My most morally questionable food-moment

Curious whether everyone bothered by eating octopus is also bothered by eating pig. Because a pig is a lot smarter than an octopus.

3 Likes

Goats are very smart too. Yes, I feel bad about eating animals.

2 Likes

Did you jump before the Huy Fong shortage? Glad you find something you like and enjoy. I know many people like Lao Gan Ma, but I am not a big fan of it. I have had also tried a few mom-and-pop version which I am ok too. I actually prefer the Japanese version more.

That being said, I am not an expert of chili sauce.

2 Likes

Yeah
 I think the problem is that a lot of animals are a lot of intelligent than we think, right? I used to think of octopus and squid are alike, but I think they are hugely different from an intelligent point of view. I still eat octopus. I was at dinner once, and bought up about how octopus and squid are very different (I think we were thinking about dishes with octopus vs squid), and they replied: “Yes, but they are equally yummy”

4 Likes

@Lambchop I know you probably named yourself after the Sesame character,

but lamb chop the name

3 Likes

Actually my moniker is the old one from Shari Lewis! And lamb is my favorite red meatđŸ„©

5 Likes

I will have to give that a try! There is room for more than one chili crisp in my cupboard.
I am in the “do not refrigerate” school on chili crisp, not sure if that is a good idea or not, but it sure makes it easy to spoon it up.

2 Likes

Everyone has different likes. Obviously, Lao Gan Ma and Huy Fong are well known and well loved brand. Even the S&B cruchy garic chili oil has a decent size of followers. By the way, are you into those custom made/artisan/mom and pop brand chili sauce at farmer marker

I tend to put mine in refrigerator, but that is because I eat slowly. If you finish your jar in a month or two, then why not?

I always thought that it was kind of cold hearted to name a cute little lamb puppet after the dish you make by butchering it. And yet the kids in the audience never seemed to object to it. So there is that.
My dogs favorite stuffed toy was always Lambchop, which I thought was cute. Until we lost her Lambchop at the Doggy Resort one time and the care-giver came back with 5 different Lambchops that dogs had left in the yard that week. Soot knew which one was hers, though.

8 Likes

We are weird like this
 There was a very generous owner who adopted a handicap pigget and build a wheel chair for him. This piglet would have been abandon and killed by most owner, but this person kept him and took care of him.

However, he named the pig
Chris P. Bacon. Yes, Crispy Bacon.

Chris P Bacon news anchor reporter looses control laughs at name of pig - YouTube

Piglet Gets A Wheelchair So He Can Run Around - YouTube

Well, I guess apparently all dogs like this Lambchop puppets. K

4 Likes

Nice looking black lab. Lab, right?

2 Likes

Sure, but can you put octopus bacon on everything and make it immediately better?
An OLT doesn’t have the street cred of a BLT.

2 Likes

Yep. She was a sweet dog. Brings a tear to my eye nearly a year after i lost her. I moved to buy a single level house in a new town when i realized she could not do the 5 stairs in our old split level house any more due to her hips.
We walked morning , noon and night, plus a few.
Within a month i realized i was commonly called “the Lab guy” by the locals. I was ok with that.
Sorry for the threadjack but when i get to talking dog i overshare.

12 Likes

Well, I don’t know. Having never had octopus bacon. It sounds chewy. And having given up pig bacon when I was a teen. (A while back, in case you’re wondering.)

For the record, I’m also conflicted about eating octopus. But I’m also conflicted about eating lobster, and they’re probably not that bright at all.

2 Likes

“A pig like that, you don’t eat all at once.”

5 Likes

My stepfather raised a couple of steers for the beef in the barn at the back of the central PA property Mom inherited from her mother.

The 2nd steer was names Sir Charles. “Sir” for sirloin, “Charles” for chuck. :wink: I would get into the pen with Chuck with an iron rod in my hand if he got too affectionate or rambunctious
I just had to bop him on the hard horn area above his brow and he’d back off, shake his head, and then go back to playing.

I bought a mixed quarter
everything from soup bones to sirloin steaks went into my freezer for $1.09/lb. (Back in the mid 80s)

4 Likes

Note that it wasn’t my intent to wade into the real moral lines people will or will not cross in pursuit of getting fed.

I was much more interested in folks, I dunno, sneaking a handful of cashews from the bulk bin (back when you could do such a thing), or raiding their kid’s Halloween stash and chalking it up to ‘candy demons’ or something like that.

If we go down the REAL moral discussion re: food, meat, animals, etc., that leads pretty quickly to people getting all heated up, and I desperately do NOT want to be the guy that started THAT particular fight.

13 Likes

I went to school at U of Illinois, Urbana. Lots of Chicago kids, of course, but PLENTY from central and southern IL farm country, too. One girl in my freshman dorm was Sherry. She was ‘Black Angus Queen’ of her county, which I thought was weird, since she didn’t seem the type to enter beauty contests. She laughed quite hard at the suggestion. She was Queen because she had raised the prizewinning steer at the county fair that year. After winter break, she brought back a big bag of ground beef and some steaks (our dorms were rare in that we had actual regular sized fridge/freezers).

“Uh, Sherry, what’s with all the meat?”
“This is Brutus! I’m gonna make nachos for the floor saturday!”

Thus was I initiated into the not-really-pets relationship farm kids had to livestock.

Brutus was delicious.

7 Likes

A fellow Illini! :wave:

I had just moved to Urbana for grad school after a 2-year stint in Chicago. The aggie school amazed me, as did all the corn and soybean fields.

My most recent morally reprehensible food moments are when my 8-year old brings home uneaten items in his lunchbox because he’s dropped them and gotten them covered in dirt (he goes to a nature-based school and they eat outdoors). Well, that qualifies as the 5-second rule to me — nothing a good wipe down won’t fix. They go back into his bento box for another day and he’s none the wiser. :wink:

4 Likes

Cute dog. Look like he lived to an old age (seeing some grey hair around eyebrows and mouth)
By the way, I just read that Chris P Bacon has died
 in a barn fire. I guess that is a bad name for a bad metaphor.

2 Likes