Mustard alert

There was plenty of Grey Poupon and store brand Dijon on the shelf at Kroger today. But that may not be quite up to snuff for some of you. Good enough for me though.

2 Likes

Hands down . Edmond Fallot Dijon has always been my favorite

5 Likes

Currently in SW France. No mustard of any kind on the Intermarche /LeClerc shelves for 3 weeks.

1 Like

Iā€™m partial to Edouard Fallot, but mostly bc Iā€™m addicted to their walnut mustard.

3 Likes

Fallotā€™a walnut (noix) mustard is fabulous!

2 Likes

IKR? Itā€™s essential for my walnut vinaigrette (with walnut oil).

Failed dijon seed crops are the cause. You canā€™t make mustard without mustard seeds. However, yellow mustard isnā€™t involved in the shortage. :hotdog:

We actually celebrated Bastille Day with rabbit in mustard sauce. Hehe

3 Likes

I stocked up on Edmund Fallot. Will make it through to the next harvest.

2 Likes

FWIW, even in unopened jars, prepared mustard loses its punch over time. Think twice about the amount you stockpile, particularly if itā€™s an expensive brand.

3 Likes

Hi Erica, good point you make. I got a few jars of Maille and Grey Poupon (specifically because of the warning in this thread) with use-by dates from early 2023 through mid 2024. I did this mostly because I and 2 of my daughters (who will be returning to their respective college apartments in a few weeks, thus splitting up the mustards) like Dijon better than other mustards.

But I donā€™t have any real experience (never paid attention before) to time-quality, because when all the kids are here we use it up so fast.

Do you think these are generally good at least through their use-by dates, under adequate refrigeration?

When everyone is at home, we go through a jar in just a month or so, but it will be slower once we separate again.

1 Like

No idea. Iā€™ve never refrigerated an unopened jar of mustard. I once bought a lot of jars of onion mustard at a store closing sale. At the time, I didnā€™t know it gets milder with time. It took me maybe 5 years to use them. The last few definitely tasted blander.

1 Like

Thanks. My only real regret then is that I wrote ā€œsplitting up the mustardsā€ but now realize the word ā€œcuttingā€ would have been a better pair mate for ā€œmustardā€.

:wink:

My grandparents always left a big jar of Plochmanā€™s on the kitchen table, never refrigerated. It did get kind of weak tasting near the end of the jar, which could take 6-8 months or more.

1 Like

I always have on hand 5-10 different types of good mustard. I can not tell a lie though, Included during the summer months is Plochmanā€™s ā€œthe worksā€ variety, fully loaded hotdog flavors. Convenient when grilling outdoors away from home, no need to pack extra condiments or just being lazy when at home.
I always liked Kosciusko, but it doesnā€™t taste the same to me.
FWIW, leave it to NJ, plenty of interesting and good mustard in the local supermarkets, but good luck finding guldens, DHā€™s preferred brand and nowhere to be found.

1 Like

David Lebovitz weighed in on the issue.

3 Likes

Fun article! I blow through mustard very fast, a tsp. a day in vinaigrette; a tbspā€¦ in a batch of mayonnaise; dollops with ham, sausages, sandwiches; smeared on lamb chops on the grill; and sometimes just a spoonful for the cook. The one decidedly French treat where I skip the mustard is on a jambon beurre.

I disagree with Leibowitz on string bags. You can get a ton of stuff into one.

our supermarket had full to overflowing Dijon style/brands of mustardā€¦
now - considering the problem is crop reduction/failure of specific mustard plants-seeds in specific regions of France . . . anything in the USA inventory/supply chain was made/shipped/distributed long time ago . . . .

Itā€™s also the supply of Canadian mustard seeds to France. Last yearā€™s crop.

2 Likes

Itā€™s real. Used to be in Mt Horeb. I havenā€™t been to the new locaation.

Nothing wrong with yellow mustard. Just doesnā€™t have a ton of mustard in it, but it has its place. Thereā€™s a time and place for every mustard.

I love mustards; like to keep my addiction going.