More Chowhound Shenanigans

Have you seen me? More like a 4x8!

Yeah, it was touching, I felt so loved.

Your post made me go check my old email that I had connected to Chow, no email from Marcella missing me or begging me to return. :frowning:

Luckily Iā€™m use to not feeling loved.

1 Like

I would check my email but I blocked sender the whole domainā€¦
aaaah. luvā€™ the peace & quiet

She hasnā€™t invited me back. I was suspended (only once) last May, AFTER Iā€™d already told them I quit, I never attempted to be reinstated.

Chowhound seems to be MIA today, Internal server error.

Implosion?

Nah, itā€™s back. I thought it might have been euthanized.

3 Likes

I was astonished at the Teamā€™s response to a question yesterday, did they not have a way to test advertisements for quality and safety before allowing them to appear in the production system. They donā€™t. They rely on user feedback to flag inappropriate or dangerous ads. Which the users might do after theyā€™ve been infected with malware or invisible tracking cookies. Boggling.

whatā€™s to astonish about?

a website signs up for an ā€œad serviceā€ - which pays them per view/click/whatever.

the ad service ā€œserverā€ dishes up content based on whatever - lots of criteria available.

malware cretins submit an ad to run; after it starts running they modify the ad to include malware/redirects/everythingandanythingnastyyoucanthinkof.

the website owner/management does not control which specific things appear on their website. rather most of the time they donā€™t care - they only care about the size of the click check they get every week/month.

clicking on any adware in any forum/site is an invitation for disaster.

2 Likes

It seams reasonable that a company should have a test bed to run the ads on before theyā€™re pushed live, just as they should use a test system to vet software modifications before pushing them live. This wouldnā€™t solve the problem of post-submission alterations. The poster in that thread had a problem with pop-up ads in mobile devices, taking over the whole screen on top of CH content. A script in that pop-up could do real damage without the user having to do anything at all, and of course thereā€™s the issue of tracking cookies.

I agree that clicking on any adware could be disastrous. But the passive nature of their ad protocols, the pop-ups, makes clicking unnecessary. Also, itā€™s too easy to accidentally tap when youā€™re trying to scroll past an inline ad, an accidental click.

They have always told us that they have had no way to vet ads before they post and until they get complaints ever since the changeover from discussion site to click bait.

They could do it if they wanted to.

1 Like

The idea that they would pay to have people screen all ads is pretty far-fetched. Itā€™s been my observation that they can, however, set certain criteria with the ad service and that they do follow up on user complaints.

2 Likes

dangerous ads? That is not good.

The mods have not been given the tools to do it. Management has no intention of slowing ad revenue to the site.

No Banana Board this year.

2 Likes

I donā€™t look at whoā€™s still posting but I wonder if a lot of the people with senses of humor left.

1 Like

Hi, Cath:

I wonder if Steve, a/k/a ā€œNothingā€™s Really Changedā€, is still there. Oh, wait, heā€™s still carrying their water in the humor that made him famous: http://www.chowhound.com/post/based-latest-observation-development-site-decimated-1034276

I confess I have been responding to some threads there. My sense is that even the greybeards who stayed loyal to CH arenā€™t posting new threadsā€“they just respond to the newbs who canā€™t/wonā€™t use the search function.

Another funny thing thatā€™s happening is that many threads there go seriously OTā€“as in, ā€œHey, this profiteroles thread is great, anyone have a tajine?ā€ I find this deliciously ironic, given CHā€™s prior merciless pursuit and removal of ANY OT subject, humorous aside or tangential reference. Either no oneā€™s following their North Korean-style snitching protocol, or CH has decided a click is just a click after all.

The King Is Dead. Long Live the King!

Aloha,
Kaleo

2 Likes

Kaleo, heā€™s one of the original as heā€™ll tell you, back when you could have a screen name of Steve. We actually met him for lunch in DC a few years ago. (Arguably one of the best Ethiopian places there.) Obviously heā€™s stuck in the past, unable to move on. I see Melanie Wong is still there.