Misfits Market: ugly produce online

We cxld our MM subscription. Just an fyi, cxl’ing service online thru your acct only places your acct in inactive mode unless you formally request they remove all your contact and auto billing info.

We decided to use a diff approach to buy produce.

1 Like

Here’s one problem: the uses one has for one smallish eggplant, or one turnip, or a small bunch of kale, are limited. One would probably prefer just a reasonable-sized eggplant, or a couple of turnips, or a decent bunch of kale. I think one has to be a pretty experienced or creative cook to take advantage of these packages.

For small root veg or squash, I just do a mixed pan roast, which can also accommodate the eggplant. Since I cook only for me, it is often preferable to have a small size. With this particular assortment, it’s the parsley that’s the challenge, since I dislike tabbouleh, and have never used a lot of parsley.

4 Likes

On the other hand, Jews are probably thrilled to get the parsley just in time for Passover. But this is another example of how letting someone else choose your produce is iffy at best.

1 Like

Parsley is nice juiced with other things - makes the juice kind of creamy. I use it in my spring tonic soup with lots of alliums. You could make a compound butter with it and freeze.

I don’t think I could purchase this assortment as conventional in my area for less. Celery root is quite expensive in my markets, let alone organic. Conventional avocados tend to be about $1 each unless you catch a good sale. This time of year bell peppers can be over $1.50/each. I’d be pleased with this assortment of organic for the price!

4 Likes

As a point of comparison to the Misfits Market packages, I thought I would look at what I bought this week and what I paid. This was a good week to do this, because I was buying a lot of produce for Passover. Note 1: Most of this is not organic. Note 2: I did not buy anything in the two produce stores near me, where they might have been cheaper.

First stop was Livoti’s, where I bought over 9 pounds of produce for $8.92:

Red Potatoes (5 lb)
Cauliflower (head) (2 lb)
Baby carrots (1 lb)
Summer squash (11 oz)
Lemon (5 oz)
Scallions (4 oz)

Next I got some more at Shoprite where I bought about 3.5 pounds of produce for $6.03:

Asparagus (2 lb)
Kirbys (for pickles) (6 oz)
Parsley (organic) (4 oz)
Radishes (organic) (12 oz)

I will finish up with a one-pound package of Earthbound Farm Organic Spring Mix at Costco for $4.49. (Only during Passover, when we’re eating home all the time, do we have a chance of finishing this before it starts to go bad–the red lettuce seems to be the culprit.)

So my total will be $19.44, or about what the smaller package costs before shipping, and I got 13 pounds of produce. The downside (for some) is that a lot is non-organic. The upside is that I got precisely what I needed/wanted. For Passover particularly, I have to buy potatoes, and parsley, and enough of one vegetable for seven people. And I really don’t want two large celery roots that I have no idea what to do with. The rest of the year, my needs are more flexible, but we don’t eat nearly as much food at home.

Your mileage will undoubtedly vary.

4 Likes

That is probably comparable to what I would get at Market Basket and/or BJ’s. Organic is not a deal breaker for us.
We do enjoy trying/cooking new things or out of our routine though which is why these kinds of programs work for us.
My husband made a great russe salad from the NYT cookbook using the celery root and beets (potatoes, turnips and carrots) as well as a spinach and bacon and Gruyere quiche.
The iceberg was a great wedge with the quiche. We’ll do a couple more and see how it goes.

2 Likes

You could do pesto with the parsley- or do half basil and half parsley if you don’t want all parsley pesto.

1 Like

I’m all ears about your different approach to produce. Can you elaborate? I just signed up for a trial box. Figured $17 all in was worth it to see what the hub bub is about.

Our small box with subscription came to NJ for $23.50 total not $17.00. Has MM changed prices? We are 100% out of the delivery system.

We are garden sharing with neighbors instead. Buying in bulk from pick your own farms and sharing that and txting each other about produce deals, markets and fests.

Yesterday we hit up the pickle people at Bell Markets and shared the cost of the variety we bought.

3 Likes

Your purchases would add up to $37 near me for organic versions.

I do like the premise of Misfit - reducing produce waste, and the organic would be a plus for me, as I do buy organic for most (susceptible) items.

But as a relatively picky eater, I’ve long been wary of having choice removed. The waste reduction premise combined with organic produce is what’s getting me close to the line despite that.

3 Likes

CSAs and services like MM are not for unadventurous palates or uninventive cooks. My small eggplant got mandolined into very thin slices, alternating with no-boil noodles in a loaf pan lasagna. It’s yummy, and just three portions, which is fine since I cook for one. A 9x13 pan means having to freeze portions, which weep and lose texture when thawed and reheated. I assume I’ll be giving away SOME produce, like hot peppers if they appear, but think the overall savings and quality more than make up for occasional unwanted pieces.

4 Likes

I should have clarified. I had a 25% off coupon for my first box so it ended up at $17 for the first box.

I love the idea of sharing with neighbors. Such a great idea. By the way, I’m not sure exactly where you are but there is an awesome pick your own organic blueberry farm that I have been to several times. It is about 45 minutes from me.

http://www.earthfriendlyorganicfarm.com/

1 Like

Discount, makes sense.
One of our neighbors is affiliated with the Rutgers Cooperative and put the sharing idea in motion. We all share diff shopping trips. Thanks for the link!

2 Likes

Well, unfortunately this isn’t going to work for me… no fault of Misfit but i have a hard time receiving packages and FedEx said they had delivered it yet had not and the whole thing turned into a big pain in my ass with multiple calls to FedEx- who knows where my box is.
Misfits was great when i emailed about what happened, it did take two days for a reply but they refunded the cost and the shipping.
I might see if i can have it sent to my friend’s place since she’s in a doorman building, and I’m looking into CSA pickup locations too

2 Likes

Second box came today. Much heavier than the 1st. I did not weigh it though.
A mango, oranges, apples, kale, potatoes, broccoli, pea pods, carrots, parsnips
tomatoes, all good things.

6 Likes

Question for you. What is that thing in front of the peapods? I got two in my box this week and can’t tell what it is!

Thanks

I think its some sort of beet, but have not cut into it yet. Were yours the same size
or smaller?

1 Like

Looks like a beet to me, too. Roast it whole or diced, or shred it raw and make a slaw including cabbage, apple, and sweet onion, with cider vinegar and spices.

1 Like