My most morally questionable food-moment

Many more Sriracha option in the USA, Huy Fong probably has largest Sriracha in USA by a good margin. It was everywhere. I think it is like Heinz for ketchup. While Huy Fong still has the largest share and enjoy a loyal customer base, this can only last so long before they start to explore and leave.

3 Likes

HFā€™s Sriracha became impossible to find here for several months maybe 16 or 18 months ago, not sure exactly. Their chili garlic sauce which I use less often was always in stock - maybe itā€™s a different pepper variety.

I was using the sriracha daily in my sonā€™s breakfast burritos and on his over-easy eggs, so I was keen to find it and went to some 20-odd stores (major chains and others) with no luck.

I was helping my daughter and new SIL move in together about a year ago and their local Publix stores in Florida were fully stocked, so I got several of the 17 oz bottles and still have 1 full unopened one left and a half empty one in the fridge, and my son doesnā€™t use as much as he used to.

5 Likes

HF was the table sauce at many Chinese traiteurs in Paris.

2 Likes

There are other options here in the States. I picked this up for $1.99 at my local Grocery Outlet. When my Huy Fong runs out, Iā€™ll have this. Iā€™m not a huge user of Sriracha, so Iā€™m good for a while.

Pairs? I didnā€™t know HF is this international now.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Panich is touted as more authentic than HF. But I find it much too sweet.

1 Like

Shhhh!!! Youā€™ll summon the demons!

11 Likes

Nothing wrong with using this term. I support you. not to say I support you about Panich is better ā€“ since I donā€™t know

4 Likes

Yeah, I realized that after I posted, but WTHā€¦I have a pretty warped sense of humor anyway.

4 Likes

Yes, I am aware that it is the most popular, but I didnā€™t understand why Chemical was declaring this the end of Sriracha (given that there are alternatives-- I certainly donā€™t have Huy Fong here in my pantry).

When Iā€™ve had parties in the past, I have on occasion kept special wines to be poured for those I think will appreciate them. It pains me to watch someone who is indifferent to wine to glug down a nice pinot. I donā€™t really spend as much as I used to on wine so not really an issue anymore.

1 Like

Badia (a Hispanic foods company) and a kosher food company whose name escapes me both have Sriracha sauce, so it is certainly multi-ethnic in the US. That said, I will stick with Huy Fong for now.

I like to think we food shop ethically. Organic or free range meat. Organic veg. Fair Trade exotic fruits. And, as best we can, we like to translate that into restaurant meals, although it is exceptionally difficult in this part of the world.

One of the things I would never normally eat is foie gras. The ethics, or not, of this product are well known and Iā€™m not suggesting a debate here. However, come my 60th birthday, in 2010, we went for dinner at the Fat Duck in southern England ā€“ then rated as the third best restaurant in the world. And, yep, foie gras was there on the tasting menu. So, the big question. Do we stick with the ethics. Or do we eat it cos this is the third best restaurant in the world and weā€™ll probably not pass this way again.

We ate it. And, perhaps unsurprisingly, we didnt enjoy it. And nearly 13 years on, Iā€™m still recounting the dilemma. Which is why it ranks as my most morally questionable food moment.

8 Likes

When titling this thread, I admit I hadnā€™t even considered the more ā€˜realā€™ answers to this question.

I certainly wouldnā€™t cast aspersions on anyone who did, or did not, like foie, veal, supermarket eggs, meat, etc. based on animal welfare, or any other personal choice. Myself, Iā€™ve had foie exactly once (on french fries, no less, at a decidedly down-market sandwich shop). I liked it, and might order it again, were I ever to go to places where it might be on offer. Iā€™m seldom at such places, though, and I have no urge to specifically seek it out, so Iā€™m unlikely to run into that particular conundrum again.

If I had to go for a ā€˜realā€™ answer, I suppose my line would be octopus. Iā€™ve had it and enjoyed some preparations of it, but those things are too close to ā€˜sentientā€™ in a way we really REALLY donā€™t understand, and having eaten it weirds me out, now. Squids, Iā€™m ok with.

6 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking about octopus as well-- which led me to think all animal consumption is likely morally questionable. But that said octopus and cuttlefish are troubling and Iā€™ve stopped with octopus now.

4 Likes

Too late. I already jumped ship. If you have not tried Lao Gan Ma Spicy Chili Crisp, try it! This stuff is even better than Sri Racha! I put it on everything from Ramen to Baked Yams, it is delicious! I had half a sleeve of saltine crackers left over and polished them off with a teaspoon of chili crisp on each of them.
If the Chili Crisp doesnā€™t work for you, try the Bourbon in the background, one has got to make your day!
I am not sure if this is a chili crisp thing, but the oil is pretty flammable, so if you rub it on a yam or something, and then wrap it in tin foil and put it in the oven at 375 degrees? The floor of the oven is more than the 375 degrees so if the oil bubbles out of the tin foil it will land on the floor of the oven where it will start on fire. Very smokey fire.
I live alone or this might have been a problem. The yam was still delicious, albeit with a smokey flavor I do not care to replicate.

5 Likes

IMHO chili crisp, while delicious and vital, is not a 1-to-1 sub for sriracha. I wouldnā€™t, for example, have thought to put chili crisp on a traditional street taco (or homemade taco-kit tacos) where sriracha would be an easy, obvious choice. But now that the ideaā€™s thereā€¦

3 Likes

I had a jar of this (came as part of a food present from a friend). Thought it OK and used it all but wonā€™t be buying a replacement jar.

1 Like

I agree with you re the octopus. Iā€™ve eaten it, but very likely wonā€™t again. There was a show on Netflix called ā€œMy Octopus Teacherā€ that made me realize that it was wrong for me to eat it. I actually cried at the end, and if you knew me youā€™d know that was way out of character.

1 Like