Montana -- Bozeman, Helena, and West Glacier

Where should we eat – breakfast, lunch, and dinner? No boundaries. Well, not many.

3 Likes

In Helena

COTTON TOP PASTRIES

BAD BETTY’S BBQ

2 Likes

I love Bozeman. If I was going to move to the States, and couldn’t live in northern California or in NYC, Bozeman would be in my top 3 places to live.

I didn’t love the burger I ordered, so I won’t mention the lunch place. It was more of a historic luncheonette.

Very cute donut shop across from campus. Cash only.

The pie by the slice is almost always excellent in Montana, in my experience.

https://www.rockfordcoffee.com/

Cc @ZivBnd

1 Like

Thanks ipsedixit and phoenikia! Y’all
alway come through

1 Like

The fun, casual food crawl:
Bozeman: the Western Cafe, Montana Ale Works
West Glacier: The Belton, Eddie’s
Columbia Falls: Tiens, Backslope Brewing, the Backroom
Kalispell: Montana Club, Sun Rift Brewing
Whitefish: Loula’s, the Buffalo Cafe, Whitefish Golf Course Restaurant
Helena (pronounced ‘Hell-in-nah’: The Parrot for lunch, be sure to take, or send, a few # of their melt in the mouth flavored mints.
Some venues are seasonal, check ahead. Remember, this is Montana.
ZivBnd?

2 Likes

In West Glacier my favorite is the Belton Chalet for food and beer as mts notes. Eddies in Apgar Village is only ok food but the nearby multi color pebble beach is beautiful tho best early morning or late afternoon. If you can, book a trip on the jammer bus. It is historic and jaw dropping. The bus is close quarters for immuno compromised/concious folks though. If you have time Lake McDonald Lodge is incredible, plus its pebble beach is beautiful. Going to the Sun Highway is one of the most scenic drives in North America but they can not clear the snow until July most years.
In Columbia Falls i like Lauries Deli and Backslope Brewing. I think Glacier reservations are working well this year, we got ours by booking right at 7:01 pm the day before. Then we went to Polebridge which is beautiful but the gravel roads beat up your car a good bit.

In Whitefish Loulas is good for breakfast and their huckleberry pie is good. Town beach is beautiful and worth a visit. The Lodge north of town has fantastic views and fairly good food.
In Kalispell i really like Sykes for breakfast, the 3 meat burrito bonb is 3 meals in size. Their Farmers Breakfast is a bit more reasonable in size and price. Cislo’s is a rather good mom and pop diner. Pho Ly has good Pho but they are closed for June. My friends love Desoto Grill but i did not like their salmon. Good staff. Sun Rift Brewing is good and fun plus it is better than Bias Brewing. Himalayan Kitchen has a very good Dal Bhat Thandi and excellent lamb korma. I forgot to take the photo until i had already dug in.

Somers has a pub called Del’s that has a great porkchop sandwich, rather good damn wings and decent pizza plus it is located a mile from Somer’s rocky “beach”. Yeah, the pounded pork really is that big. Call me a philistine but i take mine w spiced monterey jack cheese.

4 Likes

:blush: I had forgotten about DeSoto and haven’t visited a few of the newbies in Kalispell yet.

2 Likes

cant warrant these but my son travels on business to MT periodically, has local staff.
He gave me the followning info:
Bozeman area: seem to remember Backcountry Burger Bar being good, the Taco Bus in Belgrade was good, Rise and Shine in Belgrade too, Cafe Havana also in Belgrade
Helena: Shellies is good diner food, Steve’s is the same only open less, seem to remember Cafe Zydeco (note a local chain) as good
Montanans like McKenzie River pizza and the Rib and Chop House, (chains) but doubt they’d be of real interest to you
He also mentioned that “there is supposed to be” good BBQ in Great Falls but hasnt checked it out

2 Likes

This isn’t about me, but if you remember the Great Falls bbq reco’s, please share. :slightly_smiling_face:
I am in Great Falls for a funeral and Howard’s Pizza is good but not great. I had pretty good Q at Smoked a while back and ok Cajun food at a place i can not remember the name of.
I tried to get into Steve’s in Helena today for lunch at 11am but the line was over 30 minutes long. Ate a decent burrito (The Criminal) at The Breakfast Club, instead.

1 Like

Brah, u’ve been away from the Asian mentality. 30 minutes aint a line, its an appetizer. :slight_smile:

True! LOL!

We were road tripping from Lakeside to Harlowton to pick up my Step Dad, then up to Great Falls. I lost sense of what my priorities should be!!!

It was a nice day though a bit cloudy.

5 Likes

Thanks, MTS!

1 Like

Great report Zivbend!

1 Like

it was Smoked. info was that it was “solid”

1 Like

Thank you, Jen!

Yes, Springtime in Montana…we get it all its beauty sometimes in just a few minutes! Do you recall the name of the restaurant in Manhattan that was very popular with family style dining, relish trays and all? I’m trying to remember the name and maybe have the city wrong. It has been a long time since I’ve visited the east side.

2 Likes

Found it…Sir Scott’s Oasis. Permanently closed.

1 Like

I am sorry to hear it is closed. I had heard of it but had not been there yet.

1 Like

Spawn1, who lives in GTF, says Smoked is ok but he prefers his own pulled pork and ribs, and felt the sides were mostly ordinary. He’ll go there when his buds want to go there, but is not a place he’d choose.

1 Like

I ended up in Borrie’s instead on Prime Rib Night.
It was pretty good, not great, but the staff was great and the Old School ambiance was nice.

4 Likes