My “one knife” recommendation

Sound like your son introduced the knife to you?

No, he’s in college and that’s his one kitchen knife. He loves it. I got mine quite a few years ago. Actually I got the smaller chef’s knife first, then moved up to the bigger 21. Kiwi 21, yo, $10 is all you need.

1 Like

Yeah. Kiwi knives are still mostly under $10 when bought in stores. They are great for college students where… knives can get easily damaged and disappeared.

You have no idea. I was and still am thinking about this Sabatier 8" Oliverwood handle knife yesterday.

1 Like

I’m proud that he takes care of his things. He very diligent sharpening it. When I’m prepping, there’s no greater high than a knife that just feels effortless. He gets that same high. Makes him a good hand when it comes to filleting fresh caught fish. Got his own Rapala. Wood handle.

2 Likes

Congratulation. You bought it online, then?

1 Like

Yep. There’s a H Mart plus another little strip mall of Asian food/grocery provisioners within long driving distance that might carry them, but dang, the gas would cost more than the knife lol. For that cheap a purchase, I’m fine with sight-unseen.

I feel much the same about olive wood as Smaug felt about gold.

3 Likes

The tsuchime (hand hammered) finish is described as serving a similar purpose as Granton dimples with less of the sharpening edge into dimple risk. Possibly predates Granton?

For an oral description, see 8:17 mins into this video (Warning: contains scenes of reckless knife use)

4 Likes

I actually watched this video awhile ago. Nice video.

1 Like

Hi Sgee,

I’d never use my Kai Seki Magoroku nakiri on one of those green squashes. Most recently, I used a deba as a test (just OK) on one. My first choice would be my Xinzuo Zhen small hammered cleaver, which passed my green squash test with flying colors.

I’d consider a western style deba which has a thinner blade profile than a traditional deba for lower resistance. Or perhaps a chinese vegetable cleaver, the glestain cleaver posted by @Chemicalkinetics should do wonders on a green squash with the granton blade.

I learned the hard way not to push the limits on a high HRC gyutou. My nenox gyutou had to be reground into a petty :sob:

An acorn squash is one of those 5% instances where the one knife won’t cut it. Then again I eat those like once every 2 years or longer

1 Like

Hi Sgee,

I actually roast acorn squash together with small gourmet potatoes quite frequently. Used to do them as part of Thanksgiving with small white onions in the cavity–topped by hollandaise.

Hey, these are the Kombucha pumpkins, aren’t they? Pretty sure.

!image

I cooked with them all the time. In fact, ta-da! My Kombucha dish I cooked two nights ago and just now having it for a simple dinner. (What a coincidence)

From the bowl I fixed with Kintsugi

A nakiri definitely can work. With right proper knife skill and force, it should be fine. I have been using nakiri, gyuto or Chinese thin blade knife to cut these. Pretty simple really.

Off to my simple meal, wonton plus pumpkin plus noodle Simple.

3 Likes

Like I said, I don’t eat them often. They are just seared into memory as the broad category of wretched crusty skinned squash aka gyutou destroyers.

Ha. Sorry to hear this. Not sure what caused your gyuto to break/chip like this.

Nenox gyutou edges taper dramatically from the spine. Twas a painful moment.

Hi Sgee,

I use the acorn squash for testing. The challenge is a perfect halving–and I go slow. Usually, I start at the side, go down, and around to the top. If there’s too much resistance, I stop. I couldn’t keep the deba straight–no perfect halving.

I think it would be easy to damage a knife so there are some I don’t even test–but, with care, some knives even reliably split the squash in half.

I’ll just leave this here.

6 Likes

“Spend a couple minutes on a cookware discussion board and you’ll almost immediately encounter some fetishists.”
Really, who would have thought.

3 Likes