Memorial Day Musings by the Shore 2020........

I suppose I underestimated peoples laziness when compared to cheapness! Haha!

3 Likes

As a kid, the extended family went to Cape May for two weeks every summer (before it was pricey/trendy). After a few severe burns (like blisters, laying on the porch for days), the adults found ways other than the beach to entertain me. I have actually gotten sunburned through shirts at long concerts at the old JFK in Philly (weird having a sunburn with bra strap marks) and once got a severe sunburn on my legs driving to Ohio while wearing shorts (fun wedding . . .I could wear my dress but not my pantyhose). Yes, I am the whitest red head youā€™ve never met. Oddly enough the parents and three sisters could tan to a dark brown. (Maybe thereā€™s something mom and dad didnā€™t tell me . . . neither they nor the sisters are ghostly white nor redheads :thinking:

That said, I still enjoy visiting the shore. The smell of the sea, enjoying an ice cream cone while strolling the boardwalk, dining out at some nice restaurants, savoring a cocktail while overlooking the ocean. A few years ago I even revived my skeeball skills and gave a kid enough tickets to get the (toy) car he was looking to own.

5 Likes

ā€œI was born in the sign of water and itā€™s there that I feel my best.ā€ Ironically true.

2 Likes

Just. So. Terrific!
Nature telling us, ā€œitā€™s great to be aliveā€.

Thank you for posting!

2 Likes

I always think that dolphins and whales yell ā€œLook what I can do!ā€ as they start these acrobaticsā€¦ :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I live four blocks or less than 1/2 a mile (take your pick whichever sounds less) from the beach, right off of one of the main access roads to the beach. If you know the area Iā€™m just over the drawbridge on the beach side. Usually the road is is filled with parked cars by noon on the Friday before Memorial Day. It will be very interesting to see how things go this year.

The town has banned parking in only one area near the beach and as far as I know there is no plan to rescind that for the weekend. SL and SL Heights still ban parking.

As someone who had a business that depended on summer activity and a taxpayer, I have mixed feelings about who is allowed to use the beach. Most of our businesses depend upon tourists. The locals eat at home. Town coffers depend upon beach revenues. The townā€™s 6000 residents did not generate $1.8 million. Itā€™s a double-edged sword.

3 Likes

We live in Eastham. All festivities in Provicetown have been cancelled through the end of the year. No Wellfleet Oysterfest in October. No 4th of July Prade in Orleans or Fireworks. No band concerts on the Eastham or Chatham greens. Many short term rentals banned because of the required 14 days stay in place restrictions. AND ROCK HARBOR canā€™t get itā€™s house in order for boaters on the Eastham side to put theyā€™re boats into our slips until the END OF JUNE.

4 Likes

Weā€™re dealing with lots of similar issues here at the Jersey Shoreā€¦I live in Asbury Park, which is a live music town year 'round, but in addition to the indoor clubs/venues, weā€™re looking at a summer without any outdoor shows at the Stone Pony Summer Stage and on the boardwalk. VERY bizarre.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the feedback. Iā€™ll pass this along to my husband. My favorite memories are watching baseball games, eating lobster rolls from Sir Crickets and looking for crabs at Skaket!

2 Likes

Nothing to add other than I hope Cape recovers from the economic loss. And that I love your part of the world, esp that far out on the Cape.
To make it food related I loved the food at the Chatham pier and Macs shack right in the water.

2 Likes

Four Seas Ice Cream.
Last time I was there, a guy was trying to do their big challenge; iirc, it was a sundae with something like 8 full scoops of ice cream + ALL the toppings, including a couple of bananas. We had finished our ice cream, but sat watching as his kids were egging him onā€“and then the staff brought him a bucket and we decided we didnā€™t want to watch the fireworks at the end of the show.

3 Likes

For most of my ā€œchildhoodā€ in Queens NY, Memorial Day was my birthday, and all about me! There were always parades, carnivals, and fairs. I sort of " ran away to the circus " one year, maybe 8 years old. Nobody noticed until the priest from my church brought me back home.

History of Memorial Day

Memorial Day, as Decoration Day gradually came to be known, originally honored only those lost while fighting in the Civil War. But during World War I the United States found itself embroiled in another major conflict, and the holiday evolved to commemorate American military personnel who died in all wars, including World War II, The Vietnam War, The Korean War and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

For decades, Memorial Day continued to be observed on May 30, the date Logan had selected for the first Decoration Day. But in 1968 Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, which established Memorial Day as the last Monday in May in order to create a three-day weekend for federal employees; the change went into effect in 1971. The same law also declared Memorial Day a federal holiday.

3 Likes

As per every Memorial Day we are heading to Virginia, this year for two reasons, one old, and one new. The old reason (well 7yrs old) is to visit my parents who are buried in Quantico National Cemetery. If not Memorial Day Weekend, when? The second reason is that the restaurants in Virginia (not Northern VA) south of the Rappahannock are open. First town south of the Rappahonnack on 95 is Fredericksburgā€¦home of many good restaurantsā€¦our local favorite Fahrenheit 123 (a steakhouse that wonā€™t serve meat cooked over 123 degrees unless under protest) has 6 tables available per seating per night (so far) and we have one. Iā€™d like to dis Phil Murphy and his teeth, but we were heading that way anyway. Besides, I rode my bike to Andy Kā€™s this afternoon and almost got hit twice by cars with orange license plates, who are here because Mayor Warren Wilhelm JR. (junior!) banned people from the ocean so fish donā€™t get the covid. Will be back with pics! Of menus, waiters, people, food, the reasons for living, etc.

4 Likes

My wife and I drove to New Orleans two weekends ago. We sat in a restaurant last night, no table service, you picked up your order and could sit at a table. We opted for that as the roast beef poā€™boy she ordered likely wouldnā€™t travel well.

Most places have outdoor seating and limited inside these days, so we will probably have a meal inside at some point in the next few days a d actually get waited on, I canā€™t wait

3 Likes

My Father was born on Memorial Day and he was pissed when they passed that law, it took the luster off his birthday. He was also a combat veteran of World War II flying bombing missions over Germany.

5 Likes

Manasquan Beach noon on Sunday of Labor Day Weekend, 2020. In ā€œnormalā€ times the beach would be packed. However, Iā€™m not sure if the emptiness is due to Coronavirus or because itā€™s 50 degrees and very windy.

6 Likes

If AP is any indication, itā€™s the weatherā€”but our boardwalk is too busy with people not wearing masks for me to be on it today. Have I said weā€™re doomed?

6 Likes

Itā€™s the weather. Today was wet in Galveston early but the skies cleared and Iā€™m sure the mask less were packed in like sardines. Memorial Day is looking like a washout. Iā€™m crossing my fingers for that.

3 Likes

Iā€™m interested in seeing what happens tomorrow. Itā€™s still supposed to be on the cool side but there may actually be some sun.

2 Likes

I just hope to God we donā€™t see a spike in cases 2-3 weeks from now, but something tells me we might.

6 Likes