Memorial Day Musings by the Shore 2020........

The kid and I did out usual loop around deep cut park in Middletown. It is so beautiful. We pulled in around 9 and was the third or fourth car. When we left at 10, I had to ask a group of at least 25 people to move away from my car so we could get in. The entire lot was filled ( but half the spaces were roped off). I didn’t see a mask on anyone in the group. I felt completely shaken by it. So strange all of this.

10 Likes

I’m with you… It’s very scary that people think we just flipped a switch and everything’s OK right now. I feel now the way I felt in late March. There’s a whole new batch of people in our area and too many of them don’t seem to be taking it seriously.

8 Likes

News photos I’ve seen taken from ocean beaches in NY, the Carolinas and Florida show hundreds and thousands of people congregating together in very close proximity to one another. I’m guessing by mid June there will be an “up tick” in CoronaVirus cases along the east coast. And a new run up of deaths.

4 Likes

On our walk to the beach, which is a bit less than half a mile, was probably closer to 3/4 for all the zig zagging we had to do. I’m trying to think of it as extra steps. For the most part the other walkers were quite accommodating but the street has several summer rentals on it and large groups tend to hang out. They were too close for my comfort. Not many masks but a few.

2 Likes

In our condo community on the shore, our picnic/BBQ area is roped off with yellow tape because of groups of people congregating without masks on Mothers Day weekend. We’re paying the price for their ignorance. Last night, a family of 11 climbed over the tape to have a family BBQ dinner. Imagine teaching your children to climb over tape that’s put there for public safety. The icing on the cake: our board president who made the decision to tape off the picnic area walked by the group twice and chose to ignore it. The mixed messaging goes on and on.

Just now, I watched a NY fireman walk by with his FIL and two children without masks. The fireman and his family are staying with his inlaws for the weekend. We are close friends with this family. This is happening across the complex. It’s causing tension between the group of us who are still taking every precaution and the groups who aren’t. We are doomed.

6 Likes

Didn’t even want to go near Sandy Hook.

Instead got some physical activity playing hockey with some friends from work. Easy to social distance (for the most part). Really a beautiful day to be outside.

Now to rehydrate and make some rum punch. Burgers are WFD.

Hope everyone is enjoying their day.

4 Likes

Rum punch on the patio!

8 Likes

We went back to deep cut today with my parents. We had to park at Tatum but the space is so big it was very easy to distance from other people. Nearly everyone seemed to be cognizant and respectful of others. We brought masks but didn’t feel like we needed to wear them.

2 Likes

What a difference a day makes. I guess you have to be prepared for all possibilities. I’m glad today was better.

2 Likes

We went to spring lake this am from about 9-11 am. It was absolutely not crowded and plenty of spots even at 11. Spring lake has implemented some extra hoops to go through to get a beach pass which appears to be deterring people. You have to buy a pass online and then pick it up at the train station. Lots of foot traffic on the boardwalk and minimal mask wearing but it was quite easy to avoid people.

2 Likes

Interesting… so they’ve lightened up on the parking? AP is also requiring day passes be purchased online via the Viply app, and they’re supposedly limited the number that will be sold. I think you have to order them the day before. Parking will still cost you here, though! You can count on it.

I don’t think spring lake charged on parking before but no spots were roped off or anything like that. We bought mine (husband was free with his board. Kid free because of her age) the night before too.

1 Like

How would you like to be in this person’s shoes. Showed up on Saturday, became sick Sunday morning but kept it up. Time frame included. And away we go.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksdk.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/lake-ozarks-viral-photos-coronavirus-case/63-cde55836-9e77-4b40-946d-65443cd791d2

@CurlzNJ @gracieggg
I think Spring Lake reinstated street parking. Previously, neither SP nor Spring Lake Heights allowed any street parking other than for 15 minutes for store pickups or deliveries. My next door neighbor works in downtown Spring Lake and he had to jump through hoops to get permission to park.

We took a boat ride today along the beaches today. There were some places that looked somewhat crowded with large groups sitting close together but there were plenty of empty spaces if you wanted. We were out from about 1 - 3, and rode from mid-beach Point Pleasant, Manasquan, Sea Girt and about halfway to the north pavilion in SL.

Manasquan is not currently selling badges at all. They sold seasonal badges on-line until 5/15 and will be deciding how to move forward after 6/1. No dailies yet. Traffic and parking in my area looked like any other sunny Saturday in the summer. I figure I can go to the beach Monday - Friday and stay away on the weekend if it gets too crazy.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the mentality most of us full-time residence seem to have! Go during the week, and on days when the weather isn’t great to avoid the tourists.

1 Like

Manasquan published it’s Phase 2 steps for opening the beach. The beach walk (our version of the boardwalk but is really just an asphalt sidewalk along the beach) and the sidewalk along the inlet are reopening today. They have been closed since March. The beach playgrounds will remain closed and seasonal badges are only available on line. Daily badges will be sold in person on the weekends.

Phase 2 is pretty consistent with past years as there has always been a phased-in opening. Things never got into full swing until after school closed. One bonus - the bike racks are at the beach already. They never got set up until after school closed.

No comments about a Phase 3. At one point I know there was talk about limiting daily badge sales based on crowd size. We shall see.

1 Like

If I dug two holes and I decided to label each hole, the first is A and the second is B. The person in that article would definitely be the first a hole, that person is without a doubt an A-hole!

4 Likes

I was pretty psyched when I read that we are finding ways to bring back live events. That is, until I read the article and found out the “headliner” was freakin’ Southside Johnny! I’d rather watch @corvette_johnny cooking on his grill than listen to that crap.

2 Likes

I believe we have our first Pandemic HODown to plan… :rofl::smile::rofl:

1 Like

We were just talking about it, we need someone with a Jeep so you can at least stand up and dance in your vehicle.

Jim Gaffigan is also doing a stand up date there, that may be more conducive to sitting in the car