Name a Useless Cookware You Have

Hi, Harters:

We differ. I have come to use my ricer for about 85% of all “mashed” potatoes I cook. I took the recommendation of a friend–a potato farmer–and really like the consistency.

The remaining 15% is divided between barely mashed (just sort of broken, really), and pushed through a fine tamis.

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

My mandolin. It’s a pain so I almost always just use a knife.

Curious why you think your DW is so bad.

I donated my fryer and just use a DO so there’s plenty of room between the top of the oil and the top of the pot. No (or little!) splattering.

I live alone, so I don’t have enough dishes to warrant a dish washer on most nights. I also grew up in an apartment with no such luxury so I’m used to washing dishes by hand anyway. I find DWs nosiy and a waste of energy most of the time. My mom was old school and believed DWs never got dishes as clean as washing by hand (and probably true for the older machines).

1 Like

For me, it’s my silicone pancake flippers.

I wanted a very thin blade to flip my Swedish pancakes that wouldn’t scratch my pan surfaces. Bought three different silicone ones: total failure (edge not thin enough). The worst was a silicone “knife” that totally failed to slide under the pancakes–then changed surface color in an unfortunate manner.

I finally reverted to my 20+ year thin blade metal no-name spatula-which gets under the pancakes for flipping, but doesn’t scratch. A more substantial All Clad metal spatula I recently purchased also remains largely unused.

Who knew?

Ray

1 Like

Totally useless, never worked once - Peugeot wet salt mill, salt got stuck, nothing comes out.

Maybe it wasn’t wet enough, try soaking it overnight.

I swear, I have taken the whole thing apart, and dried all the parts, including the salt.

Actually, the mill has an automatic circulation system that maintains humidity, I think it’s more suitable for growing natural moss, like those served in some fancy nordic restaurants.

Ugh, if I invested all the money I’ve wasted on stupid mills and grinders that do nothing, I’d be better off than winning the Powerball jackpot this weekend. Those things are the biggest scams ever. All the problems I’ve encountered? 1) Fake (illusory) grind controls settings 2) Requires act of god to remove cap/plug to refill 3) Whole grinder/plug/cap flies off when you try to grind and end up with peppercorns everywhere 4) Openings that allow about one peppercorn through at a time for refill purposes

True, I have a couple of them layer around, doing nothing much, especially the salt mills. But then there is 1 that do the work of all the others, it’s the Peugeot Paris U Select Pepper mill. I must have it for more than 10 years, even hit the floor once, and not a scratch. I can change sizes, and refill is easy and lasts at least 2 months.

I’ve touted this on “the other” site too…but I now use the Ikea spice grinder, and all for the magical cost of $6 (or $7?). Best grinder ever! I had a collection of grinders ranging from from $10 - 20 - 30+ and they were all terrible. Tossed them all.

This item is used for cutting open , pit removal and scoop/slicing of an Avocado

It sort of works…
Give me my chef’s knife and a teaspoon…it is faster and better.

Wet salt mill. Something is wrong with just the concept. Maybe it is working. Maybe it is better that nothing comes out of it.

A lot of peppermill are not very good, but I honesty think my Vic Firth peppermill is very good (now known as Fletchers’)

I’ve never heard of a wet salt mill. How is it supposed to work, and what’s the rationale?

I suspect that it is use for sea salt which has not been dried thoroughly.

"Wet Salts

Are all those Sea Salts that have not undergone an artificial drying process and some retain the natural moisture content up to a maximum of 4% and others only suffered a centrifuge process with a maximum moisture level of 2%."

Some people believe that the wet sea salt to be more nature (I think).

One of our daughters gave me the Peugeot probably ten years ago. Works perfectly and comes apart easily/peasily :slight_smile:

I use a tablespoon/small serving spoon. Seems to perfectly fit most avocados. That gizmo to me is the high bar of one trick ponies :slight_smile:

Try putting some wet salt in it

The wet salt that I want to put is a grey salt (sel gris) 14% in humidity, like fleur de sel, but bigger in size, not very salty, but much more tastier and more mineral.

I will try my last time to dry up the whole thing, dry up a bit the salt…