Microplane - There Must Be Something Better

Thanks for that, the one with the large crevices look like they would be good for parm. I wish there was a place I could test this to see if it’s worth it… I’m following a semi strict “no new gadgets that aren’t totally worth it” policy.

Do you think there is a significant and material difference between parm that comes out of the microplane(s) vs traditional grating/food processor?

When it’s for cooking, I use my microplane, I use less energy to grind, it’s very light and fluffy in texture. When parmesan is to be sparkled for finishing a dish, I prefer the traditional grating, it’s comparatively larger grains, therefore more tasty. I like to use mine to grind ginger, lemon zests.

Thanks for the info, I’m in exactly the same boat as you. I prefer the coarse irregular chunks from regular grating/food processor.

I threw out the regular box grater years ago because it was taking up too much room. The Microplane fits easily in the drawer and is super simple to clean. If I want really large shards of Parmesan I use a vegetable peeler.

Then there is this plane which is useful for transporting very large wheels of cheese:

And a small personnel carrier to deliver the cheese wheels in:

1 Like

Here is a picture of the Kuhn Rikon box mandoline used to grate carrots:

And a picture with a hand to show size:

It’s actually about the same size as a standard box grater and comes with a nifty cup to catch what you are grating.

I saw this in a local store today. I have no idea if it’s any good or not. Kuhn Rikon products are not of the same quality since they have started to be produced outside Switzerland.
https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-20011-Ratchet-Grater/dp/B00IEOHQV0?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00IEOHQV0

1 Like

Here is another plane:

It’s electric powered so no arm strain, but you have to wear safety goggles.

Looks good. I’ll put it on my wish list!

1 Like

Interesting discussion on microplanes. We have a few too. Responding to the original photo, a larger bowl might have been the easiest way to get a firmer hold and prevent scatter. When I microplane parm, chocolate or nutmeg I work in a deep large bowl and the transfer to a smaller one of use immediately. Its worth the small amount of cleanup vs. wasting ingredients.

We dont put any sharp tools in the dishwasher just a quick clean in warm soapy water and quick dry on kitchen towel.

Micoplanes are super handy.

Agree not to put microplane in the washing machine. I did it, and you can see the imitation metal plastic part near the handle peeling. With the price they are selling, it should be in metal or food safe material, but not with a paint coating that can accidentally drop in the food.

1 Like

Now I see a lot of Microplane looks-alike, I bet they all work pretty well. In fact, my first one is a look alike.

The original Mouli

https://www.etsy.com/listing/553514010/mouli-grater-made-in-france?gpla=1&gao=1&utm_campaign=shopping_us_BeauliesLostandFound_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=6199611&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuZXQBRDKARIsAMwpUeTo9U8rmFXqaJX04fSZlDetXx8mnUl6RmhYMxoIxkICWQfWWPyrIVcaArNrEALw_wcB