Mayo: love it or hate it?

My son the ex-chef makes a wonderful Mexican style street corn salad with avocado oil mayo and that was the only reason I had a jar of the stuff from Costco on hand. After 3 years in the fridge taking up valuable real estate, it went back to him. He said it tasted ‘off’, I thought it tasted ‘off’ from the get-go. Not a fan here.

I definitely think there are places where mayo is a must have. BLT for sure, hamburger (sans real cheese) I need it for lube with lettuce onions and tomato. Any sandwich that includes lettuce and tomato begs me for mayo on top of it all. Also need it for egg, tuna, chicken, ham salads.

2 Likes

It’s good on pork. If you use it o a pork sandwich, you might try adding hamburger dill slices for some texture. Another thing that’s great on a pork sandwich is raw cabbage, as per this place. https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2019/08/21/the-dixie-pig-blytheville-arkansas/

3 Likes

Japan’s zeal for the stuff turned me way off of mayonnaise years ago. The damn thing is found in onigiri, hot dog buns, on fruit, but fortunately it hasn’t hit the Kit Kats yet.

(uh oh. Kewpie is going to have a Kit Kat collab now. I sense it.)

2 Likes

We had an ‘Asian fusion’ restaurant here years ago that served something like mayo or Miracle Whip on their green salad (consisting of watery iceberg lettuce, one thin cucumber slice and one snall carrot curl in a small rice bowl. I asked them what it wascand they said it was very difficult to make. The flavor kinda grew on me. Then they closed shop and split. It might have been Yum Yum or Kewpie, I dunno and I don’t want to buy a bottle of each to find out. Ideas?

It is probably heavily based on mayo, but not mayo. It may be Wafu version of Caesar Salad dressing.

1 Like

I love mayonnaise enough that it is near the base of my food pyramid. When I get store bought, it is always Duke’s. My recipe tastes very similar. Egg yolk, pinch of salt, tsp. of Dijon, juice of a lemon (not a Meyer lemon…too sweet), and a cup of peanut oil.

1 Like

I’m so glad Duke’s is now widely available here. And there are 2 things I never use strong, fruity, peppery olive oil in, because to me it’s overpowering - mayonnaise and Caesar salad dressing. Haven’t tried peanut oil, though.

It was definitely different than anything I’ve had before. Not garlickly, like Caesar might be, slightly tangy, maybe rice vinegar? They wouldn’t tell me the ingredients and now I want it. Time to play in the kitchen.

I regularly use ghee, olive, and peanut for cooking (peanut usually 50/50 with butter), better olive oil and sesame oil for finishing. Since peanut is all there is, I use it in mayonnaise and like the taste. Never felt a need to try others.

2 Likes

I find olive oil to get a little bitter sometimes when over-whipped or emulsified. Even for salad dressings or vinaigrettes I prefer a more neutral oil with just a splash of olive oil added. Unless I use my nut oils. Those are bomb.

Now that I have a proper stick blender I really should make my own again soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really do prefer olive oil, but as you mention… my stick blender and FP run way too fast to avoid over-doing it. My VM’s lowest speed is very low and does a wonderful job.

1 Like

Yep, born in Tampa and live in Tampa Bay. My mom like a tomato sandwich as well. She was born in Jacksonville and lived in Macon Ga in her youth

2 Likes

That poster hasn’t been active here in 7 years :wink:

An astoundingly cool trick. I’d have an IB even if that were all it could do.

1 Like

Love mayo, home made or decent store bought.

1 Like

5 Likes

Does it have to government issued?

2 Likes

I concur on pastrami. It also freaks me out knowing a guy who insists on melted cheese on grilled brats. I can do classic with brown mustard or modern with curry ketchup. I also know someone who adds mayonnaise to the classics on a hot dog. It tastes sort of like the old buttered buns at HoJo’s. I prefer toasted or steamed. Mayonnaise augmented with lemon and a shake of curry powder is divine with broccoli, but so is plain mayonnaise. Chipotles en adobo are on the shopping list for Thanksgiving mayonnaise.

We’ve seen loathsome products labeled pastrami or corned beef that on not even close inspection are obviously not made using a brisket cut. There’s no appreciable amount of beef fat in the products, and we know fat is flavor and brisket has good fat. Applying mayo could be a lame attempt to compensate, we’d venture – but what do we know, not having any personal experience with rescuing a misconceived product we’d never touch.

1 Like