May 2017 Home Cooking DOTM - ASPARAGUS

Glad to provide or should I say return the inspiration
A salad you made earlier in the
week got me started back on the eggs with salad
and veggies for dinner … could eat this everyday

1 Like

I made a salad-less variation of “Asparagus and Arugula Salad with Cannellini Beans” from ATK’s Vegan For Everyone. I caramelized red onions in a cast-iron skilled on high, added salt & pepper and then 1" lengths of asparagus until they were charred and still crisp. Off heat, I then added big cannellini beans that I’d cooked in a pressure cooker plus a white balsamic vinaigrette. Nutty, chestnut like flavor of the beans worked great with the fresh and vegetal asparagus.

6 Likes

Fire!

6 Likes

My farm stand has super local, it’s $4.50 a bunch. So far I made my two standard recipes…stir fried with sesame seeds, lemon and Tabasco, and also a batch wrapped in prosciutto and grilled.

6 Likes

Thai-style stir-fried asparagus, with chicken
Very simple recipe from David Thompson’s Thai Food book. Pat nor mai farang - Pound the garlic and salt with a pestle and mortar. Heat up the pan, add oil, garlic and chopped asparagus, stir-fly about 3 minutes, until tender. Add 2 table spoon of stock of water, soy sauce and a pinch of sugar, simmer for another minute.

I cooked the chicken separately and mixed them after the vegetables were cooked.
Served with roasted potatoes and some vegetables cooked in a curry sauce aside a day ago.

The baby asparagus were bought in a Thai grocery.

4 Likes

That fire ! Some explaination please!

1 Like

Hi NAF. That’s the top-of-the-hob broiler on my vintage Chambers stove. It’s handy. While 22k BTUs are heating up the broiler plate, the griddle above can be used for high-heat sautee.
They stopped making Chambers in the early sixties.

1 Like

Thanks for explanation! Very impressive indeed. Meaning there won’t be smoke when cooking?

Yes, that’s right. The broiler lowers into a closed box. A lever adjusts the broiler surface relative to the flame. When the box is closed a separate griddle on top of the assembly is heated and serves as a cooking surface.

2 Likes

Asparagus with seasoned mashed hard boiled eggs and chives. Sliced store-bought roast beef and mustard filled roulade (rolled up pork belly).

Eaten with steamed bread and Chinese roasted pork (both store-bought. Hey, I’m no domestic goddess.)

2 Likes

Asparagus sauce with tortellini, fresh peas, and bottarga.

I accidentally cooked my asparagus soup down to a sauce consistency, so I decided to work with it. I added a bit of cream and some fresh English peas, then tossed with tortellini, Romano cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil. Topped off with some grated bottarga left over from last night. A nice unexpected lunch out of leftovers, I love that.

5 Likes

I like all your photos and recipes . I am going to pass on asparagus DOTM . For crying out loud it is $4.19 a pound where I live . I don’t no why it costs so much . I like it . But not that much . I had it once this year . Good enough .:confounded:

Chicken is $7 a pound. Live a little, life is short. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sheesh. Cheaper to just buy three more stomachs and just eat grass. Moooooooo…

I like your reply Book . I am far from being a cheap ass when it comes to buying food . I don’t know why I blinked a eye at the asparagus cost . I’ll pick some up tomorrow and get back in the pool . :grinning:

2 Likes

:clinking_glasses::kissing_heart:

1 Like

I SO have to make this…! What a fantastic combination of flavors and textures !

Asparagus risotto. I steeped the asparagus ends in a light chicken broth for added vegetable flavor. Finished with some parmesan and truffle cheese.

5 Likes

Asparagus + eggs +/- rice /bread/pasta = dinner + lunch
It’s also about $4/lb here in nyc (or more!) but if i add a few other ingredients to make it a meal i can restrain myself to a half pound per serving :wink:

1 Like

Dayam. I WANT ONE NOW! :::Veruca Salt foot stomp:::

1 Like