My “one knife” recommendation

Back at Chowhound, there were many people believe that they were more limited by weight than by length. A few people who initially thought they do not like the 10" chef knife, later tried (bought) a thin blade light weight 10" knife and love it. Of course, these people experience do no necessary reflect yours, but it is something to consider – if a lighter weight yet longer 8" will be better for you.

3 Likes

I reread my post from 2016 and really nothing has changed. I think the recommendations will meet the needs of most foodie-ish home cooks. Sure one can go crazy and find an excuse to buy a knife for everything. However in my elderly state, I’m pursuing a less is more and quality over quantity philosophy. With a 240mm chef knife being the core piece that seems to handle 95-100% of a meal prep for a normal weekday dinner, for me at least.

2 Likes

You’re fine no need to change your length preferences. If you think about it even on a 8-10" knife, most of the action occurs in a 4-5" section. I think the added benefit of a longer knife is more cutting “real estate” akin to a slicer and chef knife in one. But again depends on the frequency of longer slicing needs. I went briefly went from a 9" to a 8" due to kitchen space limitation and found the move perfectly fine. I’m sure I’ll come to the same conclusion if the need arises to drop down to a 6 - 7" for preparing a regular weekday dinner meal.

Caveat: Cultural cuisine differences may dictate a different need.

1 Like

Hi CCE,

Not all manufacturers use the term “grantons,” and some are somewhat different designs. Kai Shun uses the term “hollow ground,” and has both single row and double row indentations like Glestain:

I don’t know if that is for possible legal reasons–or marketing

1 Like

I am not sure I agree. The title, My ONEstrong text**** knife recommendation (emphasis supplied) seems to invite others’ such recommendations for one knife. The granton edge came into the discussion early on, with the OP’s participation. One guy tried to enlarge the discussion to include one’s entire batterie, for which a separate thread exists. It is the very essence of conversation that it meanders and of discussion that it focuses both in and out.

4 Likes

Hi Sgee,

You were pretty much “right on” in 2016, so I can understand your perspective.

The biggest changes for me have been to discover how much can be done with the thin Chinese vegetable cleaver, and how much better I can do with a slightly larger nakiri profile.

Both these realizations led to Chinese product purchases, and led me to further appreciate how much the best Chinese manufacturers have moved to close the quality gap.

Five years ago, I didn’t even consider them

That is how I took it too. It is about one knife to recommend. I recommend mine – a Glestain knife. DaBadger indirectly recommends Kiwi knives (I think). One guy did several times try to go off-topic without great success.

2 Likes

Hi Vecchiouomo,

The thread that Sgee shared (when I asked him to expand his OP) was from 2016. I suspect few read it through–or noticed.

He was and is suggesting a really nice workhorse knife that is already–and continues to be–the centerpiece of all his knives after considering almost everything at the time. The Hattori knife was a collaborative effort between enthusiasts in the United States and craftsmen in Japan that ordinarily produced Artisan knives.

Sgee has made an interesting suggestion well worth discussing.

Chem has already done a review on Hungry Onion and made Chowhound contributions on other knives about the same time as Sgee.

It deserves a separate thread.

The spirit of this thread was to discuss a single knife that fits the needs of a majority of one’s meal preparation. A pursuit of simplicity and less is more philosophy.

I did not intend to limit discussions to a specific brand or model. The Hattori was just my thread opening recommendation.

9 Likes

And a great opening recommendation it is.

2 Likes

Michel Roux, Jr. using a Global:

Michel Roux, Sr. using a Global:

3 Likes

Hi Sgee,

I’m happy that you are comfortable with this thread. Since Chem has hundreds–if not thousands–of posts on Hungry Onion, I wanted to make sure that your contribution was not overwhelmed and ignored.

Isn’t that great when you find that knife. That’s the Kiwi to me. They may have made and sold bazillions; but that sucker fits my hand perfectly. All those boring-handled Kiwis fit for me; even that dinky cleaver my wife got me for lime wedges.

Sabatier CS? I honestly didn’t know that Sabatier made CS. Learn sumin’ new every day.

3 Likes

Hi Greg,

As long as you’re active, there will always be an upgrade or a new alternative to consider. That’s how we grow in our hobby.

Definitely. Sabatier is most famous for carbon steel. Their stainless steel lines are very new – in fact, probably nothing special. Beware though, Sabatier is a name which is widely abused. No need to do some deep research, but definitely making sure you know what you are buying (if you are interested in Sabatier).

They do. Flotsam and Fork is a good source. I got my first in Seattle in 1969. I like Thiers-Issard, both their regular line and the lighter, shorter tang Nogent line.

Ahh. See, I didn’t know much at all about Sabatier, so I Googled. Those must have been the Sino-Franco SS models.

The Kiwi #21! :slight_smile: It IS my son’s only kitchen knife. My main cutter, too.

Mine just arrived today!

My son in law is interested in this one.

2 Likes