Name a Useless Cookware You Have

Did you know there’s a SS filter disc for Aeropress? No involvement of the bleached paper circles…

There are very large non-Italian populations in most of the Italian cities where I spend a lot of my time – Bangladeshi in Bologna and Palermo, Chinese in Florence/Genoa, Latin/Central American and Middle Eastern in Milan, Africans in Napoli. So stocking spices isn’t the difficulty. But on any given day, finding ingredients to make a dish that calls for non-Italian rice, oil that isn’t olive oil, tofu, bok choy, tortilla chips, mango, etc would be a challenge. In the shops closest to me, my butcher only carries lamb at Easter time (and never duck) and some Items like scallions are only available seasonally, and I actually never see fresh corn on the cob any time of year anywhere in Italy. There are ethnic restaurants should I feel like eating Indian, Mexican, Chinese and loads of kebab stands.

Also, my Italian kitchen is a fraction of the size of what has become standard in other countries. I have no place to store 3 different kinds of oils or rice, or special cookware for tangines or a wok.

Fortunately, I really like eating Italian food every day, and cooking it, and the ingredients that are available to me for that are fabulously delicious in the shops right at hand.

I read similar comments from quite a few folks on forums and in reviews some years back. But I was curious and obsessed. I just think not every method is suited to every coffee drinker.

I didn’t, but I use (unbleached) paper filters a lot for single cup pour over and love the result.

I’m over the breakup; the Aero and I are both ok with it. :wink:

Maybe I just don’t want to think/work this hard… since I already love my coffee as is: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/04/14/399337724/how-aeropress-fans-are-hacking-their-way-to-a-better-cup-of-coffee

Hi, Palousienne:

I will be in Pullman next weekend for the Cougar/Stanford game. Staying in Lewiston. Where, in the general area, has good food?

Mahalo,
Kaleo

I don’t get tired of Italian food in Italy either; it is fresh and healthful. Unfortunately that isn’t always the case for “Italian” food elsewhere in Europe or in the Americas.

Friends in Perugia were eager to try a new Chinese restaurant there (this was decades ago). It was funny to see the “Italian” take on Chinese food, as compared with Chinese food adapted in other places.

Kaleokahu,

I’m not very familiar with restaurants in either Pullman or Lewiston (have eaten while there but nothing stood out). I live in Spokane now, although I was born in Lewiston and lived as a child in both Clarkston and Walla Walla.

That said, I asked my nieces who spend time in both places and got these names: Pullman: Ferdinands (WSU’s ice cream and fromagerie), South Fork, Birch and Barley. Lewiston: Bravas, Clarkson: Tomato Bros, Roosters.

If I were you I wouldn’t expect the food to be a highlight of your visit but have a great weekend! Try to stay dry.

P

Thank you very much. To quote Bachman Turner Overdrive, “I’ll take what I can get…”

Aloha,
Kaleo

The square hamburger maker thing. Thought it would be handy as I like burgers on toast…the patties for some reason, just don’t stay together. I went back to forming by hand

How about the over sized english muffins? The nooks and cranny’s catching every savory dribbles of juice. I actually think I’m on to something…

Oh for sure. Don’t always have them in the house

I’ll be interested to hear how you do. Trip report!

We’ve been using English muffins for our burgers for several years. We buy them at Costco and keep in the freezer.

not really cookware, but I received an aerogarden a few years ago… Grew one teeny batch of herbs, then about a salad’s worth of tasteless lettuce. Now a light is burnt out and replacements are $25. It’s sitting in a dark cupboard and will likely never see life again.

1 Like

I recently saw the Cuisinart panini maker that I paid $50 on sale 8 months ago on sale for $12 at a thrift shop and the used one had the waffle plates included, and mine did not. At least I use it. But I can’t even count the number of coffee devices that go unused from year to year.as well as numerous graters and shredders.

I picked up this square blue “bowl” thing that was supposed to magically cook my mac 'n cheese in the microwave in ONE BOWL, without needing to strain or drain.

Needless to say it was every bit as much of a failure as the last magickal microwave mac 'n cheese cooker I bought a couple of decades ago. Once bitten, twice shy - you would think, wouldn’t you?

Apparently not me. Hope spring eternal. I look forward to the day I get a Star Trek type food replicator.

You’ll have to hold out until Apple offers a magical microwave mac’n cheese cooker!

OMG, the iMac’nCheese, LOL!

If you think that is worthless tray a Videlia Onion Copper. Maybe it works if you are a 800 pound gorilla.