Mona Lisa Salumeria...Eastchester, NY

I still think the cheese and bread selection is above average
sandwiches very good…a lot of the prepared salads I don’t love
the young guy who everyone says is a psyho has always bent
over backwards for me.

quote=“primosprimos, post:19, topic:4936”]
I’ve never been to Cosmo & Alex. That’s in Mamaroneck, right?[/quote]
Yes…On Mamaroneck ave…All Cosmo and Alex below…all tasted better than it looked…but if you no longer trust my recommendations after the Mona Lisa letdown I completely understand…Trust primosprimos’
it all tasted better than it looks

Thanks to @JMF and @chowdom for your return reports and for taking one for the team! DH and I are probably going to be in Yonkers tomorrow and were thinking of heading to Mona Lisa for sandwiches - after this, I think we’ll try A&S instead!

1 Like

I noticed this at A& S this week…I really wanted to try it but didn’t eggplant stuffed with prosciutto mozz

Besides Dante, any other suggestions for a decent Italian combo wedge in the white plains area?

LOVE your pictures…and thank you, friend.:wink:

Your description of A&S in Yonkers sounds like the one of old in Mamaroneck - decent people, outstanding food, not leaving me standing there for minutes on end until they finally waited on me, and if you read my posts you KNOW I hate to wait. There was another A&S, up the line, and they were decent too, but they are too far away. I remember the guy who always waited on me in Mamaroneck telling me the place had new owners, and that he was leaving while the getting was good. Too bad, I hope he made out okay.

Cosmo & Alex is not that good, but they have some dandy octopus appetizers, and fried cauliflower, and all that other good stuff.

Looks good to me!!

You take a number and wait :sleepy: If it’s insane in there I go next door to HR fish to kill time and to spend more $$$$ why do you say Cosmo and Alex not good are you referring to sandwiches… I haven’t had one only sides and hot stuff

_[quote=“Foodygrandma, post:25, topic:4936, full:true”]
Besides Dante, any other suggestions for a decent Italian combo wedge in the white plains area?
[/quote]

_

I haven’t been there in awhile but I remember that Royal Scarlet made great sandwiches.

http://www.royalscarlet.com/

I wrote about it more than a decade ago on chowhound. Here’s my thoughts from back then.

JMF Nov 19, 2005 03:20 PM

A friend turned me on to the Royal Scarlet Deli at 99 E. Post
Rd at the intersection of Cromwell Rd in White Plains a few weeks ago.
They make incredible sandwiches. They have around 40-50 different types,
hot and cold. One board has thirty listed, then there are around ten
breakfast sandwiches, and a dozen or so daily and weekly specials. All
sound very tasty and the half dozen I have tried are HUGE.

On a roll they cost around $4.50-5.00 and a wedge costs around $7-8.50. The
roll sandwiches are so big that they have more meat and fixings than
most wedges. I could barely finish one. The wedges are so big (high and
wide and long) that you cannot eat more than 1/2 at a sitting, and
that’s pushing it. Seriously. They put POUNDS of meat and stuff on each
sandwich.

My roll yesterday had three inches of warmed Virginia
Ham covered with melted cheese, hot and sweet peppers, dijon and honey
mustard, and all the other fixings…

All the cold cuts are top quality. The tuna salad was one of the best plain and simple tuna salads I have ever had, then it was layered on top with thick slices of fresh
creamy mozzarella. Two bigs guys shared one wedge between us and were
stuffed.

They even have several different types of Italian combos depending upon what you like, mild or spicy, cold or hot.

I know I am raving about this place… because it really is that good.
It’s in a class by itself. It’s better than the great Sage Deli in
Mamaroneck (which is now my #2 pick for sandwiches) or Dantes on Central
Ave in White Plains/Hartsdale or the deli on Fort Hill Rd in Yonkers
near Central Ave, (the one near those huge apartment buildings
overlooking Best Buy,) and it blows away Zuccarellis on Rt 22 in
Eastchester.

why do you say Cosmo and Alex not good are you referring to sandwiches…

Oh, no, no, no.

They are friendly, and their sausage is the only one hubby will eat (like papa used to make) and their appetizers are good, and their frozen dough is spot on (yeah, frozen, I’m too tired to make my own anymore, get over it :grin: ), and their sandwiches look good, lines all the time, but I make my own at home.

But the platters at Christmas time in A&S in Mamaroneck made me wish I did that sort of thing. I never went into Cosmo & Alex at Christmas, so I may be shortchanging them.

Being Eyetalian, I never got Italian stuff ‘made’, I always ordered a thousand (exaggerating only a little) pounds of cold cuts and cheeses and bought bottles of this and that vinegar stuff and breads and made my own appetizers. I always made my own entrees and desserts. I’m glad that’s done - the parties I used to cater for relatives would make a mule tired.

1 Like

ok…all of the salads, cheese… in the photos in addition to several not shown were purchased separately and put together at home … I sometimes excel at opening containers, there was not one item that was not delicious. … FWIW I don’t care at all for arancini but the one we got from them with the peas and molten mozz was ridiculously good. I have not ordered a sandwich or anything from the steam table.

JMF on your recommendation from that review and a big nod from Westchester magazine (at the time I didn’t know that Westchester magazine reviews were usless) I went over to Royal Scarlet. I worked on Grand Street at the time and it was a short walk. I am going back to around 2006 or 7ish
Frankly I was shocked and thought perhaps there were two and I went to the wrong one…
IMO right up there with the worst of them…the cold cuts were pre cut and separated by little sheets of wax paper.
curled at the ends dried out and tasteless…there seemed to be hundreds of the standard deli sandwich combinations on the board some sounded good … and there were frequently lines…I just didn’t get it…nothing I ever ordred there was good.

I much preferred stopping into any one of the little Mexican spots, Ambadi or La Marquetta up the block for pernil, red beans and rice…at the time $6.oo for a plate that covered lunch and dinner.
They made it into Westchester magazines best sandwiches issue this year…that should tell you all you need to know.

Chowdom: Isn’t Ambadi Indian? By the way, does anyone still go to J & G Deli on New Rochelle Road in Chester Heights?

Wow, that’s a bummer that they went downhill like that. The times I went were great, but I haven’t been back since then, because I moved to Maine, and then elsewhere, before coming back to the area.

1 Like

Re J&G Deli - my cousin highly recommends it. I returned the favor with Cosmo & Alex in Mamaroneck.

J&G is on my ‘get thine self to these places before they close’ list.

Yes gutreactions…Ambadi is indian, I haven’t been there in years. J & G changed ownership, I don’t remember how many years ago, it was never the same…not terrible but a shadow of its former self IMO. I haven’t been there in least 4 or 5 years.
EDIT I just read priimosprimos post…I’ll try to stop into J&G again soon

Ouch. Let me know how it is, chowdom how J&G is. Perhaps my cousin hasn’t been there in years.

1 Like

I will…everything is relative
J & G used to carry pastas and breads, they had the machine for you to cut your own bread
and many more things that made you want to go there … all of that changed
immediately … I’ll make a point of getting over there. I was kind of hoping from your
post that it had improved

Don’t panic. While it is not what it used to be under the old management, you can still get a darn good sandwich and other foodstuffs…

1 Like

I will check it out again.
Was it you who recommended the re opened Oriental Palace
also in Chester Heights and have you been to Elia Taverna
a few doors down from J &G?