Milk Street magazine

I have never been a fan of Cooks Illustrated - too OCD and fussy for me. I recently picked up a copy (July-August 2017) of Christopher Kimball’s new magazine, Milk Street, and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it. It’s doesn’t just list recipes but talks about the context of the recipes, including Piri Piri Chicken in Capetown, ceviche in Peru, and Beef Suya in Nigeria, with lots of color pictures. I haven’t tried any of the recipes and probably won’t end up subscribing, but it’s fun learning about some new foods. It very vaguely reminds me of the old Saveur which I still miss tremendously.

2 Likes

It must’ve changed significantly since the first issue. That first issue looked to me almost exactly like cooks illustrated

1 Like

We have given Milk Street a chance by charter subscribing for a year. Chris Kimball had said the new Milk Street would be more international in scope. So far we have enjoyed the content.
I believe you can now visit Milk Street studios in Boston as well…

1 Like

I was not a fan of Cooks Illustrated either, but I did not like the issue of Milk Street. Like Gourmanda says, it was just more of the same.

2 Likes

Agreed - I read the first freebie and that was it. I do still subscribe to Cook’s Illustrated online, but that’s mainly for access to the online archive.

As for Saveur, it is still around and IMO hasn’t changed much over the years. The recipes are not reliable, but I love the articles. Perhaps you are thinking of Gourmet, which went the way of the dinosaur in 2009? I really miss it - they replaced my subscription with Bon Appetit, which doesn’t even come close. Both BA and especially Food and Wine are pretty much worthless these days - just pages of advertisements interspersed with advertisements disguised as travel articles.

3 Likes

I so agree! Especially BA- it’s worthless! I get both and this is the last subscription, unless something drastically changes.

I’m not thinking of Gourmet, which I subscribed to for years and still miss a lot. Saveur was a cooler version of Gourmet, and it was great until they got rid of Colman Andrews. Then it, IMO, became as vapid and uninteresting as Bon Appetit and others. As long as we’re remembering dead magazines, I also mourn the more recent loss of Lucky Peach, which was, if nothing else, always entertaining.

1 Like

Ah - I just googled, and it looks like I started reading Saveur after Colman Andrews left (2006), so I haven’t noticed any changes. I still like it much more than Bon Appetit or Food and Wine, but the loss of Gourmet has really left a hole.

1 Like

Gourmet was the mother load, for sure, as well as a fine lifestyles magazine. Still subscribe to Saveur and enjoy it…

1 Like