May–August 2023 Baking Cookbook of the Month: ONE TIN BAKES

(post deleted by author)

FLORENTINE GRAPE FOCACCIA(minus gra

pes) last recipe in book. This turned out nice and chewy. The dough is very elastic to work with but you just scrape it into the 9x13 and spread it with your wetted fingers. Will make again.

8 Likes

These look gorgeous and I’m interested in baking more with buckwheat flour. How similar is the basic recipe to this (non-laminated) one?

Hmm, not all that much. The OTB recipe calls for 230g AP flour, 180g buckwheat flour, 1T baking powder, 50g superfine sugar (granulated would be fine), 1/2 tsp fine salt, 140g butter (1 1/4 sticks), 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 eggs, and 2 tsp vanilla for the dough, plus 1/2 cup raspberry jam and 3 diced nectarines (whatever that means), though I used peach jam and fresh sweet cherries. Let me know if you’d like the instructions

Yeah, that’s quite different. If you don’t mind sending me the OTB recipe, I’d appreciate it!

1 Like

On reflection, I’d recommend only baking whatever amount will be consumed on baking day and freezing the remainder unbaked and baking from frozen, so you don’t lose the flakiness and lamination overnight. That’s what I’ll do next time. These would be great with any stone fruit and contrasting jam.

1 Like

Raspberry Cream Lamingtons p. 34

I love lamingtons but I deliberated over making this for a long time. A sponge cake soaked in a sweetened gelatin, cream and milk mixture? Would it be like a tres leches cake? I love those, but they’re awfully squidgy. Would I be able to roll it in jam and coconut without it falling apart? Would it be like panna cotta? Would 1 sheet of gelatin be enough?
Anyway, I stopped thinking about it and made the cake and soak last night, and finished it this afternoon. I did make a half recipe. I’m happy to report it’s like neither of the desserts above. The cake is not noticeably saturated and is not heavy. It is pretty sweet with sugar in the cake, soak and jam. I made 9 pieces, and trimmed all edges. The assembly didn’t seem as messy as with the chocolate. I used a carving fork to lift and move the squares.

8 Likes

Beautiful! Your post also belongs on the Australia COTQ thread here.

Thanks! I didn’t know about that thread.

One of the recipes from Tuesdays with Dorie(a group baking thru Baking with Dorie )where I participant is baking lamingtons. I plan to do them this weekend, never tasted one.

Fun! I used to participate in Tuesdays with Dorie for Baking from my Home to Yours (I think that’s what it was called).

2 Likes

OTB is $2.99 on kindle ($3.99 in Canada) again. OTB Easy, too.

I made the Raspberry Cheesecake bars a month or so ago for a potluck, and got raves, so I’ve been looking for an excuse to make them again. A friend’s birthday today! Yes! Here’s a link to the recipe (with corrected amounts - the ones in the book are wrong): https://www.theboywhobakes.co.uk/recipes/2020/8/3/raspberry-cheesecake-streusel-bars

4 Likes

6 Likes

I’ve been using a scale for everything given in weight. I’d be surprised if this were the only conversion error, I’m afraid (I haven’t closely examined the recipes and amounts).

1 Like

Time to nominate our next book!

New reporting thread:

The Kindle version is down to $1.99 on Amazon.

1 Like

This one seems to be discounted on kindle pretty frequently!