MEXICAN EVERYDAY and MORE MEXICAN EVERYDAY - January 2023 COTM

CHIPOTLE MEATBALLS - More Mexican Everyday, p. 117

Prep for this has already been described, so I’ll just make a few notes. I used Impossible ground in place of beef. I omitted the egg, and used a smaller quantity of breadcrumbs (the Impossible is pretty tender without). I did use the mint, as I like mint in meatballs.

We thought these were fine. Didn’t blow us away, by any means, but pleasant enough. I mean, they are meatballs! Served with some potatoes that were tossed with leftovers of the sweet and sour dark chipotle dressing from the eggplant dish reported above.

7 Likes

RED PEANUT MOLE WITH CHICKEN - More Mexican Everyday, p. 105

There are two variations on this recipe, for a sweeter mole and a more savory mole, and I made them both. For both dishes, you start out by frying some ancho chiles, onion, and garlic in oil. This goes into a blender with some canned fire-roasted tomatoes, dry- or oil-roasted peanuts (mine were blister fried), bread, chipotle en adobo, allspice, cinnamon, and chicken broth. This gets blended until smooth. I used a Vitamix, so no need to pass through a sieve. You then heat some oil in a pot and add the paste, and cook it down until significantly reduced and darkened in color. At this point I divided the paste in half. I saved one portion to make the savory version of the mole on another day, and proceeded to make a half recipe of the sweet version. To the mole paste, you add more chicken broth, Mexican chocolate, salt, and a bit of sugar. He then suggests ladling this sauce over chicken thighs and baking. I was using Daring chicken, so figured I just sauté the “chicken” pieces, then add the sauce and simmer on the stove. But this sauce really wanted to scorch during simmering, so instead of watching it like a hawk and constantly stirring, I did end up putting the pot, covered, in the oven.

A few days later I made the savory version. To this version of the sauce, instead of chocolate, you add red wine, bay leaves, and a touch of vinegar. It still gets the salt and sugar same as the sweet version. I used the same Daring “chicken” pieces, but this time baked them uncovered (after sautéing the chicken on the stove, because the texture of this product is best if it gets browned a bit before going in a sauce).

Both of these were better than expected, considering how simplified they are. My usual mole is a black mole that takes all day to make and is incredibly complex, so I tend to be pretty skeptical of simplified moles. But it was pretty good. I preferred the savory version slightly. I also got better results baking the dish uncovered, so the sauce reduced a bit and the chicken pieces weren’t swimming. First pic is sweet version served with leftovers of the herby green chile rice reported on above. Second pic is the savory version (yeah, I know they look pretty much identical) served with the garlicky tomato rice variation of the creamy rice and beans (p. 250).

13 Likes

CREAMY RICE AND BEANS IN THREE CLASSIC FLAVORS: GARLICKY TOMATO RICE - More Mexican Everyday, p. 251

This is another variation on the creamy rice and beans, and like the herby green chile rice I reported on above, I made it in the Instant Pot. Same method as described above, but this time I reduced the time under pressure by one minute, which gave me a better texture. This only difference between this recipe and the previous one is the add-ins. This time it’s sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, and black beans. The last time this book was COTM, this was my favorite variation, and that holds true this time around as well. Pictured above with the savory version of the chicken mole.

7 Likes

ROASTED POBLANO-POTATO SALAD WITH FLAKED TUNA - Mexican Everyday, p. 94

This looked interesting to me, and I had everything on hand to make it, so why not? You start by burning the skin off a couple poblanos. The potatoes are cut up and microwaved. Onion is sautéed - the recipe calls for red onion, but I had yellow onions so that’s what I used. The dressing is made by stirring vinegar, oregano, black pepper, and the poblanos into the sautéed onions. This is poured over the potatoes. They are allowed to cool before you stir in tuna and fresh cilantro. To make this vegan, I used my homemade “tuna” mixture, which is made from soy curls and lobster mushrooms, which are shredded and marinated. It’s better than any of the vegan “tuna” analogues on the market.

We liked this salad. I’d call it a solid potato salad, which for us served as a whole meal. Nothing earth-shattering here. Not the best potato salad I’ve ever tasted, just something I would happily eat.

9 Likes

LLD will never cop to liking beans, but I suspect you’re right.

The mixture was pretty dense, not as loose as sloppy joes. Mine was denser than hummus.

2 Likes

Off topic, sorry about that, but LLM: here is another bean-sandwich variation that sounds good; I have not tried it and might do so one day (veganized):

I wonder if there would be interest in a thread on bean sandwiches, without getting hopelessly bogged down in the ‘what counts as a sandwich’ controversy :smiley:

2 Likes

I love the carbiness of it. Beans, potatoes, baguette. Thanks for this link.

Not sure how often I could getaway with beans sandwiches, but I’d surely be interested.

1 Like

Oh, man, bean sandwiches would be a DOTQ I could get behind!

3 Likes

The new reporting thread is here:

1 Like

I think there are many foods Mexicans eat that are just comfort foods, without the amazing. Daily cooking in Mexico is not like a Mexican resto. One thing I love is pozole. Pork soup. In the us, most of use didn’t grow up with pork soup, me thinks. Even though I’ve made it with leftovers, pork works just fine in soups. Pozole doesn’t have a ton of wow factor. Just healthy, everyday, food.

1 Like

SEAFOOD SALAD TACOS WITH TOMATO, RADISH, AND HABANERO (Tacos de Mariscos a la Vinagreta) - Mexican Everyday, pp. 202-204

I had made some hot smoked trout yesterday and had about a 1/2 pound left, so I used it for this recipe in place of the shrimp it called for. This is one of my “go-to” recipes in this cookbook. You combine lime juice, onion, tomato, fresh chiles, radish, cilantro, and the cooked seafood of your choice, salt everything to taste, and then serve with warm corn tortillas. You can also pass hot sauce or salsa of your choice at the table. I used a habanero hot sauce (the El Yucateco green one). I can eat this just about any time of the year!

8 Likes

SKILLET TACOS w/ GREEN CHILE ADOBO (pg.33) & SHRIMP, pg, 93

NJChicaa has done a great write-up on how to make them with a link even. So, I will just skip that part and tell you to make these ASAP. I think I ate these like 4 days in a row because they were so delicious and so easy. I think the shrimp ones take about a minute if you’ve prepped everything. It’s crazy fast.

I served mine with lime wedges, tomatillo salsa, queso fresco, and cilantro.

There is literally no end in the combination of delicious toppings you can add to make these tacos taste the BOMB.

7 Likes

I alos made the chicken version. I think this one took like 10 minutes.

5 Likes

CHICKEN BARBACOA, pg. 324

I think the shark household went through a whole taco week.

Preheat oven to 250.

Heat oil in a heavy pot. Season chicken pieces generously. Or the whole chicken if you are doing it his way. Put the chicken in thee oil and fry. Breast go skin side down first. Flip the pieces over after browning. After the dip, scatter onions all over. Stir onions once in a while. Once the sides are browned, add in RED CHILE ADOBO (pg. 37)(recipe follows) into two cups water. Pour all this over the chicken. He has you use banana leaves or avocado leaves to cover. I just used aluminum foil. Put the lid on and stuck the whole thing into thee oven. Braise for 1.5 hours.

Transfer chicken to cutting board. Let cool. And then shred.

Meanwhile, taste broth and correct seasoning. Put it on the stove to simmer. Add in the shredded chicken. Warm through.

Serve with salsa, avocado slices, cilantro, queso, and limes.

5 Likes

QUICK REED CHILE ADOBO, pg 37

In a food processor, put .25 cups of ancho chile powder.

In a medium saucepan, bring 1.5 cups of water to boil. Pour water over ancho chile. Loosely cover blender, and blend until a smooth paste forms.

Here he has you nuke garlic in water in the microwave. I just microplaned mine into the chile slurry. You do you.

Then you add in oregano, cinnamon, black pepper, cumin, apple cider vinegar, and salt into the slurry. Blend again. If too thick, add in some water. The consistency should be like BBQ sauce.

Cover. Store in fridge for up to a couple of months.

3 Likes

March nominations are here:

(GRILLED)ROADSIDE (WHOLE) CHICKEN (WITH KNOB ONIONS)
Mexican Everyday pp. 178-181

I made the marinade for this chicken and used it on chicken thighs, potato, fennel, and onion tonight before I roasted them. You blend ancho chile powder, ground cloves, ground cinnamon, Mexican oregano, garlic, cider vinegar, orange juice, and salt. Then rub it on the chicken before cooking it. I used a whole ancho and a whole morita chile, along with some whole cinnamon (a wee shard) and 3 whole cloves. These were toasted and then ground. Then I proceeded with the recipe.

I roasted everything in a 350F oven for about 45 minutes. Then I served it with corn tortillas, salsa macha, cilantro, scallions, and lime. These make superlative tacos!

9 Likes

You pointed this recipe out to me back in CH days, and I have been grateful to you ever since! Looks terrific! :yum:

1 Like

Thank you! I haven’t made it in a while and tonight seemed like the night. I wish I could have grilled it, but the temps just refused to get out of the low forties/high thirties (and it is an electric grill with no options for indirect heat). I’m glad you enjoy the recipe!

1 Like

Just popping in to say that Mexican Everyday is on sale as an ebook on amazon right now for $2.99. I got myself a copy.

5 Likes