Mayo: love it or hate it?

Not as low as I thought would be. To hail, mayo!

1 Like

Same survey also asked “How do Americans like their burger cooked?”

Rare: 2%
Medium Rare: 12%
Medium: 17%
Medium Well: 20%
Well: 40%
Burnt: 2%

I for one, would like to know if condiment preference varied according to the doneness of your patty.

2 Likes

Not to get sidetracked.

But a good burger deserves no toppings.

4 Likes

This is surprising. I feel… this survey may not be very scientific.

1 Like

Beside the YouGov poll, I found three different sources. None is perfect. The first one is from DoorDash. DoorDash did an internal analysis based on 2022-2023 grocery orders data. The catch is this is a limited database based on the people who shop at DoorDash. This is also a correlation data, not a definite yes-and-no answer.

Kicking off Grilling Season with Sizzling Insights - DoorDash Newsroom

Grubhub on the other hand actually found mayo as number 1 condiment.

America’s favorite hamburger condiment will surprise you (foodsided.com)

One more. This is a classic survey poll conducted by OnePoll

From toppings to sides, Americans reveal what it takes to put together the perfect burger - digitalhub US (swnsdigital.com)

1 Like

I like it? Feels like this should be a crossover with the BBQ thread here. With smokey poultry, it is a win.

I used this one, from Serious Eats:

I think there is so much cider vinegar in there that the mayo is incidental (beyond thickening). I did marinate the chicken I was cooking in some of it overnight too, before smoking. I think it worked great!

1 Like

Mine does - it also varies according to patty thickness/bun to meat ratio. A very delicate balancing act indeed!

2 Likes

There are two main ways to go with a burger – LTM or mustard, pickle , and raw onion. The former is better for a thick burger, the better for a thin one. Bacon and jalapeños, of course, make everything better.

The Third Way is the Guberburger. https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2019/04/25/local-sandwiches-update-the-guberburger-taste-test/

I LOVE Mayo, and think it’s quite under-rated as a sauce, yet I don’t want it showing up where it shouldn’t be. But yes, very welcome in so many uses.

2 Likes

On any cheeseburger, the mustard must go on the underside of the top bun so that it makes contact with the yellow cheese. Everyone knows mustard brings around an additional depth in flavor to yellow cheeses. Omit if the cheese is not yellow.

3 Likes

What if the mustard is also not yellow?

1 Like

:thinking: Well, there’s a conundrum!

What an insightful suggestion. Only a burger lover knows this.

1 Like

Mayo is the best-selling condiment (some debate if it is first or second).

1 Like

Funny, I omit the cheese if it is yellow.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I am seeing more avocado mayo at supermarkets. Has anyone tried it? Does it taste better or worse? Is the selling point for health or taste?

I think a lot of that mayo (more than the other items in the chart) is used as an ingredient, rather than as a condiment. I.e. cups of mayo in dressings and dips as a creamy base vs applied directly to food as an “enhancement”

I agree since I often see those big buckets of mayo. Thanks for your information.

1 Like

Yes, I take your point, it is extremely popular, though maybe under appreciated as the fantastic and convenient sauce that it is. If that makes sense? (It’s so ubiquitous as to be completely ordinary, rather than the extraordinary creation it is.)

2 Likes