"Minimal mess" dishes?

I stopped using potato a long time ago (when I was trying to eat lower carb for a stretch) and I actually enjoy my soups much more without now (I can taste the potato when it’s there). Takes more of the single vegetable, though, to get the same thickness.

As for creaminess, I stir in (whole) milk before serving. Or coconut milk towards the end of cooking. Or (soaked) cashews while blending, which also helps make the soup more filling, especially if it’s the whole meal.

I know some people use white beans as the bulk/creamy/“secret” ingredient, but - as with potatoes - I can taste the beans, so unless I actually want bean soup, I don’t add beans.

2 Likes

I have to confess that I use butter and cream with gay abandon. Abandon the operative word.

2 Likes

Minimal mess to me sounds like minimal ingredients/prep. But, special occasion means something nice. Combining the two, I would probably go for nicer ingredients prepared simply. So a lovely fish poached, or en papillote for instance. Or quality steaks grilled and served with one of those sinful french sauces. And some greens/asparagus on the side.

2 Likes

I love my butter :heart_eyes: (not fat phobic in the least - did I imply that?)

But I’m newer to cream… it’s not often in my fridge, and I have to find ways to use it up when it is.

1 Like

Sorry! I didn’t realize it was a 2 yr old thread, and now we are talking about cacio e pepe!

1 Like

(Psst…Saregama, have you tried heavy whipping cream on your morning oatmeal? With a modest dash of sea salt? What a start to a morning! And who can resist when Grocery Outlet has both organic and regular WC at amazing prices.)

2 Likes

I could get behind this if you also add a pat of cultured butter…and maybe some Aleppo chili

1 Like

100% agreement! What’s not to like about either…or both.

1 Like

So… I dislike oatmeal in porridge form (texture and flavor both).

But… since you mention it… masala oatmeal and oatmeal as poha (in place of beaten rice) are delish! Quaker Oats invaded India at some point, lol.

1 Like

Not sure what that means, but with my in-laws, porridge means sweet. Usually hominy and CON-densed milk. Emphasis on “con”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think a savory “porridge” might have promise.

1 Like

I was brought up “sugar free”. Cannot abide sweet cereal. Give me oatmeal with a sprinkle of salt, splash of cream and I purr. Same with Cream of Rice or corn meal mush. Cracked pepper never hurts. Plop a runny egg on top if you’re feeling wild. Savory all the way!

2 Likes

Okay! Reminds me that my dad, born circa 1913 in Alabama (seemed he wasn’t sure. No birth record), drank hot cereal for breakfast on his way to work in NYC. “Grits”, farina, Cream of Wheat. But with butter, pepper . Nothing sweet.

4 Likes

Man of taste!

1 Like

Yup! Grits - butter, pepper, salt. Like with corn bread, sugar has no business anywhere near!

4 Likes

Porridge includes what’s usually called oatmeal in America, but is also commonly used just to mean oatmeal.

1 Like

Porridge means Goldilocks & the 3 Bears :bear: ‘round these parts .

2 Likes

I choose savory breakfast over sweet 95% of the time.

4 Likes

I choose to stay in bed!

4 Likes

@Sasha As the original poster, I love that this thread still has some shelf-life and have been reading along avidly. Especially since I still haven’t tried my hand at the cacio e pepe but might try it in the comfort of my own home.

That’s one thing that is so great about this forum – conversations are allowed to grow organically, unlike other venues.

1 Like

Sheet pan recipes tend to have the easiest clean up for me. In our house, we have fajitas quite frequently. This was always a mess with multiple pans, grease splatter everywhere, etc. Found a fajita sheet pan recipe online where I just throw in the chicken or beef strips with peppers, onions, and seasonings, and voila, a 20 minutes later it is done and the mess contained.

Was it as good as stove-top? No, but barely so. Still tweaking it.

4 Likes