My never ending quest - new restaurants I won't hate in Tristate NY, CT area

LOL, oh no allergy Gwenn, just an inconsistent and inexplicable horror of certain foods. Parmigiano is fine in my ziti, and mozzarella is fine on my pizza, but a grilled cheese? He’d run screaming from the room if he tried it. Ice cream is fine, but whipped cream gives him the willies. Strange, yes!

Think Bernard’s would be good? He always found something at La Cremalliere in Banksville and made it through Le Provencal in Mamaroneck (remember when they had all you can eat mussels?). The menu looks wonderful.

No, Primos was the name of a really nice down home restaurant I found in my travels, around about the time I chose my name. My real name is deedee.

If he could eat at Cremalliere, I would think he could find something at Bernards. I have not been in years but I hear from a couple of people whose food taste I trust that it is very good. I was only at Le Provencal once and that was for a lunch. It was a favorite of the president of the foundation I worked for and she took us for the holidays one year. We live up in Goldens Bridge so don’t get down that far too much.

That is funny about your husband. We were eating at the French Laundry once and struck up a conversation with the couple seated next to us. She had a fear of “enclosed” food so was amazed she loved the raviolo in the soup!

Thanks, Gwenn.

Enclosed food - I love that! There’s a new one on me, I guess she hates elevators too.

It really varies by location and a good reason not to just write it
off entirely. The CIA gives you their entire menu, with some
supplements. The Cookery also has lots of choices and daily specials.
Valley has always had a great selection (although I just got the menu
via email and they’re not doing duck breast or short rib this time,
which is disappointing). We did Restaurant X last time and they added
their normal tuna entree to the RW menu as a special. The late Backyard
Bistro (which I really miss at this time of the year) always had amazing
selections. I would never go to a place that did not post their RW menu
in advance because I don’t want to be in the situation where I have to
order off the regular menu.

I was very excited to see Peter Pratt’s Inn participating for the
first time this year, only to look at the menu and immediately decide
not to go because I didn’t like the selections.

I’ll use this topic to talk about and provide reviews on restaurants I’ve been to, if that’s okay. I had gone to Chef Antonio in Mamaroneck a long while ago, and wasn’t pleased, can’t remember why. Then my hair guy told me they had changed for the better, and to be sure to try it again. He also recommends Fiamma Trattoria - anyone been?

Anyway, on Chef Antonio. What a nice meal it was. The crowd at the bar couldn’t be more human, reminiscent of the late lamented Villa Nova. Nary a yuppie in sight. Betty the bartender made me an EXcellent vodka gimlet, thank you Betty I’ll be back to see you.

Space was tight, and tables were close together, but that’s okay. I was happy to see them doing well, since I plan on being a return customer. One of the family had the very good idea to start with a cheese pizza, and it was very, very good. Susanne the waitperson was a bit busy, but it was understandable. She handled it with good humor and asked the amazing question - SO rare in restaurants - if we wanted to wait a spell between our salads and our entrees! IMAGINE? That’s number two on my hot buttons - yes, parking was free, that’s number one - and as I said, I’ll be back.

I gladly paid extra for the salad to be chopped and with crumbled gorgonzola on it, and was very happy with the result. The wines chosen were good ones. The entrees, again reminiscent of Villa Nova, were good red sauce stock dishes. My chicken parm was very good, and not ONLY came with a salad, but with a side of macaroni! I can’t recall which hot button that is. Hubby’s stuffed sole was deemed good, but he had his eye on a messier dish that involved shells. Next time.

The rice pudding was declared good, and the espresso was strong, aided and abetted with a shot of anisette.

Lots of good food and wine, for a reasonable $51. and change. I recommend Chef Antonio.

Two places that were recommended by some people here were Trattoria Vivolo in Harrison and Buon Amici on Central Avenue (WP). We tried both in December and thought they were very good.

Thanks, valerie.

I recently visited Trattoria Vivolo and it was indeed very good. I think they also own La Riserva.

I haven’t been to Buon Amici in years, but hubby has been and likes it.

Only thing that did annoy me at Buon Amici is that we had an 8:00 reservation and we were not seated until around 8:40. There is not a lot of room to stand in the bar area so we were constantly in the way of waiters carrying trays of food. A co-worker who goes there often and had also suggested Buon Amici, said this is usually they way they are with reservations. I will go back, but on the earlier side, hopefully avoiding a long wait.

Ugh, I hate stuff like that. Hubby has been with his car club, so they had a big table waiting for them. I liked that about Chef Antonio, it had a bar, with regulars, with a bartender who knew how to make a drink.

Gwenn, no surprise, you were right! Farmer and Fish is not a good place for a special occasion.

Noisy? Oy, cacophonous I’d say. I guess sound muffling renovations aren’t permitted, and I don’t see the charm of historic buildings, sorry.

But…free parking, and an excellent Sidecar. I’m going to have to start making a list, that’s two places that a. know what it is, and b. make it well.

Trish, in the midst of close tables and all the yelling, was an excellent waitperson who managed to be pleasant! You couldn’t pay me to do her job.

Order for the drinks was done expeditiously, and bread was brought to the table. The company was good, and thank you to them for treating us, but we never found out about the pricing (but I have an idea, i.e., not cheap).

It was packed, and I can understand why. The food is well made, and although devoid of sides, was delicious. My fish tacos were sufficient, but hubby’s swordfish was a trifle dainty. Again, though, quality ingredients. I liked the most the calamari appetizer, which was a very nice portion and delicious. The best entree I could determine was the lobster roll, deemed very good and with fries on the side. My salad appetizer was good, but not amazing.

I’d go back, if just for a lobster roll and a Sidecar, but the noise level keeps it from a favorite place.

Why not go early - are they open late afternoon? In the spring/summer and sit outside. Less noise! Don’t go in the rain at all - parking lot is not paved. I have been to that location when it was several different restaurants and I can live without the historical thing if the food’s not good . Glad you enjoyed what you ate. We are not big fish eaters so that is not a place we would choose for ourselves unless a group wanted to go. Have you been to the Italian a bit further up 22? Primavera? Haven’t been in a while, but they have a full bar and it’s old school italian - zabaglione tableside!

I was commenting on just that - they can’t afford to pave the parking lot? Give me a break.

We were both have deja vu - but couldn’t remember what it was before this incarnation.

Gwenn, have you heard of Max40 steak and seafood in Danbury? According to another picky person, one of the best filet mignons he ever had.

Zabaglione, freshly made, and tableside? I’d like that. I have to put Primavera on my list, thanks.

Ooops, I forgot the bread pudding at F&F and it’s too late to edit. Why is that, Sampson? What are people likely to do? Anywho, this bread pudding wasn’t chunks of bread, it was as if the bread was soaked and then smushed together and then baked. It had salted caramel ice cream on top with a side of whipped cream. Delish. Put this place’s food in Villa Nova’s site, and I’d be one happy camper. Or, just give me back my beloved Villa Nova.

Just before it was Farmer and the Fish it had the Chef/Owner’s name. John something. We went once. He was arrogant and his kid was there - running around the restaurant and he did nothing about it. I saw him on Chopped - wow what a piece of work. He lost after the first round and told the judges he was not going to thank them for the honor of being there - they had made a terrible mistake!! Before that it was Purdy’s Homestead which was underwhelming.

Yes, and if you get certain fish it is deboned table side. They may even do the Caesar that way. Its a beautiful place - it had been Mona Trattoria then Finch Tavern owned by Stanley Tucci. The place is very nice, the food is good and I love the old school Italian vibe.

Where was Villa Nova?

Sorry, I forgot to answer this. No, I have not heard of that place. I will check out the menu though!

Hah, I remember Mona Trattoria, not sure I went, but I did go to Finch Tavern, it was quite good. I have put Primavera on my ‘list’.

Is the arrogant chef now the owner of Farmer and Fish? That would put me off.

Villa Nova was a vast wasteland in Pelham that was deserted by the new voe reesh yuppies (misspelling intentional) that went instead to the small plate places on the Avenue. It had been there for 45 years, I believe, and we had many a family event there, including my bridal shower, yikes. It held on with only the parties in the upstairs rooms, but the dining room was ALWAYS empty.

It had good old fashioned red ‘gravy’ dishes, and the prices were a bargain. Not only did I get a dynamite vodka gimlet from Orlando, but lo and behold, he had leftovers that he left, in the shaker, on the table. Yeah, show me another place that does that. He and Camille, the friendly wait person who actually conversed with her patrons, left for other jobs, but I don’t know if the owner bought a new place or just retired. His kids didn’t want to take on the restaurant, the old story.

The building is slated to become yet another high rise in a county devoted, heart and soul (neither of which Westchester has), to making an urban environment out of a formerly beautiful combination of both. Just ask the Mayor of the Queen City of the Sound, where I grew up. He and some other soulless politicians are making the talk circuit with their ideas of blight and decimation, with no thought given to infrastructure or traffic patterns or water/sewers.

Oh well, not much I can do except kvetch. And I do love to kvetch.:grin:

Ha! I 'm a big kvetch too!! No, the o,d owner is not part of Farmer and the Fish! Checked out the menu at Max40. Looks good. I’m hoping to talk my friends out of Harvest Moon and on to Max,

Enjoy, I hope it’s good.

Let’s move west to east into Fairfield County.

If you like Gaia then you should head a little further down Greenwich Ave to The National and Eastend. Around the corner in the old Jean Louis space is Le Penguin

Stamford - Harlan Social, Eos, Fortina and Napa.
New Canaan - South End, Elm, Uncorked, Baldanza, Locali, Farmer’s Table and Cava
Norwalk - Bar Sugo, Harlan Publick, Match, Spread, Barcelona, Oak & Almond and Washington Prime
Ridgefield - Bailey’s, Bernards, Hoodoo Brown
Westport - Kawa Ni, Whelk, Fleischer’s, Cottage, Rothbard

Wow. Thank you, jfood.

You’ve been to all of these, I take it, and they’re good?

Other than National (which is Zakarian’s new place. Yes.

I have eaten in over 200 different locations in these towns and these are my favorites. I keep an excel file on where I eat and rank them. These are all 9’s and 10’s.