Mustard alert

On BBC World, it was explained that due to 2021 drought conditions in the North American and French regions where the seeds used in Dijon mustard are grown, the harvests were both half the usual yield. It is expected that quite soon, dijon will be in scarce supply.

4 Likes

Seriously doubt it . Drama news . Just higher prices. These regions have figured it out for hundreds of years. Maybe time to dig a well.

5 Likes
1 Like

Although climate change is terrible and many of the effects are devastating, not having enough mustard is easily mitigated. Make your own.

1 Like

I wanted to buy mustard since June, I remember a half empty shelf in early June, but I couldn’t find my brand. Curiously the section just vanished from the supermarket a week later, not just empty shelves, and it never returned. I don’t desperately need them but want to keep a bottle in stock. I know why now!

Here’s an article about the mustard shortage in The Guardian.

1 Like

By co-incidence, Dijon was on our shopping list for yesterday’s supermarket trip. They were out of stock (both major brands and their own label product). I’d assumed it was just a simple supply chain matter (we’ve become used to that since Brexit) and hadnt realised it was a different issue.

3 Likes

Apparently the yellow seeds are still in good supply. The problem is the specific brown seeds used in Dijon are not much available.

Not prescient but lucky, I just bought two of the large bottles of Roland Dijon, a smaller one of Fallot, and a Mr. Mustard. Now I wish I had grabbed some Pommery, too.

1 Like

There is a sweet little home-owned “Pic n Save” discount market we pass en route to the country. It is, depending on your perspective, a treasure hunt in Ali Baba’s cave or a crap shoot. In the last few months, there has been an avalanche of mustard, mostly assorted flavors by Fallot. Without considering what we already had on hand, we scooped up jar after jar until I cried “Uncle!”. Classic Dijon, Bourgogne, Chablis, Noix (walnut), a coarse seeded one, Cassis. Glad now we did. Oh, and they were something like $1 a jar.

5 Likes

If things get worse, I know who I’ll hit up for an emergency shipment! I am kidding but I could probably make you an excellent trade. Sriracha, and hot sauces are in short supply too. Worrying times.

3 Likes

Interesting re the hot sauces. Several brands of sriracha and many, many hot sauces are in plentiful supply here, SF. That is not to say that some big sellers like Costco and the like might be caught unprepared for panic buying after the publicity about shortages.

1 Like

Don’t forget about shopping online at the National Mustard Museum in Middleton, WI. I’ve never been there, but someday…
https://mustardmuseum.com/

2 Likes

I buy this Canadian brand. The Dijon by Anton is quite good. https://www.kozliks.com/#our-mustard

My local grocery hasn’t had Sriracha for at least 3 weeks. I was moving my daughter in to her new apt in Florida, and their local had it, so I bought some.

Our local grocery here still has Maille brand Dijon so I got 2 of them, plus a “Poupon” brand jar. I figure those will get us through any shortage, or we’ll learn to do with yellow.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

But I agree…make your own if necessary.

I’m not familiar with the eye rolling emoji. Are you questioning that climate change is destructive?

I can’t reply.

Very wise move! I’d be hard pressed to live without Dijon, since I put some in just about every vinaigrette I make. My sriracha supply is dangerously low too, but at least I can get heat from other sources.

2 Likes

So you “respectfully decline”?
:smiley:

2 Likes