My most morally questionable food-moment

I like choice of word: raiding.

1 Like

I absolutely get that. But I thought it was a legit question, considering the way the conversation had gone.

Good question, but i think it is one of those questions difficult to be logical. Now, i know I wonā€™t eat dogs. To me, it has probably a more emotional argument than intelligence argument. (Eg even if you find a dog more stupid than a clam, i will still eat the clam)

2 Likes

When I was a young child I was horrified to think people ate baby lambs! I didnā€™t have it growing up until I was about 16 I think, but I thought it was good, nevertheless. I learned to love it when I met H, a Greek. For the past few years we get 2 grass pastured lambs yearly, from a farmer friend of ours. They have a nice life frolicking outside until late fall, when theyā€™re harvested. Iā€™m always a little sad when I see all the white packages of lamb parts, but Iā€™m grateful for their life and the sustenance it brings. I do enjoy my carnivorous meals, but am always hoping the animal didnā€™t suffer.
Iā€™m sorry for the loss of your dog, but thanks for the pics - she looks like a real sweetie!

I

4 Likes

Thank you. Soot was the sweetest of dogs.
When i enjoy lamb i try to buy products that adhere to the ā€œone bad dayā€ concept.

2 Likes

I got one of those LambChops for my cat, who was totally uninterested. Two previous cats loved dog toys; theyā€™d carry them around and present them to me. Maybe when I come across the abandoned LambChop Iā€™ll install her in the glass-front cabinet in the kitchen to watch over things.

3 Likes

I donā€™t eat pig either. Because of the intelligence/ sentience. I probably will stop lobster and crab too.

I do acknowledge I am hypocritical in that I eat beef and fowl on occasion. Lamb (which is brilliant stupid but still bloody adorable) is still on my plate when I do partake.

4 Likes

I would say too that octopus farming (which is constantly on the table) is inherently cruel and an environmental disaster in the making. (Just in case the end isnā€™t coming fast enough.)

4 Likes

On the larger morality scale, Iā€™m a flaming hypocrite. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything I refuse to eat strictly on moral grounds. There are some things that some/many/most people find morally objectionable that I wonā€™t eat, but my position isnā€™t rooted in ethics but my personal tastes. For instance, veal. I hate that those little calves are confined for their short lives such that they can barely move, but my refusal to eat veal is mostly because I find it boring, so it makes it easy to claim the high ground. Octopus? Boring. Goose liver? No thanks!

I would not eat dog or horse unless I was on the brink of starvation, and if they were MY pets, I probably would still not eat them. Our chickens, when theyā€™re done laying, live a life of luxury (for a chicken) for the rest of their days rather than going into the stew pot, largely because we name them (big mistake). And while I have often wondered about the taste of human flesh, I could not eat a non-human primate.

Like I said, Iā€™m a hypocrite.

4 Likes

PBSā€™ Nature : Octopus Making Contact aired in 2019 and tells the incredible story of Heidi

Our grandcat has a Lamb Chop as a bed buddy. Interesting note: lamb tastes similar to voles.

3 Likes

I bought a Lamb Chop dog toy for DD1ā€™s BFā€™s dog, but it was too cute so I kept it, and bought him another toy.
My cat specializes in hunting voles - wish I could ask her what they taste like lol.

3 Likes

You are badā€¦ just like me. I have done it more than a few times that I bought something for a potential gift and then kept them, but I have only compete with human. So what is a DD1? BF is boyfriend.

2 Likes

DD1 is my first born daughter - I have a younger one too, who is DD2. Just the 2 kids, plus SIL = son in law.

2 Likes

Deleted

Yes