May–August 2022 Baking Book: BAKING WITH DORIE

ginnyhw:

Your post was directed at LulusMom1, but I wanted to say it’s good to see you!

4 Likes

Ditto!

4 Likes

That looks so fresh and delicious

2 Likes

Here is Dorie’s blueberry biscuit with freshly picked garden strawberries and whipped cream. Using wet biscuits from the freezer, I brushed them with milk and rolled generously in raw sugar before baking. Pressed for initiative, I went with the ISI charger for whipping the cream. It would be much more elegant with cream whipped by a mixer or by hand. Delicious, by any means – probably the best strawberry short cake I’ve ever had.

13 Likes

Very generous with the strawberries, love it!

2 Likes

Very generous with the strawberries, love it!

Lol. Some days we cut them up and freeze them, other days, we eat the whole bowlful. :yum:

2 Likes

DEVIL’S FOOD PARTY CAKE (p. 89)

I did not make this cake, but Lulu did. Unfortunately for this report, I wasn’t around when she made it, so I don’t have lots of details. But I did get to eat a slice, and holy cow, is it good. It is (and this will sound crazy) both dense and light. It has a very tight crumb, but somehow feels very light weight. LLD described it as almost torte like. Lulu made it for a friend’s birthday, and had a little party on our back porch; the friend felt like it wasn’t cake like enough, and only ate the frosting. Everyone else loved it, including the parents. The frosting is amazing, almost like a chocolate mousse, although that is probably over-stating it. But it seemed lighter than most buttercreams. Anyway, this was a beautiful and delicious cake.

12 Likes

It sounds like a delicious cake! The friend’s take is so funny.

3 Likes

She’s 16 - you know the drill. Crazy.

2 Likes

I do, but Lulu MADE HER A CAKE. Eat the cake!

6 Likes

When I originally looked through this ebook, this cake didn’t grab me … I just think “heavy” when I read Devil’s Food Cake. Your description completely changed my mind, I can’t wait to make it. Did Lulu make 4 layers? Use Valrhona? Any photos?

1 Like

I don’t have any photos, I’ll try to subtly ask if there are any. My memory (this was last weekend) is that it was three layers. It definitely had some density, but, as Lulu put it, it was almost like it was like angel food cake. Then again, I don’t remember ever serving her angel food cake, so there you go. But she is an intern at a cooking school, so there is a chance she’s had/made it there.

1 Like

So good to hear from you and about Lulu’s kitchen adventures. It sounds wonderful!

3 Likes

Amazon now has this book for $14.46. I think this is the regular price and not a prime day item. They don’t seem to have print cookbooks for prime day this year.

3 Likes

Thanks for that - just bought it.

2 Likes

CARROT MUFFINS P. 65

I chose this muffin recipe because it has vegetables. Intentional modifications included using 25% white whole wheat, subbing boiled cider for the pomegranate molasses, and swapping about 1/3 of the carrot for zucchini (wrung dry). Unintentional modifications including reversing the sugar amounts – I ended up using the larger amount of brown, and smaller amount of white. I used dried cranberries – soaked and roughly chopped – and chopped pecans for add-ins.

These came out very tender and light, as the recipe promised. The ginger and orange were a nice addition. We both liked the results quite a bit, and I found the recipe different enough from another, more rustic carrot and zucchini muffin that I make, that I’ll be keeping this version in my collection, as well.

NOTE: she means it when she says these will fill the pan – the muffins were just touching after baking.

10 Likes

Dorie’s blueberry biscuit over a Chez Panisse filling for blueberry cobbler.

These were baked from wet biscuits which I had frozen prior. I moved them from the freezer to the fridge three hours before baking, and from the fridge to the counter while the oven pre-heated. The biscuits were brushed with milk and sprinkled with raw sugar just before being placed on top the berry mixture and put in the oven. I pre-heated to 400 degrees, reduced to 375 upon insertion, and baked for 50 minutes until the berries were bubbling and the biscuits reached an internal temp of 200 and were nicely browned.

Absolutely delicious. Next time, I will throw caution to the wind and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

10 Likes

BUTTERMILK SCONES Page 52
A very simple recipe. Flour, sugar,baking powder and soda are mixed together. To this butter is added and using your fingers you mash till butter is size of peas. To this buttermilk and cold egg is added and mixed this it just comes together. Then with your hands

form into a ball and place on lightly floured surface. This is a very sticky dough and I dusted my surface a little more than lightly. I patted my dough to the width of my scone pan, reversed my pan, marked the cutting lines. The scones really rose during baking and I wondered how difficult it would be to take them out. They came out like a charm.
A friend of mine gave me a recipe over 40 years ago(she is now 86) and her mother use to bake buttermilk scones for a tea house. The recipe is so similar except for butter vegetable shortening is used. I have been baking them for decades.

7 Likes

I wonder why yesterday’s post disappeared

I think you posted it in the what are you baking thread instead, and it’s still over there.