Memorial Day Musings by the Shore 2020........

We always went to Cape May in mid-late September. Great weather, fewer crowds, no kids. As a childless adult I always aim all vacations for times when schools are in session :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

@NotJrvedivici I couldnā€™t get here fast enough to share this:

2 Likes

Brought to you by the same folks who make screen doors for submarines.

5 Likes

NJ beach goers should consider themselves lucky that their state didnā€™t sponsor a topless Jeep Weekend like they did at Chrystal Beach out of Galveston last weekend. Like they didnā€™t have enough problems last year. And now thereā€™s Memorial Day weekend coming up in Galveston. I feel for the police there.

5 Likes

Canā€™t really add anything to what @NotJrvedivici said. Yeah. Itā€™s gonna be a freakinā€™ shit show. Thankfully (I think), I have work this weekend so that will quell any temptation to hit the beach. Am off Monday, but since swimming is still not allowed yet as part of the governorā€™s orders (unless it has changed) and the lots on Sandy Hook will probably be closed before I even wake up, I am thinking of just staying home and cooking all day.

I hate to be ā€œone of thoseā€ people, but I really wish that this weekend, beaches would be limited to NJ residents only. Not to be greedy, but we live here. Can we just have this one weekend before it becomes BENNY central?

3 Likes

The state didnā€™t sponsor it but they were the catalyst by re-opening the beaches. A lot of overtime was spent by the county and state for extra law enforcement.

2 Likes

From what Iā€™m hearing Pt. Pleasant isnā€™t going to be open for Memorial Day weekend. A combination of not having a sufficient ā€œsocial distanceā€ plan (boardwalk too narrow?) and a lack of auxiliary police since the academies have been closed. That means look out Seaside and Belmar as Iā€™m sure thatā€™s where the overflow crowds that are rejected at Point will head to.

What interesting times in which we live.

I concur with @gcaggiano that the NJ beaches should at least be for NJ residents only. You canā€™t close them completely to Bennyā€™s but I donā€™t see why we have to let NYerā€™s onto the beaches. NY isnā€™t opening for the weekend so I"m sure the crowds are headed our way, that doesnā€™t seem fair.

6 Likes

if you need to go to beach stay to a local known one- away from any boardwalk one or one out of staters love- like Sandy Hook.
Iā€™m curious to hear about how the beach clubs and how it goes- Iā€™m sure a few people will cause an issue- ones that everyone already is worried about at their club. (aka the ones who use it as day camp so they can get loaded with their buddies).

Pretty sure thatā€™s what my wife uses it for!!! :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

I think mother nature (forecast change) has saved our asses. Saturday 100% chance of rain, high of 63. Sunday high of 60.

1 Like

Iā€™m right there with you, Greg. Iā€™m generally not ā€œone of thoseā€ people, but weeks ago I said I wouldnā€™t object to restricting the AP beaches to F/T residentsā€¦

2 Likes

But legally they canā€™t restrict it, would it be great, absolutely

1 Like

Yupā€¦I know! Interestingly enough, NY announced today that certain beaches would be open to town residents only; I wonder how theyā€™re allowed to do that.

Elected and appointed officials donā€™t let whether the law allows them to do things to get in the way of doing them.

4 Likes

I wonder if they are going to enforce in that only town residents are able to park. I would think this would be the easiest way to control things. Spring Lake didnā€™t allow parking up till recently (or still might not) and most people are too lazy to drag all their crap from a distance.

I am waaaay ahead of the curve on this one.

Due to early skin cancer ( removed and hopefully gone ) doctors told me to stay out of the sun over 35 years ago. So, no beach for me.

As a concerned resident however, I hope that there are no physical altercations this weekend!

1 Like

As far as I know, thatā€™s still in effect in SL. I thought it was brilliant, but thereā€™s no way AP is going to follow suit. We couldnā€™t even get Ocean Ave closed when the boardwalk was closed to allow more space for pedestrians!

My mom was WAY ahead of the curve on sun exposure; when I was 3ā€“5 we lived in FL, and she used to make us wear a strip of Desitin across our noses so we wouldnā€™t get sunburned! She always work gauze shirts and sat under an umbrella, and Iā€™ve always been careful as a result, and my favorite time of day on the beach has always been 4-5pm and later anyway.

4 Likes

My mom could publish a book on her sayings but one the one she drilled into us as kids on this topic:

ā€œA TANNED SKIN IS A DAMAGED SKINā€

3 Likes

You would be surprised how far people drag their crap in Asbury.
I live at the corner where free parking starts, it was supposed to be pay parking starting a little while ago but that hasnā€™t happened yet.
In the summer people park where it is free first and lug their crap to the beach, people are so cheap in the winter they park where it is free to avoid the whopping 1 dollar an hour charge while they eat at Porta

1 Like