Misfits Market: ugly produce online

Very possible. But if they want to keep subscribers…

MM has to realize customers will compare with one another. Photos tell the story.:wink:

1 Like

It states this on the website " Weight of box may vary based on type of produce & season!"

Oh my, I really am having a hard time conveying my point tonight.

I am not referring to the weight of the physical box.
Our MM box, every two weeks is supposed to contain 10-12 lbs of produce at the subscriber price. It did not.
MM places the weight range on the price. The packaging and produce quality was fine, the weight was off. The amount of physical produce in my picture shipped to NJ and the photo Tthrockwood shared from NYC for the same price are not the same. Subscribers do get a discount on the price but does a discount mean we get less produce?

1 Like

They say it takes approx 5 business days to process the order, then you let them know your preferred day for delivery (no guarantee as I understand) , i chose wed as my preferred day and that’s when it came.
They sent a confirmation of shipping email day before with tracking info to me

Sorry, I’m confused :thinking: Was it significantly less, was it off by a carrot or more like 4 or 5 potatoes?

I posted photos above. When I weighed the produce on the kitchen scale it weighed just above 7 lbs total

1 Like

Unless everyone weighs their net contents and posts the total, claims about discrepancies are largely speculative. My next box is Tuesday. I’ll get out my scale.

2 Likes

We had the same communications for a Tues delivery. As a matter of fact, UPS emailed me four times and MM twice over last Tues delivery. With all that great communication I thought I had to be home to sign for it which was not the case.

When my Tues del arrives next week I will do the same again. But I think all the photos posted here are decent visuals. We know a loose bunch of lettuce weighs less than a few apples.

I would email them this link

I’ve seen comments on their fb page about this, so it’s probably helpful to track what’s coming and the weight…

MM says it’s a combination of weight and price of included produce - ie more expensive produce => less total weight, which makes sense. For eg, I wouldn’t expect the same total weight if the proportion of more expensive produce is higher than “usual” for them.

Thanks everyone for posting pics - it’s helpful to see how the boxes vary.

1 Like

There is a point. This is remainder produce after all. The price is advertised 10-12 lbs for a small box at $19 a week. I don’t mind not knowing exactly what I’m receiving or that the produce may be “ugly” although that has yet to be the case. I do expect to receive the 10-12 lbs for the priced paid. If that becomes a regular shortage in my case I will reconsider.

1 Like

Makes sense!

Update: I finally got an answer, yesterday at 11PM (so basically today). So eleven business days before I wanted it, I asked if five business days was enough, and four business days (over a week later!) before I wanted it, they told me to allow seven business days. Too late! (And what would I do with celery root, anyway?)

Got the first box today, the entire package weighed on at 12.4 lbs. No ice pack just insulated brown paper. The box and paper sans veggies weighed in at 2.4 lbs.

Got green beans for 2, 4 avocados, 4 oranges, 2 zucchini and green peppers, 2 celery roots (puree perhaps?) 2 beets and a head of iceberg. Also a bunch of spinach that looks a little punk but will work in a quiche or salad just fine.

Not sure it is what I would get for $19.00 at Market Basket or the farm stand but
I will probably try a couple more boxes before deciding to keep or not.

Since it’s all organic, I doubt MB could beat the price. I don’t recall ever seeing organic produce at less than $2/#, and double that is more likely. I’ve never tried celeriac because I balk at paying more per pound for plant material than animal-derived ingredients.

1 Like

True, maybe that’s why I don’t typically buy organic. But will it give it all a try, including the celery root and see how it goes.

Nice!! Thanks for sharing your delivery.

Even non-organic is higher than that for most things around me (exceptions might be potatoes).

1 Like

Today’s Mischief box: turnip, kale, spinach, acorn squash, smallish eggplant, huge navel orange, large bunch parsley, 4 apples, 2 sweet potatoes, 2 bell peppers. The kale and spinach will need refreshing and one of the potatoes has been sliced, but the rest is pristine. I didn’t dig out my scale but guesstimate that including packaging it’s not more than 10#.