Moisture ruining salad mixes in large plastic containers

We eat a lot of salads and prefer the 50/50 salad mix we get at our local Ralph’s (Kroeger) market over those from a much closer Albertson’s location because the Albertson’s product seems to develop way too much moisture way too quickly in the refrigerator. Lately the Ralph’s product has been doing the same thing. I try to pick the driest looking container but the last two have lasted maybe 4 days before the red lettuce starts to get slimy, which then ruins all of it quickly. This is getting pretty annoying.

I don’t want to have to go to the trouble of taking all the lettuce out and ‘wrapping’ it in paper towels (assuming that might help). Another idea is to just buy the lettuces separately and make our own mix as we go, but the mix is significantly less costly.

Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

1 Like

We go through several of those tubs a week, between us and the house bunnies; you’d think we’d eat them fast enough that they wouldn’t get slimy, but they do.

We switched from the 50/50 mix to the Spring Mix (I think that’s what it’s called) as that seems to last longer before the sliminess ensues. My mother swears that fully opening the clamshell and using your hands to “fluff up” the contents, then flipping the tub upside down to store it, helps.

I have no idea if she’s right.

Photo is of Wee Willie, who’s thrown a toy into the salad bowl.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. We go through one tub every 4-5 days, so we may actually be having more luck than you. My wife prefers 50/50 and the longevity had been just fine from Ralph’s until the last week or two. The upside down flip is something to try, but I’m wondering if there’s a more ‘scientific’ idea.

It occurs to me that lots of bagged veg products come with air holes in them and I’m wondering if the lack of that in this packaging is part of the problem. I may try some holes, flipping, and maybe some paper towels skid inside if that would absorb moisture.

2 Likes

Some Googling suggests that holes in the container is not a good idea, that the container needs to be sealed tightly. My thought is that tight makes sense so long as the moisture doesn’t accumulate, so I’m hoping that the paper towels may help with that.

Otherwise I need help from some science teachers, chefs or caterers … or whomever has this down. ;o))

I’m thinking, too, that this could be highly affected by how the product is stored PRIOR to purchase. That would at least seem to explain why performance is so varied and erratic. If so, it’s just gonna be hit and miss.

1 Like

Wait. The prepackaged stuff is CHEAPER than making your own?

I haven’t taken it to an Excel spread sheet, but it seems like buying several different kinds of greens (there seem to be 5+ in this mix) would A) cost more than the $5 I pay for the large tub, and B) probably give me more salad than we’d go through in a reasonable time… unless I can find a way to keep it fresh. There’s also a space issue with more, and a convenience issue as well. At least, though, doing my own I’d be in control of the ‘provenance’ issue.

The problem might be not so much the moisture content of the produce when packaged, but condensation from temperature fluctuations between purchase and putting it in your fridge. Either way: open it, put a paper towel over the greens, close, flip, repeat. After a few hours of chilling, remove the top towel and discard it.

1 Like

Worth a try. Just got a new one this evening. Except what I’ve been seeing on line says leave the paper towel on top all the time. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Those tubs are somehow worse than the bags.
First be careful where in the fridge you keep it, too cold will make it slime more quickly. I’ve been successful with removing the greens, putting in some paper towels, then greens on top , and removing the damp towels the next day.
If your market sells the mixed greens in"bulk" where you measure your own into a bag that’s another option- i’ve never kept beyond 2-3 days though.

1 Like