Mexican Food in Monmouth County

Thanks for the info. Do you think pickled jalapeno would work? I have some homemade ones.

After reading your post, we went to Tropico, but there were no parking spaces on the block so we went to Los Corrales, where we got Camarones a la Diabla and Mole de Pollo. The shrimp was definitely spicy, but the sauce lacked any subtle flavors. The mole, on the other hand, was excellent. The only problem was trying to cut bone-in chicken with a table knife. (Actually, another problem was that the dining room was too cold.)

We’ll try again for Tropico next time.

That’s funny that I went to los corrales and ended up at tropico and you did the exact opposite lol. Where do you park at Los corrales? I parked down the street and walked over to find out it was closed. Are their diablo shrimp in a vinegar based cayenne sauce (like a Frank’s red hot version?)…notb is like that.

Yes, vinegar based cayenne.

We usually park in front of one of the houses on the same side of Broad Street as Los Corrales (we turn left a block early and come around the block). I can’t remember ever having to park more than a couple of houses away.

That looks like the same deer that is on display at Tacos Madrigal in Lakewood. I was there the other day with The Sprout but didn’t think to take a picture. They do one of the best renditions of Tacos de Lengua.

https://tacosmadrigal.com/

2 Likes

Calling @seal and other RB folk. I’m suddenly having a 15 or so person pre-Thanksgiving get together at my place tonight. If I were to call ahead to IMG, how likely am I as a non-Spanish speaker to successfully order a half-kilo (is that the correct size for my group? we’ll also be taking in some pizza) of al pastor for a pick-up?

1 Like

A half-kilo is about one pound, which for fifteen people is about an ounce each. If everyone is eating it, that’s a bit skimpy.

@eleeper - Thanks!! This will be my first time placing such an order.

I am mildly panicking on your behalf reading this! :rofl: Have a great time!

I would go there and use google translator. Get the app. You can show them the phone after you speak into it. It will write it out in spanish. Phone ordering a take out order will be more difficult imo.

3 Likes

@jsfein So sorry. Just saw this. Dos kilos al pastor para llevar should do it for you. That’s minimum for 15 people.

1 Like

@seal and all others … muchas gracias!!

1 Like

Alright here is a quiz. Name this place. Some of you have been here but under a different name. That is all for now.

Well the food gods have been good to me on my last few outings.

Tonight we ordered the molcajete, devil shrimp, garlic shrimp and some wings (I just felt like some wings so what the hell.) The molcajete is not on the menu so keep that in mind.

What a beast this was! It may not look huge but let me tell you this thing is packed with meat. The top has some cheese, a little avocado, pepper, some blazing hot jalapeno (spicy) and onion. Underneath is a playground of piping hot assorted meat and shrimp from the heated stone. This was a really fun dining experience and my first time there under the new ownership.

@joonjoon I think you might be able to slaughter this thing but it would be tough and depend on how many tortillas you had.

I thought it was closed at first since there wasn’t a single table in this small place. By the time we left I think all were filled but one.

I rolled up with a nice bottle of tepache and it went really well with the dishes. I made it myself :sunglasses:

Getting my drink on…

8 Likes

The former Carlos O’Connor’s? Nothing else comes to mind.

Galindo’s in Long Branch.

We have a winner!

Good call Jeff. Have you been there?

Sadly, I have not been there. I could claim to have guessed due to my extensive knowledge of local Mexican cuisine but actually I can see the menu in this picture. It does look amazing.

1 Like

It looks like the old Ada’s space!

You’re on it…it is the former Ada’s.

1 Like

Took a stand against doing dishes today…and tomorrow…and maybe into Saturday! La Frontera North of the Border in Red Bank.

Nachos with Carnitas
Salad with Grilled Chicken
Mixed Grill Steak, Pork Chop, Chicken, Chorizo, Shrimp
Caldo de Camarones
All came with the fixings inc nice bright tasting green salsa, red salsa with a kick and flour/corn tortillas. A great deal at $47.

10 Likes