More Chowhound Shenanigans

To be perfectly honest that is why I’m so on/off again with the group. There are so many posts (Like the WFD Threads here) it blows up my notifications and I have a hard time keeping up and clearing them all. There are a lot of people VERY interested in what we have for dinner!! (Better that than politics though!!!)

Hope all is well Lingua!!

Wincountrygirl, they took down my link to this website which appeared before your comment.

I just checked and my comment is still there. Maybe because I did not put a link?

Since they obviously lurk in this thread, maybe we should keep saying that someone left a link somewhere on CH and send them on a wild goose chase. Lol!

4 Likes

Just noticed this topic there: http://www.chowhound.com/post/hungry-cook-1042639?commentId=9909861

CH seems to be getting a very large proportion on new posters who often seem to be fooling around more than serious… or at least appear to have no idea what a discussion board is for. Then the mods decide to lock the topic, in this case saying it’s getting “unfriendly” when a quick read shows it to be more like it’s just going nowhere.

The other day I jumped back in to a veryold topic about what a term meant. I wound up in something of a “disagreement” with a first time poster who went off on me as baiting him. Turned out I had misunderstood his/her point. Went back to apologize but no response. The boards are more and more VERY sparse with any topics I feel like investing time in.

Was that thread moderated? I only see one “unfriendly” post, but even that person had a point, the topic is so vague it’s almost impossible to give a relevant response. I don’t even check in there once a week anymore…I haven’t posted anything in well over a month I would say, if even longer. No point.

Jesus, the CH Mods think THAT is an unfriendly post? LOL They’ve tightened the definition of “unfriendly” by a measure of about 100x, IMO, if that’s the case.

And that was a definite drive-by “baiting” post - something totally nonsensical (“I’m hungry; I don’t cook; I don’t have anything in the cupboards; I don’t have any money…what do I DOOOOOO???”

And rather than delete the user entirely and the thread, the Mods allow the dumb-ass post to stay up, and then call those who responded to the dumbass “unfriendly” for simply trying to elicit additional information from the dumbass poster.

The CH Mods are the dumbasses, in this case.

3 Likes

No indication that the topic was flagged. Could have been. Just one more drive-by dumb topic. Lots of junior high types out there finding CH due to its current strategy I guess.

Looks like I was ahead of my time there…

1 Like

This kind of thing has been happening for a while. I think Chow has enough topics with good google weight that people asking google dumb things tend to end up there. Just think of all of the new users posting “Can I eat xyz after it’s been out?” posts. It’s that same phenomenon.

I put up a post on the Chow New Jersey forum to get a local member over here (welcome @junkliss) , and luckily he saw the post and made it here before they took it down.

I personally have no ill feelings towards Chowhound. They made some bad decisions and people left. It happens. But the site still has value. I just want to be in online environments with people who share a passion for food. The NJ board there was my home but now it’s dead. I still participate when I can but I don’t understand what they are trying to accomplish with all this censorship. That board is dead, and it’s not coming back. I just want to rescue the stragglers who are wondering where the hell everyone went so that we can have a nice community somewhere.

Having said that, I’m not quitting Chowhound. Their Home Cooking board is still one of the best in the business, and much more active than the equivalent here.

2 Likes

Well joon get those home cookers over here!! C’mon man use that joon charm, I know you can do it!! lol

I’m still a member (non banned) and I also have no ill will towards Chow. For whatever reason, well I’m pretty sure I know the reason, they just don’t need much new content. They have more content then you can shake a stick to, so I’m sure it’s just cheaper for them to concentrate elsewhere.

I’m very appreciative of the time and effort @hungryonion has put into this for all of us and I will do whatever I can to help this site grow for all our benefit. (plus I have a contract that once we reach 100K member I get my own board, right Sampson!?!??!)

6 Likes

Well so much for that. Last night I posted a LONG reply to someone on the NJ Chowhound board with tons of relevant information and links, including a link to a very relevant discussion on this board. Deleted. I posted a message on Site Talk asking them to clarify their position on what exactly is and isn’t allowed in terms of outside links. Deleted.

Not sure when Chowhound turned into North Korea, but I have no interest in associating myself with an organization like that. Good bye.

8 Likes

Good riddance!!

1 Like

I don’t get it. They still don’t get why everyone left? The moderators there are the worst. Who put them in charge and who actually overlooks the stuff they delete/edit? I don’t understand what they are aiming for.

has anyone heard from equal mark and tapas? …2 nice guys.

1 Like

Wow. Just wow.

Last I had heard equal mark was having health issues.

Yeah I heard that too. He is definitely a cool guy and fellow foodie. Hopefully things work out for him.

So just as CH didn’t (initially) allow references to eGullet after Jason Perlow and Steven Shaw left to form that new site, neither will they allow references to Hungry Onion. Very narrow-minded. Your North Korea reference is very apt.

2 Likes

I do find the imagery of Kim Jung Un running things there to be a funny one!!

2 Likes

Okay I have one. I posted a brief sarcastic response to this:
http://www.chowhound.com/post/jarritos-journey-1042753

Something like “great to know the love of super sugary artificially flavored sodas unites us all” and POOF. No idea why that was verboten.