Mufulettas in the DC metro area

I’m planning a trip to try the one at Manifest Bread tomorrow. Are there muffulettas in the DC area that are worthy the name?

1 Like

Not that I’ve ever found.

I feel like there are two types of muffuletta sandwiches.

Those made in an Italian deli and those from a French creole place.

There are quite a few of the former in DC, but none in the latter that I know of.

I prefer the latter.

I think that to be muffuletta, there needs at minimum to be a round roll and an olive salad. If it’s a sub roll, it’s a sub, regardless of ingredients.

2 Likes

The ones at Italian delis are usually made with muffuletta bread, which isn’t all that surprising since muffuletta breads were a Sicilian creation.

Where are your favorites?

There’s Muffuletta Bread and then there’s a Muffuletta sandwich, which legend says, was created at Central Grocery in New Orleans. If i had access to a bakery that made authentic Muffuletta bread, I would be making my own. Olive salad isn’t hard to do and Cajun Grocer delivers most brands. Now, I since don’t have the luxury of an Italian bakery nearby, I’ve used Goldbelly to deliver authentic Central Grocery Store Muffs during Mardi Gras Season.

2 Likes

I am way late to the thread, but the Bayou Bakery in Courthouse used to have a Muffaletta on their lunch menu. I have not been there in a couple years because I did not think it was a proper Muffaletta at all.
But I do not know the sandwich all that well, so I could be in error. I had friends who really like it, which is why I went and tried it.

1 Like

Anxious to hear about the Manifest Bread muffuletta - will be heading up that way next weekend

In general, I’ve found Bayou Cafe very disappointing.

1 Like

My muffaletta history is limited but the one at Bayou Bakery was simply odd. The loaf had a burnt taste to it even though the loaf appeared to have been baked properly. And the olive salad was a discordant mess.
I never did find a place at Court House that served really good food other than one specialty at Ragtime. I used to go the Ragtime for their Seafood Tuesday special relatively regularly for the peel and eat shrimp, mussels, oysters and snow crab clusters. The odd thing was that every week 3 of the 4 would be fairly good and one would be abysmal. But the abysmal one was different each week. None of the items were ever really good but usually 3 of the 4 would be fairly good, if that makes sense. And one would be “leave it uneaten” bad.

1 Like

I am still trying to recover from my first New Orleans Muffaletta from Faidy’s in Bywater.

4 Likes

Jealous!

1 Like

We were on the City of New Orleans and this was our sustenance. Either the other roomette passengers near us were either jealous or not happy at the smells!

2 Likes

Jealous, I’m sure. I had that reaction when I’d bring a mojo-permeated Cuban sandwich back to the office.

Could you please email me the photos? I’d like to use them in a blog post, with such attribution (eg Dean of Hungry Onion, your name, or an unnamed gourmet). My email is johntannerlaw@gmail.com

Thanks

And respect —indeed awe — for taking in a whole muffuletta uncut

They quartered the behemoth and wrapped each quarter separately in 4 layers: wax paper, sandwich wrap x 2, and cling film. They were oily as heck! In the best way possible.

During the leisurely time it took the counter clerk to wrap the sandwich, we learned we were not staying on Rue des Chartres as we thought but on Charters Street. She also told us to enjoy our Moof Uh Lat Ah.

You are never too old to learn new things daily.

3 Likes

Pro tip: One muff is the perfect football food. Four quarters of football, four quarters of muff. Central Grocery to the Superdome. Sublime.

If you have wheels, check out a locals favorite, Nor-Joe Importing in Metairie.

3 Likes

LOL yes, Moofalatta!

1 Like

How many beers per quarter?

2 Likes