Mexican Food in Monmouth County

Tried ordering takeout Friday and Saturday both times around 6-6:30. Friday night they said kitchen wasn’t taking any more orders and Saturday the kitchen was backed up for 1.5 hours and they said to call back later. So the initial response seems to be pretty good. I do think they are doing some sort of “soft opening” so they don’t have enough food/staff to fully accommodate everyone right now.

1 Like

As for me, (Lino’s) now Tino’s is the best barbecue

2 Likes

You all got any place that serves Birria tacos in your neck of the woods?
One of my favs birria tacos with that wonderful consomme.

You know @Foodhunter , I don’t think we do. I’ve eaten at many authentic Mexican restaurants in Red Bank and New Brunswick and I don’t think I’ve ever seen Birria on any menu.

Tino’s again today, but just the Trio (plus cactus). In the last month the Trio has gone from $15 to $16, and the Parilla from $25 to $27. Almost all the items have similarly gone up a dollar or two on the latest menu. The price increases since they changed names has been dramatic. I realize meat has gone up in price, and these are meat dishes, but I haven’t seen such steady increases at other places. (Admittedly, I have a very small sample space.)

2 Likes

When I saw the thoughtful to go presentation, I somehow sensed I was in for a treat.
Ordered from Galindos Kitchen for the first time. Everything was fresh and delicious. Look forward to sampling more from their menu.

12 Likes

New spot opening in Little Silver next to Carvel…not much more info unfortunately

3 Likes

Had takeout tonight from Mi Pueblo Querido in Long Branch.
Fried Tilapia and Molcajete. Very flavorful sauce/salsas and tasty chorizo. Satisfying meal that I would order again.

9 Likes

I had the urge today to eat something great. Perused Local Smoke menu and was going to get a platter as I have never eaten there. GF spur of the moment nail appt in Red Bank across from IMG made the choice easy.
Steak and Pastor tacos. Came with four salsas. Lighter red which brought the heat, darker red with smokey flavor, refreshing green, and some lighter color which seemed more like a dressing?
I had eaten their tacos before but never fresh. Delicious.

13 Likes

La Valentina tonight. Tostada Nachos and Nachos Asada, Pico de Gallo, Fried Tilapia. Some new, some old.

7 Likes

Drool! I miss La Valentina so much! You may have just bumped it up to one of the first post-vaccine places to dine (ooo–new topic!) I love their mole and during COVID, they made it only on weekends. Had delivery a few times…

1 Like

Not really in Monmouth Country, Tacos los Compas is just over the bridge in Brick, Ocean County. They advertise a trompo tacos, the spit required for traditional al Pastor which is unusual in our neighborhood so we decided to stop in. They did have the trompo.

Their menu is very limited - 12 kinds of tacos, a few flour tortilla-based items (quesadillas, gringas, etc) alambres, and a few beverages. We got the al Pastor (right) and Lengua (left). Both were very good though I do have a couple of quibbles - the tortillas were not homemade and I like my lengua a little crisper than how they serve it. But these are not enough to stop us from planning a return visit.

8 Likes

Those look great!

International Mexican Food on Shrewsbury Ave in Red Bank also does al pastor on a trompo.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I keep meaning to stop at IMG but haven’t. This may be the incentive I need. The al pastor was seasoned differently than what I’m used to and am wondering if it’s a trompo effect or just a different seasoning.

3 Likes

IMF is where we sat at the counter a zillion years ago, yes? If so, the food was delicious!!

2 Likes

That’s the place! That was a really fun night and great eating!

I love their yellow salsa and mix it with the green. The orange and red are ok too, but oh man, that yellow!!!

One caveat - Spanish is a must. My usual is “Una media kilo de al pastor con mucho salsa amarillo para llevar.” Comes with torillas, onions, and greens all bagged and tied up separately.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought…that WAS a fun night, but also insanely cold out, iirc! Next time we need to ‘crawl’ in better weather! :joy:

2 Likes

And piña (pineapple).

Great place, It’s actually International Mexican Grocery

2 Likes

That’s what I thought! IMG. I think it’s why I was confused. But @seal has a way of doing that…

1 Like

I don’t really speak Spanish but that much I should be able to handle. It’s when someone answers in Spanish, and at a normal cadence, that I get into trouble.

3 Likes