Mustard based bbq sauces

I am looking for a really good mustard based bbq sauce. Here in Oklahoma most of the sauces are similar to what you find in Missouri and Texas if there is a sauce. Does anyone from back east have a sauce that they particularly like and are willing to share a recipe? Most of the bbqers from this region turn their noses up at the concept of a mustard sauce and I want to show them it can be done. I tasted one sauce at a place in Little Rock and I didn’t want their red sauces after tasting the mustard sauce.

South Carolina is the only place I’ve encountered mustard based bbq sauce. I don’t have a recipe but adding SC to a search might help in finding one.

Was it at Whole Hog in Little Rock? I tried theirs not long ago and prefer it over the sweet sauces. They do sell bottles online but it’s not cheap:

https://www.wholehogcafe.com/mail-order/index.cfm

They do however have locations in Northwest Arkansas when you’re in the neighborhood. I’d love to find a recipe as well even if I’m the only one in the family that would eat it.

Here’s one I’ve been meaning to try but haven’t and time to yet (and in the first sentence the author provides a link to a South Carolina Yellow Mustard sauce on the same site). This site’s stuff is reliable in my experience:

1 Like

it was this one enter link description here Capital Smokehouse and Grill

they served off a steam heat line but the sauce was what I liked best. I have been to Whole Hog in Bentonville, okay, but didn’t rock my world.

I’ll give it a try.

I will try to find you our mustard sauce. Based on the regional variation found in a very small area of Southwestern Georgia, with Columbus as the epicenter. The recipe we have developed over the years [since we live no where near Columbus, GA and never want to] is on a piece of paper with our rib rub formula. I will go through that stack in the next few days for you.

I come at this as a foreigner who loves BBQ and who, without prejudice, has tried all four main sauce styles in the Carolinas. All are good but the mustard based one that is the feature of the central area of SC is by far my favourite.

I would love to come across a good home recipe. Although I assume it must be based on the ubiquitous French’s, “something” must be done to it as it is nowhere near as sweet as the bottled stuff.

THanks, I’ll give it a try

Here’s a couple…

SC mustard sauce - from Robert Moss

1 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup light brown sugar
Dash of ground red cayenne pepper
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Combine mustard, vinegar, honey and brown sugar in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat just long enough for the honey and brown sugar to dissolve and mixture to bubble and simmer. Stir in cayenne, black pepper and salt. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Pour into bottle or plastic container and refrigerate before using.

Batesburg-Leesville SC sauce

Combine in a non-aluminum saucepan:
1/2 c prepared yellow mustard
1/4 c Creole mustard
1/2 c cider vinegar
1 Tbs molasses
2 Tbs honey
1/4 c brown sugar, packed tight
1 Tbs canola oil
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce

Wisk all ingredients together, bring to a simmer and add:

1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Mix well, stirring, and simmer for 3 mins. Makes about 1 1/2 cups

Thanks, I will give them a try.

Here is my adaptation of a Georgia style mustard sauce, but with some increased heat. If you don’t know Inner Beauty [not available commercially anymore] any habaneros Caribbean sauce should do if you want the heat. Without the Inner Beauty you might find you want a bit more cider vinegar.

==
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup Guldens mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon garlic power [dehydrated garlic, ground]
1 1/4 teaspoon tumerica
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
3/4 cup Inner Beauty Sauce [caribbean habaneros sauce]

Mix to combine. Let sit for 24 hrs before using.

2 Likes

I’ll go check the HastyBake grill store to see if they have anything I can use. I do know what Inner Beauty was. They have one of the better sauce selections in these here parts.

And just in case you care to make your own Inner Beauty, since it is no longer produced, after several batches where we tasted the last of our last bottle of the stuff, we came up with this recipe. I make tons of it every Fall when the peppers are ready and try to make it last a full year.

Here is the recipe[s] for the version that we thought tasted the most like the bottled version. We made two levels of hot by adjusting the habaneros.

INNER BEAUTY HOT SAUCE
This is an adaptation of the recipe that sits framed on Chris Schlesinger’s desk. The actual recipe calls for five times the quantity of all ingredients, as is fitting for a restaurant kitchen. The quantities below yield a more manageable amount of sauce. http://www.seriouseats.com/2007/02/ch

Further modified by Susan T and Lucy P on October 19, 2010 in Wellfleet MA to taste more like the bottled version on hand.

Ingredients
1 cup-2 cups [or more] deseeded bonnet peppers [organic, ripened on the vine
]12 ounces yellow mustard [French’s]
2 ounces brown sugar
6 ounces cider vinegar [365 Organic Brand, Heinz sucks]
2 ounces fresh squeezed orange juice
2 ounces honey
2 ounces molasses
8 ounces papaya pulp [turned into puree in the blender]
8 ounces mango pulp [turned into puree in the blender]
6 ounces pineapple juice [Lotus if you can find it]
2 ounces oil [sunflower]
1/3 ounces each each cumin, chili powder*, curry**, and allspice

Deseed and quarter peppers. Make the two fruit purees in a blender, mixing in just enough juice or water to get a smooth blend. Throw everything but the oil into a food processor, and process for about a minute. Taste. Adjust. When happy with the mustard/fruit balance and hotness, add oil and process one more time.

• Chili Powder
    Based on AB’s Chili Powder ©2004

3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 chipolte chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced [not the canned variety]
3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
1 tsp whole coriander seeds
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano [Mexican if you can find it]
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Directions
Place all of the chiles, cumin and coriander seeds into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

Once cool, place the chiles, coriander and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

** Basic Curry Powder
5 tablespoons ground coriander seeds
2 tablespoons ground cumin seeds
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground fenugreek seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground chile peppers [Penzey’s Very Hot Indian Pepper Flakes]

We started with whole coriander, cumin, and cloves. Toasted and then ground, before adding them to the other ingredients.

1 Like

Assume you want to use this on pulled pork?

This is roughly what I mix up:
3/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup honey
1/4 apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
hot sauce and/or cayenne powder to taste

1 Like

Yes, I think I would. It feels “right” for a South Carolina sauce. Now, all I have to do is find a conversion table for cups to metric.

Don’t sweat the measurements too much. For me they’re just estimates, I’m always adjusting the vinegar/mustard ratio.

That sounds more doable than anything I have seen yet.

for anyone converting recipes, this one is the bomb: http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/

Allows you to choose the ingredient, so takes volume, viscosity, etc., into account.

Excellent link!

1 Like