Microplane - There Must Be Something Better

Early on, Martha Stewart said she used one from a hardware store.

1 Like

Nice. I think stories like this just to show that sometime there is already a great tool around the corner and we just need to expand our imagination a little.

That won’t fit in my drawer of misfit kitchen toys.

1 Like

Keep mine on a shelf with other graters

You have a grater shelf? That is so cool, and now I want one.

The only thing I use my microplane for any more is zesting. I actually have a strong dislike for parmesan that comes out of these microplanes, they are way too fine and lose all their character. I like parm to have larger crystals like out of more traditional graters, I think it makes a huge difference in the experience to have some crystals in tact.

I personally just take chunks of parm and throw it in a food processor.

1 Like

I had a friend who is a pastry chef (since moved away) and would shop art supply stores for off set spatulas and various tools for decorations and making /painting molded chocolates.

1 Like

I went to Microplane’s website. There are three categories, kitchen, personal, woodworking

1 Like

Based on my experiences with microplanes, if you are not satisfied with the results, you are using the wrong model.

1 Like

I know. The personal one is most interesting…
Using Microplane to file your feet…

What is the right model?

There are 9 different food models. Check microplanes website, or better yet, visit a store and look at the sleeves.

If you don’t like the citrus zester for hard cheese, perhaps one of the 4 models designed for cheese.

1 Like

The right model is the model you use for your feet.

1 Like

Ok so which of the many models is the right model? I’m not following you.

Have you tried the Microplane meant for Parmesan and other hard cheese?

Plus, we never put plastics in the dishwasher. That’s basically showering your dishes and utensils in plastic chemical-laden water. (Same goes for microwaving food in even “microwave-safe” plastics. Safe my a$$.)

Hey, how about this plane:

Don’t forget the fresh herbs.

1 Like

No, I’m really curious as to how it comes out. How’s it differ from regular graters and the standard microplane? Thicker/wider slivers?

We have three: fine for zest and garlic; ribbon for soft cheese, zucchini, onion, chocolate; coarse for hard cheese, carrots, garlic. The coarse gives fairly long shreds of Parmesan and grates even the hardest wedge pretty easily and without a lot of pressure. Has a good surface area as well. All of that said, I think it’s best to replace them (5? 8? Years?)

1 Like

Then there is this plane:

Works well with really large pieces of cheese.