Microgreens

Despite living in a farming region, our farmer’s markets suck. Limited variety of produce and very over priced.

I’d like to try growing my own microgreens. Anyone do this currently and have any tips?

Looking forward to replies. Do you intend to grow in a container or the ground?

A container indoors.

I’m also eager to see replies. I’ve considered growing microgreens in my raised bed herb garden.

A brilliant idea that I didn’t think of. Microgreens are overpriced here too, and I barely get to use them before the big box goes bad. I have two cats, so growing them indoors would not be an option unless my plan includes feeding them salads as part of their diets, but I do have a small yard and a few plastic planters might be perfect for this.

1 Like

I have regular herbs in among perennials in the 30’+ planter across the back of my patio. I wonder if micros would flourish in there also.

You can grow small amounts by cutting the core end off your heads of lettuce and other greens, then submerging the bottoms (only) in jars of water, by sticking toothpicks into them to allow you to prop them up at the rim of the jar/glass. Just leave these on the windowsill and change the water daily. You can also grow greens from radishes, carrots, and other root vegetables by the same method, stem end up. Mostly it works, and it’s free.

1 Like

I failed miserably many times at the grow sprouts in a mason jar method, but then had something like this gizmo for many years and loved it! The trays stack on each other and you can grow any kind of sprouts or microgreens you want. (My own tray died in a moving accident) the stacked trays let everything drain well and are serious low effort- but brace yourself because it grows a ton!
This site also has a huge selection of seeds

1 Like

They suggested that microgreens would wreck the sproutmaster but there are a lot of good seeds for sale on that site. Thanks for posting!

Oh geez, i guess I didn’t read that closely enough! The site must have a microgreen growing contraption of some sort…

This is interesting- what types of lettuce cores have you tried this with?

Yes,they did have some other containers now that I had a chance to surf the site. I going to have to look at the growing methods a little more before I select some containers.

Leaf and others. Don’t buy greens you wouldn’t be getting in the first place. Then just try growing them and see what happens. You have nothing to lose. You can use just what sprouts, or try platting the core when it develops a good number of roots. Don’t ask me how many - I have a black thumb so I haven’t tried planting them.

1 Like

That should be “planting”, not “platting”. I should have mentioned that I shave the thinnest possible layer from the bottom of the core before putting it into water, like making a fresh cut on the stems in a floral bouquet. I don’t know if this is necessary, but it’s the only way I’ve tried.

1 Like

I thought that I’d update you guys:

I found a micro greens growing kit and seeds locally and started growing them. The one thing I noted right away is these can start getting mold on them very quickly, as in when they aren’t fully mature. So, one must really be careful with controlling the humidity in the mini “green house” chamber.

Sadly, I never got to see the results of my greens- my stupid cat decided to knock the containers off the table!

The recommended growing medium is vermiculite, which meant that everything just fell apart when it hit the floor. Boo!

I will be working on my next attempt as soon as I decide on a better spot for everything.

Interesting! Thanks for the update. Your cats did exactly what I would fear. :unamused:

Good to know about the mold. I really have limited time to babysit any plants, so it makes me wonder if it’s going to be worth it for me.

1 Like