videos where it works like only some of the time. You may want to watch a few more videos to decide.

Not too late, I started having too much fun shopping for other things so it’s sitting in the shopping cart. Thanks for the tip. I’ll do more research first.

But it looks like so much fun!!

The one in the video seems to use the weight of the ball coming down, and I can’t speak to its success rate. The one I have uses a spring-loaded mechanism and works over 90% of the time on the first try. Sometimes s harder shell gets in the way of success, but mine always completes the job with a second whack regardless.

1 Like

wish I knew about this knife
Have u heard of the Emile Henry’s 4 inch butter pot ?
I simply change the water every day using 2-3 ice cubes before I use it, so by the time breakfast is finished, when I invert the top piece of the pot with the butter, the ice is almost melted . I will consider getting one of these knife in the near future.

The 4-Inch Butter Pot from Emile Henry keeps your butter soft and spreadable without refrigeration. The ingenious system uses ordinary tap water to keep your butter fresh for up to 30 days. Simply fill the base with the recommended amount of water, spread the a softened stick of butter in the top and invert into the base. With regular water changings, the butter will stay fresh and spreadable for up to 30 days.

1 Like

Butter stays fresh and spreadable for a month on a dish in a cupboard too. (not that a stick of butter often lasts that long in our house.)

3 Likes

Hmmmmm. Looks like there’s disagreement on the innerwebs about that. I looked because you made me think.

Not exactly the NIH, but still. Listeria sounds like a summer bummer.