Morristown area eats

So my mother recently passed away and I have been staying at her place in Morristown taking care of some things. Even though I’ve spent 1-2 days a week in Morristown going back YEARS, I’ve never really eaten out much here because, well, mom’s always cooking. Anyway, I’ve had a chance to do some exploring (but unfortunately been going mostly back to the same places over and over again) and thought I’d start a Morristown posts to share my finds and get some recs.

Indian
Cinnamon - In Morris Plains rt 10 they do a great weekday buffet. Price comes out to 18 including tax, which is slightly higher than some others, but they make up for it by having a fantastic spread, and there is lamb or goat every day. I try to go on goat days. I’ve been on an Indian food bender, having been at a buffet like 6 times over the last 2 weeks.

Tandoori Flame - this is actually in Parsippany but also pretty great. It’s a bit cheaper during weekday at 15 bucks including tax, which is nice on the wallet. They are almost entirely self service (you get your own water and napkins), and only meat available is chicken, but they give you plenty of options. Well worth it IMO. And their service model tells me I can tip less which is nice. And their naan is cooked to order, super buttery and really great, much better than the ones at Cinnamon. They have a more expensive lunch buffet on the weekends which has goat, so I am hoping to try that out. Have I mentioned I like goat?

Sushi
Miga Sushi, Denville - wow! This is easily the best AYCE sushi place I’ve ever been to. You know how AYCE places usually put out subpar products that’s way more rice than anything else? Not here. It’s all close to or as good as regular sushi place quality. 32 bucks for AYCE. Just don’t get the shrimp tempura, it’s atrocious.

Korean BBQ
Woodam, Morris Plains - who would have thought there would come a day you would see a Korean BBQ place entirely packed with Koreans? This place puts out really good meat. You can’t go wrong with the beef combo for 110ish bucks that can feed 3 people. The combo includes a nice cut of prime ribeye!

Latin stuff
There’s a LOT of hispanic options here in Morristown. Unfortunately these places can be hard to navigate for the really interesting options because I don’t have familiarity with them and often there’s a significant language barrier. Which gets me started with… a place I forget the name of. This Mexcian (?) place is so under the radar that they are listen on NEITHER YELP NOR GOOGLE. If you google their phone number it doesn’t even show a result! The waitress behind the counter spoke so little english she didn’t know what MENU meant. The place is obviously entirely composed of people from the region just looking for a good cheap home meal. It’s one of those buffet behind counter places, which is challenging because I don’t know what anything is, but I intend to go back and report on it.

Pollos Pulacor - right down the street from the above place, this is a rotisserie chicken joint. I’m not sure what nationality it’s supposed to be but if you’ve had Peruvian chicken that’s the experience. The chicken’s nicely spiced, their green sauce is great, and it’s priced right at just 7 bucks for a half chicken.

Rico Pan Bakery - another challenging place, they have a hot premade foods station with sausages, pork, chicken, arepas, empanadas, things like that. I tried this crispy breaded empanda thing and got a strip of fried pork belly (a bargain at 4 bucks). Their hot sauce is great.

And finally, probably the place I’ve eaten the most at-

A&B Bagels, Morris Plains - I’ve probably eaten more bagels in the last month staying at my moms than I have in the last year thanks to this place. I used to be a hater of egg bagel sandwiches, but this place makes it so good and the eggs are perfectly slightly goopy every time. I’m sort of new to the egg bagel game (I’ve always gotten it on a roll, as when I get a bagel I’m usually team cream cheese), but I’ve found getting it toasted makes a huge difference. The best part about this place is their pricing, it’s simply insane. Have a look at this roast beef club: The only bad thing I can say about this sandwich is that there’s so much meat in it that to get the best experience you have to remove some to have a better lettuce/tomato/bacon bread balance. I literally cannot get my jaw around this beast. It’s under 10 bucks for this monster and I swear you couldn’t get this much roast beef at a supermarket for 10 bucks. Also I’m pretty sure the beef is store baked. I’ve eaten here almost every day since I’ve discovered it.

Anyway that’s all I got for now!

Oh 1 more - the local institution Arthurs. I used to go here when their steaks were 20 bucks. Now it’s 40 and they removed free cole slaw. But the steaks are better than ever and the crust they get on these things is really impressive, I’d love to know how they do it. Maybe @NotJrvedivici has some crust insights. At 40 bucks though, I think I’ll pay a little extra and go to the Korean place next door, which is BYOB and much better value.

11 Likes

Arthurs as in the North Brunswick / Hoboken Arthurs? Wow talks about memory lane, I haven’t been to one in over 20 years, so I have no comment on how they char their steaks. I remember they had the butter-soaked garlic bread, it was like a loaf of white bread roll, with a TON of butter garlic and cheese.

1 Like

Yeah, that same Arthurs… sort of. I think there were a small handful of them at some point as a chain of sorts, but it looks like they are now independent although the operations are the same - 24oz ribeye and liter beers. I used to go to the North Brunswick location once or twice a year but haven’t been in probably 10 years. I want to say I believe the Morris Plains location is the original but not certain.

3 Likes

It’s definitely the same Arthur’s and I believe this location is still owned by his family. When I lived in Bayonne I would go at least once a week to the Hoboken location. Every once in a while we’ll still drive up from Middletown to get a steak in Morris Plains. The steak, potatoes, onion soup and chocolate mousse cake for desert all taste the same! Like Joon said it’s gone from being less than 20 bucks for that 24 ounce steak in the mid 90’s to around 40 now but considering how good it still tastes I think it might be one of the best steak values out there. If you loved the Hoboken and Brunswick locations I’d say it’s worth a trip.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. May her memory be a blessing.

5 Likes

I just might have to take the trip. Thank you

Good to see you here, @joonjoon! I sent you a DM – really sorry to hear about your mom.

You’re eating at places near right near where I grew up… As in, three doors to the left of Arthur’s was Tony’s pizza and that was where I ate pizza as a kid.

I’m curious to know where the Korean BBQ place is – did it take over the Vietnamese place next to a bagel place on route 10 and M Plains? That Vietnamese place used to be great… If it’s still there and you haven’t checked it out, feel free to do so! And I’m wondering if the Korean BBQ place is where the mostly Israeli/Mediterranean place was also near Arthur’s…? As you can probably tell, I haven’t been eating out that way too often–and when I do it’s with my BFF’s almost 95-year-old dad, so it’s never any place interesting. The best thing we can convince him to do is Hunan Taste in Denville. Right up the street from my favorite ice cream at Denville Dairy!

2 Likes

The Peking Duck is pretty tasty!

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your mom joonjoon. I only know Hackettstown restaurants from visiting my Dad, who is now in Virginia. Miss a couple but more miss the experiences.
I grew up in Morris Plains but the scene has changed a lot since Ronnie’s Delicatessen, Friendly’s, and Collins Pub, where I had my first legal drinks (a flaming shot of Sambuca I didn’t know I was supposed to blow out). Tony’s was the spot where two slices and a fountain drink were $0.95! Lol. Hard to imagine. Love the bagel spot and hit them up whenever I pass through town.
In Morristown cannot go wrong with Long John’s for subs, Dublin Pub, Swiss Chalet for baked goods, or a Hot Dog on the Green. Would selfishly vouch for my customers Chef Fredy’s Table, where the chef Fredy was Sous Chef at the Recovery Room back in the day, or Azure the Greek.

Comments fom my buddy who recently stopped by Arthur’s. I at one time put away the 48 oz steak and sides. Not sure if I could today.

Went to Arthur’s for lunch today.

1. They don’t open until 3.
  2. The 16 oz domestic beer is $10 with tax and tip.
  3. The 24 oz delmonico is $50 with tax and tip.
    There is no more 48 ouncer. Also no more chicken salad sandwich.
    We sat at the bar but did not drink since a beer is $10. No more health salad but they give you pickles and peppers if you ask for them.8
1 Like

High volume steak broilers cook from the top and bottom and do a great job of searing and sealing in flavor. Probably one of these or radiant underfired broiler.
87355994.png

2 Likes

Starting to wonder if we ever crossed paths… :slight_smile: Do you know if Collins is still there??

Back in my 20s, we used to drink the HUGE steins of beer at Arthur’s and I know they were cheap…no clue what they cost. And while I could never finish one of those steaks, I do recall that they (and the potatoes) were DElicious and I got at least a second meal out of them. The best part was that the friends I went with on a regular basis ended up buying their first house a couple of blocks down the street next to the restaurant. That made for MANY additional visits.

3 Likes

Sadly, Collins closed shop 2019 or 2020 ish

1 Like

Bummer

I was going to say, I thought there was a “regular cut” then a “double cut” as well. I think it was $12 vs. $24, back in the day. I already told my family this is my birthday dinner destination this year.

3 Likes

The KBBQ place is in the same strip as Arthurs, on the other end heading towards Morristown! I don’t recall there being a Vietnamese place there but I haven’t been keeping tabs. I’ve been to Hunan Taste a long time ago, I think. I’ll check out the ice cream!

@KAOSKitchen Oh man don’t get me started on Collins, that might have been my favorite bar of all time. They had cheaper ribeye than Arthurs and their prices across the board were incredible. So sad they are gone, Covid killed them off circa 2020. When my mom was in the hospital around 2012 (year of Sandy) Collins was a daily stop for me. I believe their 22oz ribeye was 19 dollars at that point.

Sounds like you and @CurlzNJ both have a spot in your heart for Tony’s, imma have to check it out!! I always go for the liter beer at Arthurs, my friends and I used to do chug offs there. The liter beer is still a pretty good deal considering prices these days, but no more black and tan or Guinness liters. I guess to keep the price down. I was also disappointed in the lack of health salad. :frowning: If you factor in drink prices the KBBQ next door is a far superior option now, yet there’s still a line out the door every weekend at Arthurs, I don’t know how they do it.

As for the sear, those units are what most steakhouses use, yet I’ve never seen a sear like this anywhere unless I ask for it “Pittsburgh.” The manager at Mortons told me when they Pitts they cook the steak and throw it on to a screaming hot pan, so I feel like that’s probably what they do at Arthurs?

As for the 48, I haven’t attempted it but eehh… I think 24 is the sweet spot. Surprisingly I had no problem finishing off the 24 and all the potatoes, didn’t even feel that stuffed after. On another visit we had some apps, and I ended up not finishing the steak. I mean I could have but I thought it’d be better to save for later. @NotJrvedivici the North Brunswick location still does the 48 if you want to throw down! I’ll have to crash your birthday party to challenge you!

@CurlzNJ back when I used to regular at Arthurs the liters used to cost like 7 bucks. This was in the early 2000s.

3 Likes

Also, shout out to Tandoori Flame in Parsippany for having the BEST goat ever on their weekend buffet. Absolutely love their weekend spread! Their weekend biryani is also fantastic! (I have now had Indian buffet 9 times in the last 3 weeks)

1 Like

DAMN! I’m going to have to find a reason to go up there on a weekend. Love good goat, and a good Indian buffet is, of course, a beautiful thing anywhere !**

I think the 24 OZ was 13.95 when I discovered Arthurs. It seems insane to think about that.

1 Like

I went to a different place that had goat today. So far I’ve had goat at 3 total different locations here and the quality is like night and day between the others and this place. Man I’m gonna have to find a comparable place in Edison or I’m gonna be doing hour drives to eat here.

1 Like

A few other ideas in the area from a newb if I might. All on 46
Shan Shan Noodles (Xinjiang Hand Pulled Noodles)
A2B (Veg Udipi)
Qing Dynasty (decent plus dim sum)

Happy to engage on the topic as I live very near Morristown.

3 Likes