May–August 2022 Baking Book: BAKING WITH DORIE

I hadn’t thought of linking the threads that way - I’ll do it going forward. Thanks!

I have one more to go - a corn bread recipe. I hope to get to it next week. The three recipes I’ve tried thus far have all been winners. I rarely purchase cookbooks anymore for the usual reasons, so I’m still on the fence about purchasing this one. Hoping to see more posts to convince me! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We try to keep posts about particular COTM recipes linked so it’s easier to peruse and compare others’ experiences.

In my experience, DG is very reliable (I have severance of her books). You might consider subscribing to her free newsletter . Not every one contains a recipe, but most do, and she has included a number of recipes from this book, as well as from her other books or that she’s published elsewhere, along with some by other authors.

I’m about to break a long baking hiatus, so I expect to be making and reporting on some recipes from this book over the next months.

5 Likes

Either I’ve been out of town, or Lulu has, so I haven’t been baking. Hoping in a week or two to make something from the book.

4 Likes

Re-visiting Dorie’s Puffers. This version was bacon, cheddar and scallion. Crispy on the outside, and eggy on the inside. We’re liking this recipe very much as an easy breakfast bite.

11 Likes

Geez, just noticed autocorrect changed several to severance. I never understand why it wants to default to less common words.…

So true, that damn auto correct!

I made the salted caramel cake from BwD. I am not sure that I could recommend this cake. First of all, there is NOT enough frosting to cover the cake! It’s a 9" double layer cake, and the frosting is 2 cups of confectioners sugar whipped with 1 cup of salted caramel sauce. How on earth could that cover the whole cake? Answer. It can’t. I made this for my daughter’s 16th birthday cake - we celebrated outside with family today - and thankfully I realized by 930 am that I needed to make another batch of frosting. I ended up making a salted caramel buttercream, but had to run out for more cream and sugar. The salted buttercream is my own creation - beat together 1 stick of salted butter, 1 stick of unsalted with 1/2 t of fine sea salt. Add 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar. Add 1 cup of salted caramel sauce (I made the one from SK - I prefer it to Dorie’s). So this was kind of a triple caramel cake. My SIL, who also bakes a lot, said that it was worth all the extra stress and effort, but honestly, I don’t know. I’m super critical of my own cakes. It DOES taste like caramel which I appreciate - my 10 year old who is kind of a super taster said that it had a strong flavor!

11 Likes

That’s a pet peeve of mine.

It certainly sounds delicious.

1 Like

And looks delicious!

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

MOCHACCINO MUFFINS, p. 68

I tend to love all things coffee- and mocha-flavored, so trying these was a no-brainer. I made a couple of tweaks, based on what I had on hand, both of which worked well. I didn’t have enough milk, I subbed the equivalent amount of powdered buttermilk and water, and to offset the increase in acidity I altered the proportions of baking powder and soda to 2.25 tsp and .5 tsp, respectively. And since I happened to have a bag of Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips lingering in the pantry, I used those instead of mini chips or finely chopped chocolate; I used twice as much by volume as she calls for for the min8 chips, and that proportion seemed just right. I also added a dash of vanilla. My oven is fast and tends to perform better with convection, so these were baked in 15 minutes for me, and in fact seemed right on the cusp of baked/over-baked.

I thought these had a good balance between the chocolate and coffee flavors, with neither overtaking the other. The texture when freshly baked was quite light and soft, but became denser overnight. I appreciate that this is definitely more muffin than cake, not heavily sweetened. I put a couple of them in the freezer, and most of the rest were immediately dispatched to family and friends. Everyone got back to me quickly with appreciative comments. I have one more for tomorrow, and I will warm it in the toaster oven to refresh it a bit before I eat it.

9 Likes

Third visit to Dorie’s Cheese Puffer recipe, this time inspired by an ode from @seal to Chef Ludo. I used Boursin for the cheese, whisking it in with the egg and milk. I folded in some fresh chives at the end. I’m learning not to overbeat these things (gentle hand), and not to weigh them down with too many add-ins.

I’m a Boursin fan, and thought the flavor, while mild, was great. I do notice, however, that the fattier the cheese used the denser (and less eggy) the puffs.

13 Likes

Wow! Those look great. I usually settle for Red Lobster’s biscuits but no more! :grin:

1 Like

Texture-wise, these are far cry from a biscuit, but still delicious. :yum:

1 Like

DORIE GREENSPAN’S QUICK CORNBREAD.

Another recipe from the book which I found on-line here.

I made a half recipe in an 8” cast-iron skillet – no add-ins or toppings, but I did use both fine and coarse cornmeal (about 70/30 respectively). I love the efficiency of melting the butter for the bread in the same skillet in which you bake, and I like almost any recipe with buttermilk.

Handily, the bread baked at the same temperature as a fish I cooked for dinner tonight. I pulled out the finished bread, stuck in the pan-seared filet, and about 7 minutes later dinner was ready. The cornbread still was warm.

I love the simplicity of this recipe, and it makes a pretty good, moist, not too cakey cornbread. We have half of it leftover for breakfast tomorrow, which we’ll enjoy toasted with a slice of fried ham. I don’t make cornbread often, so the bar is fairly low, but we liked it and I’ll make it again.

13 Likes

Father’s Day Blueberry-Cherry Pie page 269
Sour Cream Pie Dough Page 350
SC Pie dough Flour,sugar,salt are zapped in food processor a few times. Butter is added and pulsed till you get moist clumps. Put dough in bowl and add sour cream. Incorporate with fork and then gently mix till dough sticks together. Gather it up and refrigerate. I made half the recipe. The crust bakes up having a layered look
Filling. this Pie has a very generous amount of filling. I didn’t think it would fit into 9"pie but it did. 680 grms of pitted halved cherries, 600 grams of blueberries. Half of each fruit is put in a saucepan add sugar,water, salt, spices if using and boil until jam consistency. Stir in flour and cook for about a minute more. Remove from heat and add uncooked fruit. Roll out pastry and sprinkle almond flour on bottom crust add your filling and cover with top pastry. Bake at 425 for 20 and 375 40 minutes. I baked my pie for 15 and then for 35 minutes. When Pie is

out of the oven immediately brush with glaze made of icing sugar and water. This Pie is excellent. I like the method of cooking half the fruit and adding uncooked to it. Will use for other pies. The glaze adds a nice touch but doesn’t make the Pie sweeter.

13 Likes

Beautiful pie, and nice review!

As a side note, Rose Levy B. also has a 25/75 cooked/uncooked blueberry pie recipe which we find awesome.

2 Likes

And Alice Medrich has a blueberry tart recipe where the cooked/uncooked blueberry filling goes into a fully baked sweet tart crust and is simply chilled until set.

ETA, Medrich’s melted-butter, press-in crust is my go-to sweet tart crust. Not only is it simple to make, it has a wonderful tender-crumbly texture and always elicits compliments.

6 Likes

Alice’s filling is similar to RLB’s. I can hardly wait until blueberry season to sink my teeth into one of those (I make them as tarts, also) - the texture of the cooked and uncooked berries as it bursts in your mouth is amazing! :yum:

Photo from last year.

12 Likes

Hi stranger,
I just got a hard copy from the library so I have to get a move on. I decided it’s too expensive a book to buy and when I took out the ebook from the library I never made anything. I need a copy on front of me to get inspiration.
The blueberry thongs look good and the cheese puffers.

3 Likes