Moving to Westchester! Please hit me with your favorites!

Yup … that is what I was going to suggest
see if anything appeals to you and perhaps we
can provide some input
http://www.opentable.com/s/?personalizer=true&covers=2&dateTime=2016-08-22%2019%3A00&metroId=8&regionIds=20&areaId=Macro%3A20&pageType=0

Would you consider just good food tonight
and doing something on a future date with" wow" factor like Blue Hill at Stone Barns

Oh definitely, we’re probably not going to have the energy to dress up for a “wow” place anyway! Crabtree Kittle House sounds interesting, I’ll have a look there and check Open Table as well.

1 Like

You don’t have to dress up if you hit the Tap room at Crabtree. Jeans are even ok. Much less formal.award winning wine list. You can do tap room menu (great sliders) or dining room menu. It’s a perfect compromise. And they’re open. And happy anniversary!!!

1 Like

Thanks! I think we’re going to try Crabtree tonight if the contractor is quick, otherwise we’ll punt and try Kishuya for ramen or just drive up Warburton and see what looks interesting in Hastings or Dobbs!

2 Likes

If you are still in the area, RiverMarket is almost on the water and closer to home
http://rivermarketbarandkitchen.com/
Happy Anniversary!!!

Thank you! This one sounds excellent too. Unfortunately, the contractor didn’t leave until after 8 so we decided to stay in and order sushi. There’s always tomorrow, though!

2 Likes

Just a quick report on the sushi - New Tokyo House on Palisade Ave. delivered some tasty stuff! We had gyoza and an assortment of rolls (my husband isn’t a big raw fish fan so sashimi is a no-go with him). The fish tasted fresh, the wasabi packed a big punch and the rice-to-filling ratio was perfect. $55 with tip and we’re stuffed, so I can’t complain - we’ll order from them again!

2 Likes

Dinner out again tonight. I went to work today and my husband stayed home to paint his man-cave, so he was exhausted and starving by the time we met up afterwards. He wanted comfort food, so we decided to try Maud’s Tavern in Hastings. It was…interesting. The food (burger for me, meatloaf and mash for him) was fine, but the restaurant is definitely geared for a different audience. The place was full of regulars, mostly 20+ years older than we are, and while they were very friendly it was obvious that they weren’t sure what the hell we were doing there, LOL. The menu wasn’t interesting at all (think meat with industrial sauces and potatoes/frozen vegetables on the side - that’s why I ended up with a burger), so unless my husband gets another craving for meatloaf with mushroom-cornstarch gravy, I doubt we’ll return.

1 Like

lol … Maud’s is my Mother and Father in laws go to spot.
They are respectively 82 and 83, sit outside on the patio when possible
and also like to drink.
We joined them there for a meal once. I remember nothing
about the food but do remember that they offer water to accompanying
dogs…that’s nice

This is a very accurate description of 95% of the patrons in the place last night. :smile:

1 Like

Ha ha … I just got a visual from the British movie Cockneys vs Zombies
One semi fail is not too bad …
I am looking forward to your exploration of the Yonkers food scene

I completely forgot about Orza Bakery… they are a 24/7 operation and are closed only twice a year for a few hours on Christmas day and New Years day. If you go have someone with you, one to drive and one to jump out of the car if need be. Parking can be challenging especially on holidays.
They are not an artisanal bakery but many of their breads and rolls are good
They supply a fair number of delis and restaurants
http://orzabakery.com/

Bonus, Orza is very, very close to Tacos Poblano,( previously mentioned)
http://www.tacoselpoblano.com/#!/page_splash
don’t let the neighborhood intimidate you :wink:

Dom and Vinnies on Saw Mill River Road for their house made cannoli’s and cheese cake
you can get both items to go … their food is very hit or miss
http://www.domnvinnie.com/

Do try giannonis deli on Garth road ( a favorite)

Their cajun sandwich is off the charts.

Lefteris gyro is decent. I bet the souvlaki truck down on central ave has to be unique too.

For Indian food, there’s nothing that I would recommend. Westchester sucks with Indian food.
I guess you should either go into the city or some Dhaba.

Just stopped by the Souvlaki Truck yesterday. Still yummy!

1 Like

I didn’t care for Polpettina either. Thought the prices were way high and didn’t really enjoy their food. Pizza was very chewy and doughy. Salad was overdressed. Not my favorite and won’t be back to either location.

1 Like

Re: Indian food in Westchester, Calcutta Wrap and Roll in Ardsley is consistently good and sometimes great.

Positively saying, although I understand your opinion, Calcutta Wrap and Roll is an extremely mediocre restaurant.

I know Indian food from scratch and can tell you that the restaurant is not one bit authentic.

As far as quality goes, I have had their paneer tikka before, and kati roll. The paneer is not of good quality and usually has a rotten taste. The kati roll is overly salty. Even their Biryani lacks real spices and weight.

SImilar restaurants to calcutta are royal palace, Raasa, and probably one more.

Indian food needs both quality and authenticity with the grounding of spices.

Comparatively, spice village does a better job even though they kind of dumb down the flavor because they think the general public won’t be able to tolerate it.

If you want real Indian flavor, go try some dosas at the Ganesh Temple Canteen in Queens. It will blow your mind.

Coromandel is not bad.

However, the Indian restaurant business in Westchester kind of disregards the quality and grounding of spices.

However, Bengal Tiger was decent before the fire…agreed.

Ambadi is much better than Calcutta.

Unfortunately, as I have mentioned in another comment, Calcutta isn’t as authentic as people think.

The quality is on a downhill, and since I know Indian cuisine from scratch, it disappoints me.

When one is an indian themself, talking with restaurants owners gives a lot of insight.

If you want real Indian flavor, go try some dosas at the Ganesh Temple Canteen in Queens.