Nashville hot chicken recipe/method?

I’ve never had Nashville hot chicken but I want to try making it. Has anyone tried making it? I guess it’s marinated/brined, breaded then topped with some type of hot sauce after frying. Any recipe or preparation suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks!

I’ve only eaten it once. In Nashville, at the Listening Room Cafe.

My recollection is that there was heat in the coating, as well as the hot sauce added after frying.

By the by, I found it too hot for my tastes. Glad I ate it in its home city but I wouldnt order it again.

Nashville hot chicken is actually dipped in spicy oil, not hot sauce, after frying. Most recipes I have seen suggest using some of the deep fry oil to make the hot oil for the dip.

1 Like

my pal made it by sort of brushing some mixture of oil and spices on at end and then shaking some other spices/salt on after so it wasnt greasy to the touch. there’s spice also in the coating. it didn’t come out as good as hattie b’s or their knock off, howlin rays, but was fun to try out and taste.

(post deleted by author)

Hmmm… seems to me adding oil to fried chicken means… oily fried chicken.

Consider a sauce with the spices. You can bloom them in a bit of the oil (or butter), but then cook with a bit of broth/wine/vinegar/bourbon/etc… with maybe a bit of sugar and cornstarch, cooking until it is bubbly and a lot thicker than just spiced oil. This will add flavor and help keep the chicken crispy way longer.

well, when it’s done well it’s really not oily at all and is still crispy – there’s def more than just oil in that mixture before the dry spice shake

when my friend did it, it was a little oily!

2 Likes

Looks delish… but i’m curious about the temp of that spiced oil just after the fry. I do a bunch of stuff (mostly Asian) that involves a double fry. If that spiced oil is reasonably hot (or even warm when adding the first fry immediately) I can envision it coming out well.

1 Like

It’s really good. I bet it is warm that makes sense. I think whatever is in that shake that goes on after sorta adheres with the oil mixture and hardens together. I go for the wings not the sandwich so i can really enjoy the crunch and the heat.

1 Like