mishmish - Montclair

We had another great dinner at mishmish Cafe, a small Mediterranean cafe in Montclair, owned by Chef Meny, who is a two time Chopped Champion. We started off sharing a few appetizers of excellent crispy fried cauliflower, charred shishito peppers, mushrooms & ricotta, and duck confit tacos on pita bread which included slow cured and steamed Jurgielewicz Farm pulled duck, salsa verde, & pickled onions.

For entrees Mrs’ P had the grilled whole branzino stuffed with garlic, sage, & lemon, with asparagus, tapenade, and crispy sweet potato fries.

I had a nice special of Lamb ragout stuffed cabbage in a rich Mediterranean mole sauce.
stuffed%20cabbage%202

5 Likes

Nice ones! I love stuffed cabbage!

Thanks cj. I haven’t had stuffed cabbage in a while. This was an elevated version with lamb raghu and a nice rich Mediterranean mole.
They also had whole branzino :wink:

I might have to start a stuffed cabbage thread. I can honestly say I’ve never ordered them out. My family makes them and I do too, so it’s something I never get out and rarely even run into. It’s the Russian side of my family and the recipe has been passed down. We use all beef and leftover ham shank to flavor… no lamb. I’d love to try some lamb renditions.

3 Likes

We had dinner at the beautifully newly renovated MishMish cafe tonight. We shared several appetIzers of grilled Spanish octopus with parsnip puree, warm marinated chickpeas, almonds, oranges, and grapefruit.
We also had crispy fried fish tacos with pickled onions, harissa aioli, and sour pickles. Our last appetizer was a grilled halloumi salad with Jersey tomatoes, fresh basil pesto, pistachios, and greens.
For entrees Mrs. P had an excellent crispy branzino with olives, tomatoes, and fingerling potatoes. I had a grass fed chargrilled cheeseburger with caramelized onions, 3 cheese blend, harissa mayo and fries.

8 Likes

Yes :+1::+1::+1: Montclair is doable :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you like Turkish/Mediterranean food I would also recommend Zeugma Grill in Montclair. MishMIsh just recently reopened after a 2 month renovation and Chef Meny is still tinkering with the menu. He has to add more entrees.

2 Likes

Love it, thank you

1 Like