My never ending quest - new restaurants I won't hate in Tristate NY, CT area

Hi - have you been to La Zingarra in Bethel lately? We haven’t been for a while and I’m wondering if it’s worth the trip.

Thank you for sharing them, jfood.

Never been (insert head down)

If you want more details on them or any others just post and we can drum up some conversation on the 'hood.

There is a wealth of information on my website, but I do not want to just post the name without a review so I do not stir any pots.

Thank you. I found it once, can you provide a link to your website?

Your list and all the other suggestions should keep me busy for quite a long time. I should eat out more and stop cooking so danged much.:confounded:

WCG/primosprimos I have not been to Primavera in at least a year. We loved to sit outside at a table on the big old porch during the summer months usually late afternoon…I was never crazy about the food although it wasn’t terrible, but I was obsessed with the chunk of parmigiana and dish of olives that were put out with EVOO and balsamic…It was enough to keep us going back…We never sat inside but it is very nice in there with a big picture window in one of the dining rooms.

I worked in the food and beverage Industry back in the late 80’s and 90’s…Villa Nova I remember was very popular with many in the Industry as was Crabtrees in Crestwood…When the restaurants would close at 11:00 pm many of the bartenders and wait staff would head over to both of these places.

I wish, now, that I had gone there more often. They never updated, in keeping with the environs, and that was one of the things I liked about them.

It was John Michaels. I really liked that place, sorry you didn’t enjoy it. Before that, it was Purdy’s Homestead (as mentioned) and Box Tree (neither of which I ate at).

I hope the mods are OK with it.

www.ctbites.com

1 Like

Thank you, jfood.

The mods here are a breath of fresh air.

I knew it was two names! Thanks.

Mention of Chef Antonio put me in mind of the venerable Gus’ Franklin Park Restaurant for seafood (and a great gorgonzola salad that put Manero’s to shame). Haven’t been in years, but have fond memories of its no pretence neighborhood ambiance and superb lobster – but not its long lines Friday and Sat nights. Ok it’s not au courant – but anyone been lately? If so, verdict?

Speaking of old school, JFood, I’d add Columbus Park to your Stamford list. Classic Italian cuisine (not red sauce) that never fails to hit the mark. Also a fan of the bar menu at newly opened Mill Street Bar and Table in Byram.

Louuuuu, I’ve only been once to Franklin Park, and it was good, albeit close quarters. But I haven’t been lately.

I did, however, go to Gus’ Seafood - and was horrified. They’ve changed from a charming little seafood market into their version of Tarry Market.

Variety? Good.

Prices? Stratospheric.

Demographic? Yuppies.

Not for me. I won’t go back.

Louuuuu

You know that we totally disagree about Columbus. The night they tried to serve flounder to us when they ran out of Dover Sole was unacceptable and then did not man-up when I called them out on it was unforgivable.

The other Stamford restaurants I forgot to include are both up in Springdale. Olio is fantastic and Amore has killer pizza.

Primosprimos-
Finally “found” your other site AND an explanation for Wincountrygirl’s name- all in one place- already found a good reason to try this site

1 Like

Welcome. Kattyeyes is here as well.

Yay, rich is here! Hi, rich, you’ll love this place.

I don’t if that was you I tweeted to or not, but I told a ‘51rich’ about Hungry Onion.:grin:

Welcome, rich. I’m deedee, btw, you don’t have to type all those letters.

Welcome Rich. What is the explanation of my name???

Always wondered what “Wincountry” meant, was afraid you might be super aggressive and had to “win” at all costs (L). Winecountry makes a lot more sense. It figures at the current CH, Couldn’t even (easily) correct your name and add an “e”

1 Like