MEXICO CITY – September & October 2023 – Extremely Long Post

Finally reporting back on my two trips to CDMX, a month apart. First time with my sister, the second with four friends. Both trips were fantastic in their own right, but my sister and I had the misfortune of eating a bad taco (we new better but did it anyway) near the end of the trip that made us both quite ill, and left me sick and on meds until 3 days before my 2nd trip. I will never not eat street tacos, but I will be much more careful next time!

Since it’s been so long, a lot of the details aren’t what they could be, but I did my best. Each trip was 5 days long, and we ate 99% seafood on both, sharing everything with either my sister or my friends (two couples.) The order of things is a little out of whack too; on the first leg, the pics are in reverse order.

First Trip in September
Street taco carnitas

Chile en nogada – a specialty that is in season here in September – October, as that is when the walnuts are fresh. First time trying this, and it was delightful. Slightly sweet (there’s dried fruit in the filling) and rich, yet delicate.

Fish tacos at an outdoor bar we loved, Traspatio:

Campechano tacos (street food again) (and I did not post the pic of the taco that did us in! oh yes, we know exactly which one it was.)

At El Tigre Silencioso, a fun bar/restaurant with campy, whimsical, but delicious dishes:
Ramen noodles with shrimp, bacon, and parmesan.

Smoked trout over herbed cream cheese on brioche toast. TO. DIE. FOR.

Patè of smoked marlin and Ritz crackers

Tuna, hazelnut butter, avocado, and wakame

Another street campechano

Lamb birria street tacos with consome. Heaven.

At Merotoro, a restaurant recommended by friends who live there. Very good!
Ceviche de pescado, jaiba, aguacate y cilantro. Sooo good and fresh! The jaiba was crispy and fatty yumminess!

Beef and beef marrow risotto… Maybe the best risotto of my life. Rich and red winey. One of the best bites of the trip.

Grilled fish of the day wrapped in fennel (or so said the menu – I think it was kale or something similar), with charred onions, fresh favas and peas, carrots, in a green sauteed veggie broth.

Pink peppercorn ice cream, with a warm macadamia tart.

At Café Tacobar, an upscale taqueria:
Chilorio de cerdo medieval zacatecano. Fricken delish.

Costilla chingona de res que no sufrió tanto. Ay mami.

Taco de atun from a restaurant whose name I can’t remember…

Scallop ceviche

At Contramar! My sister and I ate here in 2017, had to come back.
Taco de atun (we should have ordered more of these here! they are the best.)

Scallops and fish tostada

Jaiba (crab) with eggs and potatoes (so good, so very rich!)

Pulpo a la Gallega

Aguachile de camarones

I think I’m missing a couple meals, but we ate a lot less than I did with my friends, just because of the numbers…

SECOND TRIP IN OCTOBER
Took my friends back to Traspatio for cocktails and snacks:

At Contramar’s sister restaurant, Entremar:
Clams

Fish tacos

Pulpo ala brasa

Crab taquitos

Shrimp in a spicy sauce tacos (I don’t even know anymore)

Huevos y papas

At Mi Compa Chava in Coyoacan, after the Frida Kahlo Museum.
I can’t remember what kind of tacos they were, but seafood of some sort:

Oysters

Clams and pulpo ceviche

The most obscenely fat scallops I’ve ever had. super meaty and delicious. but obscene.

Coctel de mariscos con soya

Another tostada de atun, of course

Smoked fish birria taco. Amazing and memorable!

And of course, cocteles, everywhere we went. We went to a lot of high-end bars, as my friend had recommendations from her Barcelona bartender buddies.

We did a private mezcal tasting one night…

Fun, super informative, delicious. Five bottles came home with us. As did this:

Back to the food.
Carnitas taco at Mercado Medellin

Tasting menu at Esquina Comun, without a doubt the best meal of both trips.
I can’t remember what this was but it was fantastic. Some kind of braised beef thing.

Fish guisado tostada, olives, capers, chile güero mayo, avo powder

Lentils, paprika, calamari chicharrón, carrot, radish. So seemingly rustic, but SOFA KING GOOD.

Mole manchamanteles, pork and plantain molotes, sweet potato

Creamy rice dish fresh hominy, other beans and beef stew. Another seemingly just homey kind of dish, but outstanding.

Heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes with a fantastic kefir and cilantro dressing and cashew and pumpkin puree. So fricken good!

At El Hidalguense, a famed, primarily breakfast/lunch place known for their barbacoa (lamb)
Tacos de barbacoa – scrumptious!

Chilaquiles

Queso asado a la Milpa (like an incredibly creamy, grilled quesadilla with corn but amaaaayzing)

Escamoles (ant larvae)! Buttery, a little funky, very tasty. Like very soft, sweet buttery corn kernels.

Pulque tasting:

Azul Historico – my second visit here – had to do it. Swoonily beautiful restaurant in the courtyard of a hotel in the Centro Historico.

Pan de Muerte to start:

Tortillas hecho a mano, tres colores. We had two orders.

Guac

Camarón enchipotlado. Deliciously garlicky with a dried pepper seasoning.

Salad – lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, cheese

I’d dreamed about having these again one day… Buñuelos de pato con mole negro.

Mezcal (which, by the way, we drank throughout. I don’t think tequila ever touched my lips.)

Last dinner, at Huset – another stunningly gorgeous place we stumbled upon, and 2nd best meal of the trip.

Phenomenally good flatbread with avocado, cilantro, and a jalapeño emulsión. It may not look like much,but OMG OMG OMG.

Salmon tartare on crispy rice cake with roe. HOLY CRAP, SOFA KING GOOD.

Very parmigian-y focaccia with herby something. So light!

Peaches, tomato, basil salad. Very good, tho the peaches were under-ripe. The only slight disappointment of the meal.

Gnocchi in a lemony cream sauce. Lovely.

Succulent, perfectly cooked bacon-wrapped shrimp

Salmon tartar mixto with totopes

Robala (seabass) and camote puree. Good but probably the least interesting dish.

Toasted brioche pudding with miel and ashy goat cheese. TO DIE FOR.

Plantain whisky toffee crumble mushy yum.

Our last meal, morning of our flight. El Pez Azul, another random spot, with maybe the best mezcalitas of the entire trip.

Made with mezcal tobalá – more delicious than the ubiquitous espadin.

Cóctel de pescado mixto

Pulpo

Guac

“Empanada” de camarón

Taco “Gober” - tortilla de harina, frijoles, camarones ala plancha, chile poblano, queso gouda, aguacate y cebolla

Taco atún a la plancha. My favorite!

If you’ve stuck with me this far, bravo, and thank you!

We did more than eat and drink of course, but this city is so rich with delicious food everywhere you turn. We’ll all be back.

If anyone has questions about anything specific, hit me up!

19 Likes

Dang! Epic!

2 Likes

Bummer about the food poisoning but TY for a wonderful report

1 Like

Wow, thanks so much for this post. Mr. travelmad478 and I are headed to Mexico City in January (plus a bunch of colonial towns to the NW). We haven’t booked anything but flights yet—this is giving me tons of ideas. What neighborhood(s) would you recommend to stay in and eat in?

2 Likes

So much delicious food and drink! y’all ate like champs( as usual)

2 Likes

my favorite neighborhoods to stay in are Roma Norte, Roma Sur, Condesa, and Hipodromo, and almost all the restaurants we went to were in or nearish those areas. I think maybe one was in Polanco (a richer area, I believe. I have also stayed in an airbnb in the historic center, which was fun.

but in particular, i absolutely ADORED the apt. my sister and I had in September. if you want to message me, i can share send you the airbnb link if you’d like. it was beautiful, so comfortable, very inexpensive, great location, and perfect for 2 people (although i think it actually sleeps 3.)

3 Likes

The long wait was worth it - a truly epic report!! So glad to have you back. Loved every minute of this, thank you!

1 Like

Well done, senorita.

Well done. :clap:

1 Like

Epic indeed, I salivated over every photo. Thanks again for sharing.

3 Likes

The pulpo at El Pez Azul looks suspiciously Galician :sunglasses:

Nevertheless, all of those foods are welcome in me gullet.

Do you recall tasting any orange juice in the chilorio?

1 Like

Yeah, there were at least two places where we had Galician-style pulpo in Mexico City.
No i honestly don’t remember at this point… but I didn’t know orange juice was a typical ingredient in chilorio…