Mona Lisa Salumeria...Eastchester, NY

I have been to both and do enjoy Elia. Oriental Palace had their good moments, but finally sold to Ku Asian Bistro. Also pretty good, by the way. The one that is getting a lot of action these days in Bagel Deli just down the street. Crowded every morning and afternoon…
The dynamic has changed in this section since the supermarket closed; now a CVS…

We went hiking in Yonkers this morning and headed over to A&S for sandwiches before we went home. Delicious! I got a modified Italian combo on a seeded hero - really good, although it was even better after it sat for a bit (I wolfed the first half and then ate the second half about 2 hours later). DH’s chicken cutlet hero was a little less good - they didn’t heat it up, which I think would have improved it immensely. It was huge, though, so he has half left and will stick it in the toaster oven for a reprise. I’m sure he could have asked them to heat it, but we didn’t think of it and the place was pretty busy, so we didn’t want to hold things up further.

Next time I would get a different bread, as I felt the hero was a bit tough to bite through. I would also prefer red wine vinegar to the balsamic that was the default. Still, a very good sandwich and worth a return visit! The staff were extremely friendly and more than happy to walk us newbies through all of the choices.

Hiking where in Yonkers. I never think of here as a hiking destination.

I always think well made Italian combo’s improve over an hour or two.

After 1-2pm the Italian bread they use for a wedge (local for hero, sub, hoagie) gets a bit firm at A&S. If you get one late morning they are very crisp, crust shatteringly so, and fluffy inside. And like you did, you have to get a sesame seeded one. The flavor improves the whole dynamic of the sandwich.

A&S will gladly heat the chicken cutlet for a sandwich. They usually ask you, but when they get a line and you have to get a number, they may forget, so you do have to remember to ask.

Got the Italian Combo at Royal Scarlet. It was huge; I had it cut in thirds. Meat was sliced fresh. In fact the first slice of each was discarded as the sandwich was being made. In addition to the lettuce, tomato and red pepper that comes with it, I added onion and sweet and hot peppers. I ate one third of the sandwich so far. It was fresh tasting. No complaints.

We went to Lenoir Preserve and then to Untermyer Park and the Aqueduct trail. None of it was truly wild, but there were quite a few bits in Untermyer Park especially that were quite steep and really let us work up a sweat. Presumably we’ll have to go a bit farther up the river to find actual wilderness, though.

1 Like

You’re pretty savvy for a newbie
Go often they change up the plantings frequently… sneak over to Alder
Manor next time … while it’s still there
https://www.google.com/search?q=alder+manor&biw=1920&bih=926&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiMsf-huf_MAhWCrD4KHd5bBF4QsAQIMw

Nice to see Royal Scarlet still looking good.

What do you recommend at Ku…we need something closer than Imperial Wok in WP.
The bagel deli has always seemed busy to me…IMO their bagels are okay, much better however than the ones in Pelham on 5th avenue…I don’t stop there often because I find the counter guys to be on the bitchy side…wonder how they are coping with the extra volume :flushed: CVS replacing DeCicco was so ridiculous … since we are discussing the area…I have to put in a good word for Pelham pizzeria it is way better than it needs to be.

Why make excuses for Pelham Pizzeria? it has always been one of the best traditional pizzerias in Westchester.
I have enjoyed a number of dishes at Ku, both eat in and take out: their spare ribs can be wonderful, big shrimp with long bean, a commendable job with General Tso’s chicken, playful and delicious specialty rolls from the sushi bar, and good lettuce wraps with choice of filling…

Thank you…All dishes my husband likes, we will make a point of getting over there.
Regarding Pelham pizzeria, what I wrote was not intended to be an excuse…It was a
shout out…we have been going for years and is currently our default since Carlo’'s started to suck!

We were driving up 9 and passing through Tarrytown to go hiking near Bear Mountain today, and we were looking for a place to grab a sandwich on the way. I googled and found a J&G Deli in Sleepy Hollow, and remembered the reference in this thread, so we stopped, not realizing that it wasn’t the same place. Happy accident, though, because the sandwiches were fantastic! I had salami, pepperoni, hot soppressata and roasted peppers on a sesame wedge, and DH had their daily special of sausage and peppers. Both excellent, although I much preferred the bread on DH’s sandwich. They didn’t load up on the meat quite as much as A&S, but the salumi themselves were EXCELLENT. I’d definitely stop in again. Anyone know if they’re related to the one in Chester Heights?

I haven’t been, but a friend recently let me know that A&S opened up in the small bank of stores just beyond the late lamented Sichuan Pavilion in Portchester. Going towards White Plains, it will on your left, Portchester, obviously on your right.

Happily there’s free parking around the corner, so I’ll have to stop in to see if the excellent counter man from Mamaroneck has been rehired.

deedee-
My understanding of A&S is that they are all (or mostly) the same family,but that they are all independent of each other. I doubt the Mamaroneck employees are at the Port Chester location. Rarely went to the Mamk. location ,i think it was severely underfunded and never really developed,but I’ve been to PC, and enjoyed it,didn’t recognize anyone though. I like the one in Mt. Pleasant best but yonkers is more convenient and almost as good (couldn’t really describe any differences)

You are right, Rich. The one in Mt. Kisco had been owned and operated by one family who were somehow forced out by another.