Mauviel M'Cook or Demeyere Industry 5?

Hi! I am the proud owner of a new house with a new gas stove and would like to upgrade some of my cookware. I’ve spent the last few weeks reading so many old posts on here on Chowhound and have narrowed my choices down to the two in the subject line. I plan to start with an 11-12" skillet and a ~3qt saucepan.

From what I’ve read, it seems clear the Demeyere skillet will be more even and retain more heat, probably better for searing. But the Mauviel may be more responsive and better for sauteeing vegetables. Are the high sidewalls of the Demeyere skillet an issue for anyone? Don’t know if there’s any real practical difference between the two when it comes to the saucepans.

I have no idea if @Gooster is still active here, but was hoping to hear from them (or anyone else) as I know from the old threads that they have experience with both lines.

1 Like

I think you pretty much know everything already. Both are very similar in construction. One difference is that Demeyere Industry 5 is a little thicker and possibility a little more even heating and able to retain more heat. Both are high quality cookware.

Since they are so similar in many ways, I am going to point out some minor differences. M’Cook sidewall comes up more shallow and Industry 5 pan sidewall comes up more steep. In addition, M’ Cook handle has rivets

and Industry 5 handle does not use rivets.

For some people, this is an important difference.

Hi alxn54,

I completely redid my collection of pots and pans for induction more than five years ago with an early commitment to demeyere, but ended up with only one demeyere piece–an egg poacher.

I only had to heft the proline once to make a final decision, and Industry is better, but is it only between Industry and MCook? In addition to several different lines of All Clad, I’ve done very well with pieces from WS Thermoclad, and Hestan nanobond–my favorite 28 cm fry pan.

I know it is difficult, but seeing the product face to face can be a radical decision changer… I believe that there are at least five other manufacturers that could work as well as the two you have chosen to compare.

Ray

Thank you. From a looks perspective, I prefer the shape of Mauviel, but that’s purely aesthetic. The rivetless design of the Demeyere is nice though! Decisions decisions.

Thanks. All-Clad was actually the first brand I considered but then I held one in person and couldn’t stand the handles. I hadn’t considered Thermoclad or Hestan but will take a look. Unfortunately I don’t have anywhere locally to handle the Industry 5 or M’Cook.

I own the Mauviel M’Cook 11" / 28cm pan. I like it. Even distribution of heat, ease to clean. I cook on induction top. The rivets do not bother me. Love the design. M’Cook’s side-wall is more slanting than Industry, and the handle is rather long. Haven’t tried the other pan. I think it’s important to see and feel the pans in real for decisions if you can test it in a shop.

Maybe buy both online and return the one you don’t want to keep.

In the United States, the only place that displays demeyere is Sur La Table. Thermoclad and Hestan are at Williams-Sonoma. You might find Le Creuset SS at the Le Creuset discount store or Sur La Table.

There are at least five or six European lines that are outstanding–but hard to look at, and no US support… The more you look at face to face, the better you’ll know yourself.

Besides, it’s fun!

Ray

1 Like

I’d been considering this and may end up doing so!

1 Like

Both brands will serve you well.

You could also look into De Buyer Affinity, Demeyere Pro Line/Atlantis and Falk Copper core.

I have 4-5 years daily experience using Mauviel M’CookI own 12-15 M’Cook pans.

They are my daily drivers so to say.
I prefer my Falk & Mauviel 2.5 copper pans, but as daily drivers Mauviel M’Cook is hard to beat.

I would personally go for a thicker PLY pan or cast iron/carbon steel for high heat searing, that M’Cook, but M’Cook can most certainly still sear a great steak.

For quick sauteing and sauces, Mauviel M’Cook is hard to beat unless you compare it to 2.5 & 2.0 bimetal copper.

I would get a range of different type pans instead of just buying one brand pans.
They all have their strenghts and weaknesses.

1 Like

Hi Claus,

The difference in the United States is the dominance of All Clad–both on the ground and online. Ebay typically lists about 3000 All Clad items at any one time–including very specialized pieces. All Clad also has very regular “seconds” sales online.

When I first started with induction, I was able to purchase two 10" D5 pans–one nonstick and the other SS with one globular lid for about $130–which I still use on a regular basis. I followed this with a set of very nice hand tools, and a number of other pots and pans–all at very good prices. Among my more recent finds was my 2 qt. coppercore saucier–which is a real joy to use (and look at).

Many users here have had All Clad products for decades. They last for a long time.

Even though they have an extensive collection of product lines, All Clad is only one product among a bigger portfolio. Very inexpensive pans like T-fal can be bought at the All Clad sales. They also have tea pots, toaster, pressure cookers, and other cook’s tools: even a pretty good All Clad line of kitchen knives

I have both. For the skillets, I would go for the Demeyere (or the proline) in 24cm and higher (the smaller is the same thickness). For the saucepans, once again I would go for the Demeyere. The ease of cleanup is better on the Demeyere than the Mauviel. The Mauviel are beautiful but they are a bit thinner, more like All-Clad. If you prefer the less industrial handle, seek out the 5Plus line. (eta – sorry I did not see how old the original post was)

While ease of cleanup is nice, safety for me is more important.

I know of two chefs working in professional kitchen with a Demeyere Apollo where the handles fell off during service.

It’s not often you hear about it, thank god for that, but a pan with rivets will tell you when it’s about to fall off.

I don’t have issues with rivets and dirt. Some do. I don’t.

I do own a Demeyere wok without rivets, and I do pay extra attention to this pan, when holding it and jump sautéing with it.

Hi Ray,

In Europe All Clad is close to impossible to get.

However I do have a friend who owns an All Clad D5 frying pan. It’s quite nice, but I dislike the overall look of All Clad. I hate the handle design, it looks off to my eyes.

Furthermore the handles on All Clad are even less ergonomic to me than the already quite unergonomic Mauviel handles.

If you want Mauviel in the US, you can just go online and order it.

Claus,

Not all All Clad lines have the same handles–but they do have an All Clad look.

All Clad has trouble shooters to talk with on the phone–local representatives–repair capabilities–measures are in inches and pounds–they have design patent protection.

With very little effort, one can find incredible bargains–sometimes at a goodwill store for a few dollars.

Unless an American is just sick of them, or bored to tears–why would he/she order a more expensive French pan that has built it’s reputation selling copper–sight unseen?

Only reason I can think of is because the All Clad handles are among the worst looking and feeling handles ever placed on a pan, but that’s of course subjective.

I just know, that unless I got an All Clad pan as a gift, I would never own a pan from that brand.

I’m sure All Clad cookware perform excellent, probably at least as good as Mauviel M’Cook, but I’m just never going to be a fan of anything All Clad.

With that said, I’m honestly not a huge fan of Mauviel M’Cook - I just happen to own 12-14 of their pans, because I was a Mauviel snob back in 2017. I’m not any more, but M’Cook still perform excellent for me, so no complaints there.

I also think one has to look at the Mauviel brand in another perspective these years.
Most professional top restaurants don’t use copper cookware anymore, and you see a lot of PLY/Clad cookware in the michellin restaurants these years.

The most popular brand of PLY/Cladded cookware I have been able to find among the many 100’s vidoes I’ve watched from top restaurants feature Mauviel M’Cook cookware in many of the kitchens and that’s a pretty good sign, that Mauviel M’Cook cookware is solid performing cookware.

Why this change, may i ask?

It’s hard to explain. I’m still a fan of the Mauviel brand, but not a snob as I used to be back in 2017, when I thought Mauviel was the best cookware brand in the world.

M’Cook performs really well - but if I was buying new PLY/clad cookware today, I would buy a combination of different brands, among them there could be a couple of M’Cook pieces.

Don’t get me wrong, Mauviel M’Cook still is high end cookware, but there are other brands out there like De Buyer & Demeyere that performs as well or better for certain tasks in the kitchen.

I guess you can compare it to buying a Ferrari and thinking this is the best sportscar in the world, and then later on you try a Maserati, a Pagani and a Porsche GT.

I also began buying Mauviel M250, De Buyer copper and Falk 2.5 copper cookware in 2018, and that made me look at my M’Cook cookware with different eyes. It’s still great cookware, but not the be all end of cookware.

M’Cook is my daily cookware, I store sauces and food in my M’Cook pans in the fridge and they get scracthed and dinged up a bit - it’s ok. Copper cookware is my luxury cookware and I try to baby my copper cookware a bit, I’m still using it to the max, but I’m not abusing it like I sometimes do with my M’Cook pans & pots.

I envy your copperware. My home is situated in an “ecological zone” and gas is forbidden. I use induction hob to cook.

BTW, do you recommend Mauviel’s other lines, they have M’Stone, M’360, M’Inox Onxy etc, are they any good? I see them on promotion more often, but I suspected they are overpriced for the quality and surfing on the reputation of the brand on their pro line.

1 Like

I think the Mauviel Onyx and 360 lines are really overpriced, and unless I got them for dirt cheap, I would never consider buying these sub brands from Mauviel.

I own 4 of the Mauviel M’Stone non stick pans and pots and they perform really well for ceramic non stick cookware, but I don’t think they’ll last as long as my favourite non stick cookware (Demeyere Alu Pro). They get scrathed quite easily, but they perform EXCELLENT and as soon as my Mauviel M’Stone 24 cm non stick sauter pan is ready to be binned I’m buying that exact same model again - I’m using that pan for my Frittatta, bulgur dishes and for reheating leftovers without using too much oil/fat (and the 24 cm Demeyere Alu Pro 24 cm sauter pan is too small and not high sided enough for my taste).

The M’Steel is their carbon carbon steel line and here I far prefer De Buyer Mineral B Pro and Darto.
The M’Steel line is thinner than the Darto and De Buyer Mineral B line and when it comes to carbon steel thicker is king, unless you’re using a carbon steel wok, where thinner to a certain degree is better.

2 Likes

I own these. It took me forever to season them properly, but now I really enjoy them. Unfortunately, it’s 8 years later now and they are getting a bit heavy for me. I have been eyeing thinner model of carbon steel. I will look at M’Steel. Thanks for the info.